Yet another Donor Question

Seth Rothenberg
In the midst of converting a Camry to EV,
and a 2004 Prius to PHEV, I came to another
possibility...

My wife bought gas for her Honda Mini "Schoolbus"
and she said "maybe I should get a Hybrid SUV?"
(she later denied originating this idea :-)

My research shows Toyota Highlander Hybrid
to be an option.   2006 are just past the horizon
on price, but I think in September when 09's come out,
that will improve....and then I'll have another PHEV
candidate.    (I'll be asking the phev list about that also :-)....

My estimate, the HighHy would break even in 2 years
with absolutely no recovery of the Honda residual....

but if I convert the HONDA to EV, that's a profit...

Simple question ends up being, how many KWh
do I need to push a 4300 lb car?
(It can carry 5300 lb GVW or so, meaning 500lb of ? LiOn?)

....AND, Who should I outsource this one to?
I probably can do the Camry.
The Minivan is a job for a veteran.

Thanks.
Seth

Want an EV grin? Convert your car with EV parts from http://www.evsource.com

Re: Yet another Donor Question

EVDL Administrator
On 15 Jun 2008 at 17:46, Seth Rothenberg wrote:

> Simple question ends up being, how many KWh do I need to push a 4300 lb
> car?

How far do you need to push it?  KWh is a measure of energy, so it
determines your range, not your speed or acceleration.

> (It can carry 5300 lb GVW or so, meaning 500lb of ? LiOn?)

Meaning you sure as heck aren't going very far on lead batteries unless you
grossly exceed GVWR.  Do you live somewhere that allows such modifications
to vehicles?  As I understand it, the problem with vans is that they aren't
cargo carriers, so they don't usually have much room between the curb weight
and the GWVR.  (Older VW Microbuses are reportedly an exception, but I've
never owned one, so I don't know for sure.)

The only other approach I can think of is to find a way to shed a LOT of
that flab, which is going to be quite a challenge.  Yikes, 4300lb.  They
call that a MINI-van?  A 1991-95 Caravan / Voyager weighed less than 3300lb.
It probably didn't have any more payload, but at least it would be a little
easier to push off the line.

Anyway, to me, this smells like an expensive project.  Vehicles like this
strike me as something close to hopeless in the absence of plentiful, cheap,
easily-carried concentrated energy (i.e. 1999 gasoline).  But maybe I'm just
being pessimistic.

> ....AND, Who should I outsource this one to? I probably can do the
> Camry. The Minivan is a job for a veteran.

Hmm, why do you think so?

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: Yet another Donor Question

Seth Rothenberg
>> How far do you need to push it?

Let's say 20 miles.   Gets to the Park N Ride and back.

Or even less, it really only needs to go to the supermarket (2),
school (1), etc (1), etc (2).  10 miles.

>>Meaning you sure as heck aren't going very far on lead batteries

Right, I think Lion's or whatevers will be price competitive
by the time this is a reality.   GWVR is indeed the law in NJ.

>>>The Minivan is a job for a veteran.
>>Hmm, why do you think so?

Well, I have the Camry in pieces, the Prius
needs to be upgraded to a PHEV,
and I am halfway through rewiring my kitchen
to 2008 standards.  The rest of the house is 30's or 50's.

>>>Anyway, to me, this smells like an expensive project.
Thanks, Dave, I will keep that in mind - I think
the super-dense batteries are the key.
(If even LiOns are not good enough, we'll pass on it :-)

Thanks!
--
Want an EV grin? Convert your car with EV parts from http://www.evsource.com