You Tube Battery revival guy.

Lawrence Rhodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEq-GbVcFTA  Anyone know who this is and does
it work?  Lawrence Rhodes....

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Evan Tuer
On 8/10/07, Lawrence Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEq-GbVcFTA  Anyone know who this is and does
> it work?  Lawrence Rhodes....

He's on the list (robert04mat), posted this link a while ago:

http://www.geocities.com/robert04mat/electric_pickup_truck.html

It's clearly wishful thinking / publicity stunt / verging-on-Tilley
territory IMO:

"We've taken batteries that most people would consider have exhausted
their lives and are no long usable. And by a secret process we have
revived them."

"help is needed to get this technology into the hands of more people,
for the planet's sake"

Riiight...

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

FRED JEANETTE MERTENS
I do not know if anyone who served in the us navy before 1980 and was an aviation electrician is
on the list :maybe the ATC on the list can confirm ?!! what they told me that they did was empty the acid out  clean / flush the inside and refill with new acid , recharge  and walla they had a like new battery . so what he is saying is not far from what the ae's told me back in the 70s . and if you think about it if you remove the contaminate . the lead is still there and if the separators are ok then this is feasible . ( ae stands for aviation electricians mate )

  http://www.geocities.com/robert04mat/electric_pickup_truck.html<http://www.geocities.com/robert04mat/electric_pickup_truck.html>

  It's clearly wishful thinking / publicity stunt / verging-on-Tilley
  territory IMO:

  "We've taken batteries that most people would consider have exhausted
  their lives and are no long usable. And by a secret process we have
  revived them."

  "help is needed to get this technology into the hands of more people,
  for the planet's sake"

  Riiight...

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Christopher Robison
On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 14:10 -0500, FRED JEANETTE MERTENS wrote:
> I do not know if anyone who served in the us navy before 1980 and was an aviation electrician is
> on the list :maybe the ATC on the list can confirm ?!! what they told me that they did was empty the acid out  clean / flush the inside and refill with new acid , recharge  and walla they had a like new battery . so what he is saying is not far from what the ae's told me back in the 70s . and if you think about it if you remove the contaminate . the lead is still there and if the separators are ok then this is feasible . ( ae stands for aviation electricians mate )

This works for Nicad batteries (common on military aircraft), but I
think not for lead acid. With nicad batteries, the electrolyte (actually
a strong base comprising mainly KOH, not an acid) doesn't exchange ions
between the plates; it only exchanges electrons. The material substance
of the plates themselves is therefore not traveling back and forth,
forming dendrites and such over time as it does with lead-acid
batteries. When a lead-acid battery is at the end of its life, it's my
understanding that the lead in the plates has to be physically melted
down and cast into new plates.

Am I mistaken here? Are there any conditions in which lead-acid
batteries can be revived just by flushing and replacing the acid?

--
Christopher Robison
[hidden email]

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Paschke, Stephen
You would have to remove the sulfate crystals somehow for really tired
batteries.

> Stephen Paschke

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 14:10 -0500, FRED JEANETTE MERTENS wrote:
> I do not know if anyone who served in the us navy before 1980 and was
an aviation electrician is
> on the list :maybe the ATC on the list can confirm ?!! what they told
me that they did was empty the acid out  clean / flush the inside and
refill with new acid , recharge  and walla they had a like new battery .
so what he is saying is not far from what the ae's told me back in the
70s . and if you think about it if you remove the contaminate . the lead
is still there and if the separators are ok then this is feasible . ( ae
stands for aviation electricians mate )

This works for Nicad batteries (common on military aircraft), but I
think not for lead acid. With nicad batteries, the electrolyte (actually
a strong base comprising mainly KOH, not an acid) doesn't exchange ions
between the plates; it only exchanges electrons. The material substance
of the plates themselves is therefore not traveling back and forth,
forming dendrites and such over time as it does with lead-acid
batteries. When a lead-acid battery is at the end of its life, it's my
understanding that the lead in the plates has to be physically melted
down and cast into new plates.

Am I mistaken here? Are there any conditions in which lead-acid
batteries can be revived just by flushing and replacing the acid?

--
Christopher Robison
[hidden email]
http://ohmbre.org          <-- 1999 Isuzu Hombre + Z2K + Warp13!

