ain't no app for that

Gary Krysztopik-2
I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html

and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/

but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{

Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech

This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".

--
Gary Krysztopik
ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com

Re: ain't no app for that

John Lussmyer
I've been tempted to port ZillaConfig to Android devices, and use a
RS232 to Bluetooth adapter for comms.
It IS a major effort though...

On 1/4/2011 6:53 AM, gary wrote:

> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
>
> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
>
> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
>
> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
>
> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

Re: ain't no app for that

corbin dunn
I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to display information from the Netgain controller.

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus line on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?

corbin

On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:

> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
>
> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
>
> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
>
> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
>
> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
>
> --
> Gary Krysztopik
> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> San Antonio, TX

Re: ain't no app for that

Peter C. Thompson
Hi Folks,

One of the big problems with these tablets is the lack of serial port.
Nice thing about them?  Bluetooth.
So why not just hook a bluetooth adaptor to the various devices and
communicate that way?  It also allows your tablet to be easily removed
(thus foiling thieves).

In  my copious spare time, I'm looking into something that will
interface with the Elithion and Azure Dynamics systems using just this
sort of arrangement.  (In other words, not gonna happen really soon).

Cheers,
     Peter

On 1/4/2011 8:27 AM, corbin dunn wrote:

> I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to display information from the Netgain controller.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus line on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
>
> corbin
>
> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
>
>> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
>>
>> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
>> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
>>
>> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
>>
>> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
>> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
>> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
>>
>> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
>> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
>> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
>> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
>> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
>> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
>> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
>> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
>>
>> --
>> Gary Krysztopik
>> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
>> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
>> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
>> San Antonio, TX

> .

*Peter C. Thompson*
*Qualcomm, Incorporated.*     Office: +1 (858) 658-1936     Mobile: +1
(858) 692-3571
AIM: PThompson509       Yahoo!:peter_thompson       MSN:
[hidden email]       Skype: PThompson509

Re: ain't no app for that

Collin Kidder
Step one: Use an OBDII (or canbus) to Bluetooth adapter. EXCEPT that a lot
of OBDII adapters don't allow for generalized canbus but only OBDII PID
canbus. It could be difficult to find one that will do canbus in general and
isn't a lot of money. Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've
seen prices of over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...

Step two: Write an app for i*/android as I'm sure nothing currently exists.

I am seriously considering writing a program for android and i* that uses a
bluetooth <--> canbus adapter and supports a variety of EV hardware. Since
the bluetooth adapters that currently exist either suck or cost a kidney, I
also have thought about making my own. Truth be told, though, I have doubts
about the market viability of either. Granted, I'm seeing some interest on
this list.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, corbin dunn <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to display
> information from the Netgain controller.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus line
> on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
>
> corbin
>
> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
>
> > I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
> >
> > and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
> >
> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
> >
> > but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
> >
> > Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
> > in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> > displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
> >
> > This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> > concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
> > stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
> > there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
> > the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
> > isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> > That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> > better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
> >
> > --
> > Gary Krysztopik
> > ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> > Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> > blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> > San Antonio, TX

Re: ain't no app for that

Collin Kidder
Well, if you are interfacing with Elithion and AD then I'd suggest canbus
and not serial(rs232). Serial comm isn't so great because it's not a bus
topology and you'd have to have an adapter for each device. In theory a
bluetooth host should be able to connect to 8 other devices but I wouldn't
bet money that android or i* hardware will actually do it. Using canbus with
one bluetooth adapter for all hardware is much more convenient from both a
software and a hardware perspective.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Peter C. Thompson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> One of the big problems with these tablets is the lack of serial port.
> Nice thing about them?  Bluetooth.
> So why not just hook a bluetooth adaptor to the various devices and
> communicate that way?  It also allows your tablet to be easily removed
> (thus foiling thieves).
>
> In  my copious spare time, I'm looking into something that will
> interface with the Elithion and Azure Dynamics systems using just this
> sort of arrangement.  (In other words, not gonna happen really soon).
>
> Cheers,
>     Peter
>
> On 1/4/2011 8:27 AM, corbin dunn wrote:
> > I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to display
> information from the Netgain controller.
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus line
> on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
> >
> > corbin
> >
> > On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
> >
> >> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
> >>
> >> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
> >>
> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
> >>
> >> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
> >> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> >> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
> >>
> >> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> >> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
> >> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
> >> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
> >> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
> >> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> >> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> >> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary Krysztopik
> >> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> >> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> >> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> >> San Antonio, TX

> > .

