Working with public parks on charging

Friends,
Just after reserving a spot in favorite campsite in a NJ State Forest, I
spoke to the Park Office about charging...and I definitely have the ear of
the manager of this park.
And she is meeting with NJ DEP and her peers around the State this week.
I would like to present a summary of the options.  Has anyone done this?

For exampe,
Last year, I was told it would be OK to charge at the bathouse/restrooms.

I found a small building with about 5 individual bathrooms,  but 0 outlets
outside.....

I couldn't charge without blocking a door.   This would be pretty easy to
fix.

I was able to L1 charge behind the office while hiking but it is far from
the tents....

L2 charging is more expensive to set up, but not an order of magnitude.

I might even find like-minded individuals to chip in a sponsorship.

DC Fast charging....is another topic altogether.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Seth

Re: Working with public parks on charging

Please see all the successful outdoor outlets and signs we have
accomplished:

http://aprs.org/EV-charging-signs.html

Even putting up a sign and having an EXTENSION cord in the ranger's office
is sufficient.  Just having the sign up is 99% of the awareness that EV's
need so desperately... even if no one actually uses it.

Bob

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Seth Rothenberg via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Friends,
> Just after reserving a spot in favorite campsite in a NJ State Forest, I
> spoke to the Park Office about charging...and I definitely have the ear of
> the manager of this park.
> And she is meeting with NJ DEP and her peers around the State this week.
> I would like to present a summary of the options.  Has anyone done this?
>
> For exampe,
> Last year, I was told it would be OK to charge at the bathouse/restrooms.
>

> I found a small building with about 5 individual bathrooms,  but 0 outlets
> outside.....
>
> I couldn't charge without blocking a door.   This would be pretty easy to
> fix.
>

> I was able to L1 charge behind the office while hiking but it is far from
> the tents....
>

> L2 charging is more expensive to set up, but not an order of magnitude.
>
> I might even find like-minded individuals to chip in a sponsorship.
>

> DC Fast charging....is another topic altogether.
>

> Thanks for your suggestions.
>

> Seth
> group/NEDRA)

Re: Working with public parks on charging

brucedp5
This post was updated on .
I suggest you make contact with former evdl member Will Beckett.
I do not have his email address, but his contact info is on:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/beckett-pc-solutions-aptos

https://www.facebook.com/BeckettPcSolutions/

(His experience)
Several years ago way, way back when Will was driving the sister EV to my S-10 Blazer Solar-Electric (defunct) had converted for me, which Will bought off actor Robin Williams (rip), see
http://www.evalbum.com/imgm.php?n=203a.jpg&w=900&h=675
 (image shot at the Almaden Park fun-run where they liked having a no-exhaust support vehicle to tag along with the runners, etc.)

Will had taken his family to Big Basin Park, see
https://goo.gl/maps/i3tS1ktaDjs
 this is way up in the Santa_Cruz-CA mountains, on a twisty-turny 30mph mountain road (of the two ways to get there, even the easier way could be considered 'car-sick alley').

Once up there, and after talking to park rangers for permission, Will parked his EV next to a campground restroom (see the image on the above goo map), and carefully ran (so no one could trip on it) a 12-3 extension cord into the window to get an overnight L1 charge. This way back before j1772. He had his on-board 120VAC charger set to only draw 10A so their outlet's AC breaker would not trip.

I suggest you contact Will (via a phone call), and ask how he sweet-talked the EV-naive park rangers into allowing him to mooch a charge over night.

BTW, later Will sold that Blazer EV
http://www.evalbum.com/203
 to get a Solectria Force EV. But interestingly,
 it looks like that Blazer EV was sold again for export to Norway, see
http://www.evalbum.com/2894
 (I do not think the new owner has the straight story on the history of his notable EV).

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.neocities.org}