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended
for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.
You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

TIAA-CREF

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

FRED JEANETTE MERTENS
that is why they flushed them !!!!

  http://ohmbre.org<http://ohmbre.org/>          <-- 1999 Isuzu Hombre + Z2K + Warp13!

  This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended
  for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended
  recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies.
  You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
  the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

  TIAA-CREF

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Mike Willmon-3
I would think you would want to charge them hard first to break as much of the sulphate lose from the plates. Then flush them and refill with electrolyte.  If you drain them when they are dead all you are dumping out basically is water, and the sulphate sticks to the plates.  But as has been said several times on this list there is probably a lot of active material that will come out when doing this.  I'm not sure it would add a whole lot more life back to the battery.

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

>  You would have to remove the sulfate crystals somehow for really
> tired  batteries.
>
>  > Stephen Paschke

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

When I was working in a battery shop many many years ago, this was common
maintenance on large single cell batteries, which are call jars, not cells.
These were clear jars, where we can slide out the grids.

First you must record what the specific gravity of the electrolyte was in
this jar. You than pull out the grids and submersed them into a large glass
container of distill water, so the plates do not sulfate.

This cleaning container that held distill water had a slight virabration to
shake all the loose plate particles of the grids.  It was normal for
batteries that were use for stand by power, was to shake them once in a
while.

The jars are then clean out, sometimes new porous plastic grid seperators
were slide in which overlap the existing one and than push in the new one
while the old one comes out.  You keep doing this until a short is remove
from the cell.

We then install the grids back into the jar, and replace the H2SO4 with the
exact same specific gravity acid you remove.

This type of battery which uses jars, can still be bought today.  Some of
them are design for electric vehicle use.  Exide makes these units that get
up to 4000 AH.  These units are call Exide Tudor Batteries.

> You would have to remove the sulfate crystals somehow for really tired
> batteries.
>
> > Stephen Paschke

EVDL Administrator
> Are there any conditions in which lead-acid
> batteries can be revived just by flushing and replacing the acid?

Depreciated batteries have lower capacity because some of the active
material from the grids is gone.  When the battery is charged, the
electrolyte doesn't rise to the full previous specific gravity.  The low SG
is the symptom, not the disease.

Replacing the electrolyte often restores some of the apparent capacity.
However, the active material can't be replaced, so the grids now are
overdischarged on each cycle.  This accelerates the battery's depreciation.
Thus, the "revival" doesn't last very long.

Bottom line is that you can't really replace lost capacity.  It's gone for
good.  There are no magic revival methods for worn-out batteries, other than
lifting the cell caps and shoving new batteries under them.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Danny Miller-2
Nor can it repair damaged separators or grid.

It seems that it would be difficult to attain the proper specific
gravity.  The cells are probably out of balance when you dumped it.  You
add "fresh" electrolyte and it's not going to be the right specific
gravity to match the plate's state, nor will any amount of charging or
whatnot restore the proper SG.  If you charge it fully and then remove
some acid and replace with distilled water, you could lower it to where
it's supposed to be.  Don't see any way to raise it if it's not high
enough but I think fresh electrolyte's probably as high as you want to go.

Danny

David Roden wrote:

>>Are there any conditions in which lead-acid
>>batteries can be revived just by flushing and replacing the acid?
>>

>Depreciated batteries have lower capacity because some of the active
>material from the grids is gone.  When the battery is charged, the
>electrolyte doesn't rise to the full previous specific gravity.  The low SG
>is the symptom, not the disease.
>
>Replacing the electrolyte often restores some of the apparent capacity.
>However, the active material can't be replaced, so the grids now are
>overdischarged on each cycle.  This accelerates the battery's depreciation.
>Thus, the "revival" doesn't last very long.
>
>Bottom line is that you can't really replace lost capacity.  It's gone for
>good.  There are no magic revival methods for worn-out batteries, other than
>lifting the cell caps and shoving new batteries under them.
>
>David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>EV List Administrator

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Scott Collins
I've read that the "Nanopulser" (easily found via Google) is a device that supposedly shakes off the sulfates (or much of them) on cells that aren't otherwise damaged, and revives the battery of much of it's capacity.

Anyone in the group had any experience with it or have heard much about it anecdotally?