> *Peter C. Thompson*
> *Qualcomm, Incorporated.*     Office: +1 (858) 658-1936     Mobile: +1
> (858) 692-3571
> AIM: PThompson509       Yahoo!:peter_thompson       MSN:
> [hidden email]       Skype: PThompson509

Re: ain't no app for that

Peter C. Thompson
Hi Collin,

I found a CANBus <--> USB converter so it would be easy to add a USB
<--> Bluetooth converter to the end of that chain.  :)  The CANBus
converter turns all the binary into text, though.

Cheers,
     Peter

On 1/4/2011 9:25 AM, Collin Kidder wrote:

> Step one: Use an OBDII (or canbus) to Bluetooth adapter. EXCEPT that a lot
> of OBDII adapters don't allow for generalized canbus but only OBDII PID
> canbus. It could be difficult to find one that will do canbus in general and
> isn't a lot of money. Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've
> seen prices of over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...
>
> Step two: Write an app for i*/android as I'm sure nothing currently exists.
>
> I am seriously considering writing a program for android and i* that uses a
> bluetooth<-->  canbus adapter and supports a variety of EV hardware. Since
> the bluetooth adapters that currently exist either suck or cost a kidney, I
> also have thought about making my own. Truth be told, though, I have doubts
> about the market viability of either. Granted, I'm seeing some interest on
> this list.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, corbin dunn<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to display
>> information from the Netgain controller.
>>
>> Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus line
>> on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
>>
>> corbin
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
>>
>>> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
>>>
>>> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
>>>
>> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
>>> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
>>> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
>>> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
>>>
>>> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
>>> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
>>> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
>>> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
>>> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
>>> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
>>> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
>>> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary Krysztopik
>>> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
>>> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
>>> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
>>> San Antonio, TX

> .

*Peter C. Thompson*
*Qualcomm, Incorporated.*     Office: +1 (858) 658-1936     Mobile: +1
(858) 692-3571
AIM: PThompson509       Yahoo!:peter_thompson       MSN:
[hidden email]       Skype: PThompson509

Re: ain't no app for that

John O'Connor-3
I'd buy it.

One thing to note is that as I understand it, Apple's  iOS does not have a full Bluetooth stack.

Don't really know what that means though.

John

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2011, at 12:25 PM, Collin Kidder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Step one: Use an OBDII (or canbus) to Bluetooth adapter. EXCEPT that a lot
> of OBDII adapters don't allow for generalized canbus but only OBDII PID
> canbus. It could be difficult to find one that will do canbus in general and
> isn't a lot of money. Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've
> seen prices of over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...
>
> Step two: Write an app for i*/android as I'm sure nothing currently exists.
>
> I am seriously considering writing a program for android and i* that uses a
> bluetooth <--> canbus adapter and supports a variety of EV hardware. Since
> the bluetooth adapters that currently exist either suck or cost a kidney, I
> also have thought about making my own. Truth be told, though, I have doubts
> about the market viability of either. Granted, I'm seeing some interest on
> this list.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, corbin dunn <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to display
>> information from the Netgain controller.
>>
>> Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus line
>> on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
>>
>> corbin
>>
>> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
>>
>>> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
>>>
>>> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
>>>
>> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
>>>
>>> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
>>> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
>>> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
>>>
>>> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
>>> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
>>> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
>>> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
>>> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
>>> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
>>> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
>>> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary Krysztopik
>>> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
>>> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
>>> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
>>> San Antonio, TX

Re: ain't no app for that

John O'Connor-3
that cable looks interesting. all I wan't is terminal access.

A while back I found a terminal App that could supposedly use the headphone jack as a hardwire connection to a serial device.

I never tried because I'm a chicken when is comes to making hardware for use with my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 4, 2011, at 9:53 AM, gary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
>
> and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
> http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
>
> but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store  ;<{
>
> Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take data
> in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
>
> This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed, GPS,
> stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
> there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work with
> the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is already
> isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
>
> --
> Gary Krysztopik
> ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> San Antonio, TX

Re: ain't no app for that

Matt Childress
Collin Kidder scribbled:
> Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've seen prices of
over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...

Not so much anymore!

OBDII Bluetooth adapter that CLAIMS to support CANbus:

        http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921  $54

http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-VAG-COM-SCANTOOL/dp/B
003MQ89X4 $49

I've got 3 from dealextreme on order, and my Electrical Engineering pal
says that because it's based on the ELM327 chipset it *should* do
CANBus.  Planning to hook 'em up to two '07 Prius and whatever POS he
drives (my personal POS 1991 Camry is too old to have an OBD-II port)...

As far as software for ICE vehicles, there's Torque (android), LapLogger
(Blackberry) and Rev by DevToaster (iPhone) -- perhaps collaboration
with these folks would yield something for EV's though I'd really rather
prefer something open source so that any EV'er or small
manufacturer/developer could easily (and profitably) extend the
technology.  So far I've just found the open source SocketCAN drivers
donated to the Linux kernel by Volkswagen research, but these may prove
useful.

I must admit that I don't know a ton about ICE CANbus and ziltch about
CANBus on an EV conversion.  Does it still function?  Does the EV bits
and pieces report on the glider's CANbus?  Most of my knowledge comes
from Wikipedia's entry and subsequent links on CANBus, but we're going
to be delving into it pretty deep for an upcoming project so knowing
about EV's ability to report would be nice...

M@

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to
display
> information from the Netgain controller.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus
line

> on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
>
> corbin
>
> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
>
> > I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
> >
> > and I found a serial to iPhone cable -

http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-teles
cope-control-28121563/

> > but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store
;<{

> > Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take
data
> > in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> > displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
> >
> > This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> > concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed,
GPS,
> > stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's
out
> > there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work
with
> > the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is
already

> > isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> > That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> > better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
> >
> > --
> > Gary Krysztopik
> > ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> > Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> > blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> > San Antonio, TX

http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20110104/16b6e738/a
ttachment.html

Re: ain't no app for that

rodhower
 http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921  $54

I tried to order something from this site and they never verified my attempts to
create an account, even
after sending several requests.
Have you had any luck with them, or is this your first order?
If you do receive your order let us know how it works out.
Rod

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> I'm also really interested in this. I want to write something to
display
> information from the Netgain controller.
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping into the CanBus
line

> on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on an iPhone/iPad?
>
> corbin
>
> On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
>
> > I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
> >
> > and I found a serial to iPhone cable -

http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-teles
cope-control-28121563/

> > but I can't find a Zilla control/display program in the app store
;<{

> > Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user programmable to take
data
> > in and display it?  I see that there is an OBDII cable and app that
> > displays OBDII data - www.gopointtech.com/popmech
> >
> > This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I did see a new e-scooter
> > concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC along with speed,
GPS,
> > stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad there weren't 10,000 Zilla's
out
> > there then we'd have something already.  Seems like this could work
with
> > the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt - the data is
already

> > isolated and digital in the controllers, just send it to an iPhone.
> > That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike but this is even
> > better - the user supplies the "touch-screen PC".
> >
> > --
> > Gary Krysztopik
> > ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> > Alamo City Electric Auto Association - www.aceaa.org
> > blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> > San Antonio, TX

http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20110104/16b6e738/a
ttachment.html

Re: ain't no app for that

Peter C. Thompson
I've used them - they are based in Hong Kong, so sometimes it takes a
while.  It took about two weeks for my order to arrive, so it may not be
the fastest out there.

Cheers,
     Peter

On 1/4/2011 10:06 AM, Rod Hower wrote:

>   http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921  $54
>
> I tried to order something from this site and they never verified my attempts to
> create an account, even
> after sending several requests.
> Have you had any luck with them, or is this your first order?
> If you do receive your order let us know how it works out.
> Rod

Jack Murray
I've got a CanBus -> Wifi in the works, since the tablet I'm using for my cars only has Wifi, not bluetooth, and laptops all have wifi too.
This is much better than serial or USB, no wires.

btw, the $99 Maylong M-150 I have seems to work pretty well, "laggy" as they say, but fast enough, and I can afford to have 3 of them in the car..

The hardware is an issue, but even more so the software, so you can hear now, but do you understand french or english, is it a bonnet or a hood?

I've been working on the android app for displaying data,
the android dev system is a decade behind the times, horrible.