Scott

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

FRED JEANETTE MERTENS
do you think they are use sonic cleaners ?
  I've read that the "Nanopulser" (easily found via Google) is a device that supposedly shakes off the sulfates (or much of them) on cells that aren't otherwise damaged, and revives the battery of much of it's capacity.

  Anyone in the group had any experience with it or have heard much about it anecdotally?

  Scott

Help needed with my Geo Metro

mike golub
HELLO

http://www.texomaev.com-a.googlepages.com/mitsubishieclipseconversion

Help needed with my Geo Metro

mike golub
HELLO

I'm trying to duplicate what Michael did here:

http://www.texomaev.com-a.googlepages.com/mitsubishieclipseconversion

Using the G-29 Aircraft Generator, and no flywheel...a
direct connection to the transmission.

I have a 1204 upgraded controller from logi
48-72volts, and I ran 48volts to the armature through
the controller, and separate 24volts directly to the
field.

I used 8 awg wire for the 24 volt pack, and used a
RY115 relay, which I thought was 30 amp, but it blew,
so I removed a relay and connected through a 30 amp
fuse.

I then started the car, and I really did see that much
difference.

I guess all have to try a 72 volt pack, but I never
found those improved coil springs for the geo
metro...so I really didn't want to add another 200 lbs
in the rear.

thanks in advance,

Michael Golub

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

> I've read that the "Nanopulser" (easily found via Google) is a device
> that supposedly shakes off the sulfates (or much of them) on cells
> that aren't otherwise damaged, and revives the battery of much of
> it's capacity.
>
> Anyone in the group had any experience with it or have heard much
> about it anecdotally?

I am *very* skeptical of all of the magic miracle battery rejevator
schemes. I've tested a bunch of them, and none of them produce any more
benefit than simple cleaning, watering, and properly charge/discharge
cycling the battery alone won't accomplish.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: You Tube Battery revival guy.

Roland Wiench
I met a old geezer a old guy at a café that it was his job to shake standby
power batteries.  If you let batteries set only on float charge or
maintainers, the heavy acid will go to the bottom of the cell and the weaker
solution goes to the top.

He said, driving over the rough roads we have here, will do the job in a EV.
Here they press in color rocks into the asphalt which gives you a rumble
type of ride.

They also had cadmium electrolyte lead acid batteries made by Exide that the
electrolyte color was a purple color you can see through the clear cells. He
said, these type of batteries has a 12 year warranty on them and many of
them went over that with out any internal maintenance.

> > I've read that the "Nanopulser" (easily found via Google) is a device
> > that supposedly shakes off the sulfates (or much of them) on cells
> > that aren't otherwise damaged, and revives the battery of much of
> > it's capacity.
> >
> > Anyone in the group had any experience with it or have heard much
> > about it anecdotally?
>
> I am *very* skeptical of all of the magic miracle battery rejevator
> schemes. I've tested a bunch of them, and none of them produce any more
> benefit than simple cleaning, watering, and properly charge/discharge
> cycling the battery alone won't accomplish.
>
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Re: Help needed with my Geo Metro

Mike.B
Mike, I purchased from JCWhitney a set of helper
springs that bolt to the rear axle of a front wheel
drive vehicle.  They have them rated from 1000lbs to
2000lbs.  I purchased the 2000lbs version and so far
so good.  I've got 13 golf cart batteries in the back
of the Eclipse.

If you aren't getting enough torque with the 24volt
field pack, you might try 36vdc.  I seem to have
plenty of torque at 24vdc, but am running a 78vdc pack
for the armature.

--- mike golub <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HELLO
>
> I'm trying to duplicate what Michael did here:

http://www.texomaev.com-a.googlepages.com/mitsubishieclipseconversion

> Using the G-29 Aircraft Generator, and no
> flywheel...a
> direct connection to the transmission.
>
> I have a 1204 upgraded controller from logi
> 48-72volts, and I ran 48volts to the armature
> through
> the controller, and separate 24volts directly to the
> field.
>
> I used 8 awg wire for the 24 volt pack, and used a
> RY115 relay, which I thought was 30 amp, but it
> blew,
> so I removed a relay and connected through a 30 amp
> fuse.
>
> I then started the car, and I really did see that
> much
> difference.
>
> I guess all have to try a 72 volt pack, but I never
> found those improved coil springs for the geo
> metro...so I really didn't want to add another 200
> lbs
> in the rear.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Michael Golub

Re: Help needed with my Geo Metro

Mike.B
Here's a link to the coil helper springs at JCWhitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_15887G_CL_1.jpg

Hopefully the link will work.

--- Michael Barkley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike, I purchased from JCWhitney a set of helper
> springs that bolt to the rear axle of a front wheel
> drive vehicle.  They have them rated from 1000lbs to
> 2000lbs.  I purchased the 2000lbs version and so far
> so good.  I've got 13 golf cart batteries in the
> back
> of the Eclipse.
>
> If you aren't getting enough torque with the 24volt
> field pack, you might try 36vdc.  I seem to have
> plenty of torque at 24vdc, but am running a 78vdc
> pack
> for the armature.
>

> --- mike golub <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > HELLO
> >
> > I'm trying to duplicate what Michael did here:

http://www.texomaev.com-a.googlepages.com/mitsubishieclipseconversion

> > Using the G-29 Aircraft Generator, and no
> > flywheel...a
> > direct connection to the transmission.
> >
> > I have a 1204 upgraded controller from logi
> > 48-72volts, and I ran 48volts to the armature
> > through
> > the controller, and separate 24volts directly to
> the
> > field.
> >
> > I used 8 awg wire for the 24 volt pack, and used a
> > RY115 relay, which I thought was 30 amp, but it
> > blew,
> > so I removed a relay and connected through a 30
> amp
> > fuse.
> >
> > I then started the car, and I really did see that
> > much
> > difference.
> >
> > I guess all have to try a 72 volt pack, but I
> never
> > found those improved coil springs for the geo
> > metro...so I really didn't want to add another 200
> > lbs
> > in the rear.
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > Michael Golub

Re: Help needed with my Geo Metro

mike golub
Do these replace the rear springs I have?

Or is these an additional set?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2005887/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2005887/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=helper+springs

--- Michael Barkley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a link to the coil helper springs at
> JCWhitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_15887G_CL_1.jpg

> Hopefully the link will work.
>

> --- Michael Barkley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Mike, I purchased from JCWhitney a set of helper
> > springs that bolt to the rear axle of a front
> wheel
> > drive vehicle.  They have them rated from 1000lbs
> > 2000lbs.  I purchased the 2000lbs version and so
> far
> > so good.  I've got 13 golf cart batteries in the
> > back
> > of the Eclipse.
> >
> > If you aren't getting enough torque with the
> 24volt
> > field pack, you might try 36vdc.  I seem to have
> > plenty of torque at 24vdc, but am running a 78vdc
> > pack
> > for the armature.
> >

> > --- mike golub <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > HELLO
> > >
> > > I'm trying to duplicate what Michael did here:

http://www.texomaev.com-a.googlepages.com/mitsubishieclipseconversion

> > > Using the G-29 Aircraft Generator, and no
> > > flywheel...a
> > > direct connection to the transmission.
> > >
> > > I have a 1204 upgraded controller from logi
> > > 48-72volts, and I ran 48volts to the armature
> > > through
> > > the controller, and separate 24volts directly to
> > the
> > > field.
> > >
> > > I used 8 awg wire for the 24 volt pack, and used
> > > RY115 relay, which I thought was 30 amp, but it
> > > blew,
> > > so I removed a relay and connected through a 30
> > amp
> > > fuse.
> > >
> > > I then started the car, and I really did see
> that
> > > much
> > > difference.
> > >
> > > I guess all have to try a 72 volt pack, but I
> > never
> > > found those improved coil springs for the geo
> > > metro...so I really didn't want to add another
> 200
> > > lbs
> > > in the rear.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Michael Golub

Re: Help needed with my Geo Metro

Mike.B
They don't replace the original springs, just add them
to the axle just beind the others, as close to the
wheel you can.  I believe a gentleman did post a
website earlier in the list of a company that sells
replacement coil springs to your weight specification.
 I believe these addon springs I used are less
expensive though.

I'm working on a tight no money budget with my
project, so I've had to keep cost to a minimum.  Still
hoping someday, I'll walk outside, and find that a 1K
zilla happened to be left on my doorstep to be adopted
by my EV....... LOL