> of OBDII adapters don't allow for generalized canbus but
> only OBDII PID
> canbus. It could be difficult to find one that will do
> canbus in general and
> isn't a lot of money. Canbus to bluetooth adapters are
> insane money. I've
> seen prices of over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...
>
> Step two: Write an app for i*/android as I'm sure nothing
> currently exists.
>
> I am seriously considering writing a program for android
> and i* that uses a
> bluetooth <--> canbus adapter and supports a variety
> of EV hardware. Since
> the bluetooth adapters that currently exist either suck or
> cost a kidney, I
> also have thought about making my own. Truth be told,
> though, I have doubts
> about the market viability of either. Granted, I'm seeing
> some interest on
> this list.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM, corbin dunn <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > I'm also really interested in this. I want to write
> something to display
> > information from the Netgain controller.
> >
> > Does anyone have any tips on how to go about tapping
> into the CanBus line
> > on the Netgain Controller and then reading the data on
> an iPhone/iPad?
> >
> > corbin
> >
> > On Jan 4, 2011, at 6:53 AM, gary wrote:
> >
> > > I'm aware of Zillaview - http://www.evgear.com.au/zillaview.html
> > >
> > > and I found a serial to iPhone cable -
> > >
> > http://www.slashgear.com/skywire-iphone-serial-cable-allows-remote-telescope-control-28121563/
> > >
> > > but I can't find a Zilla control/display program
> in the app store  ;<{
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of an iPhone app that is user
> programmable to take data
> > > in and display it?  I see that there is an
> OBDII cable and app that
> > > displays OBDII data -
> www.gopointtech.com/popmech
> > >
> > > This is pretty cool that it's so close.  I
> did see a new e-scooter
> > > concept that has an iPhone dock and displays SOC
> along with speed, GPS,
> > > stereo, etc. using the iPhone.  Too bad
> there weren't 10,000 Zilla's out
> > > there then we'd have something already.
> Seems like this could work with
> > > the Soliton and Netgain too - no need for a shunt
> - the data is already
> > > isolated and digital in the controllers, just
> send it to an iPhone.
> > > That was the idea with the in-dash PC in my trike
> but this is even
> > > better - the user supplies the "touch-screen
> PC".
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary Krysztopik
> > > ZWheelz, LLC - www.ZWheelz.com
> > > Alamo City Electric Auto Association -
> www.aceaa.org
> > > blog - http://voices.mysanantonio.com/drive_electric_san_antonio/
> > > San Antonio, TX

Re: ain't no app for that

Collin Kidder
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Childress, Matthew
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Collin Kidder scribbled:
> > Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've seen prices of
> over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...
>
> Not so much anymore!
>
> OBDII Bluetooth adapter that CLAIMS to support CANbus:
>
>        http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921  $54
>
> http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-VAG-COM-SCANTOOL/dp/B
> 003MQ89X4 $49
>
> I've got 3 from dealextreme on order, and my Electrical Engineering pal
> says that because it's based on the ELM327 chipset it *should* do
> CANBus.  Planning to hook 'em up to two '07 Prius and whatever POS he
> drives (my personal POS 1991 Camry is too old to have an OBD-II port)...

Yes, those are the OBDII adapters I was referring to. The really glaring
problem with them is that they tend not to ack frames on the network which
aren't part of the OBDII standard. That's a big problem if your adapter is
one of only two devices on the network. If there are more devices then it's
possible that the other devices can do the acks for each other. Having said
that, the ELM327 firmware revision 1.4B does support general frame ack so
that solves that. Too bad the deal extreme adapters are chinese knockoffs
(yes, I've checked. They aren't real ELM327 chips) and they don't support
canbus frame acknowledgement. Also, these adapters output text in some sort
of idiotic format that wastes bandwidth like it's going out of style. This
applies to both the real and fake ELM327 products. I really wish they'd
support raw binary output of the bus. A lot of EV hardware is very chatty.

For what it's worth I do have the one from deal extreme and I've used it
(with Torque) to do OBDII stuff on a 2006 ICE vehicle using canbus. It works
fine for OBDII scanning.

Re: ain't no app for that

Collin Kidder
Oh... and the other problem with the deal extreme adapters (and their ilk):
They seem to be permanently terminated. So you have to be careful to have
only one other terminated device on the bus.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Collin Kidder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Childress, Matthew <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> Collin Kidder scribbled:
>> > Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've seen prices of
>> over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...
>>
>> Not so much anymore!
>>
>> OBDII Bluetooth adapter that CLAIMS to support CANbus:
>>
>>        http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921  $54
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-VAG-COM-SCANTOOL/dp/B
>> 003MQ89X4<http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-VAG-COM-SCANTOOL/dp/B003MQ89X4>$49
>>
>> I've got 3 from dealextreme on order, and my Electrical Engineering pal
>> says that because it's based on the ELM327 chipset it *should* do
>> CANBus.  Planning to hook 'em up to two '07 Prius and whatever POS he
>> drives (my personal POS 1991 Camry is too old to have an OBD-II port)...
>>

> Yes, those are the OBDII adapters I was referring to. The really glaring
> problem with them is that they tend not to ack frames on the network which
> aren't part of the OBDII standard. That's a big problem if your adapter is
> one of only two devices on the network. If there are more devices then it's
> possible that the other devices can do the acks for each other. Having said
> that, the ELM327 firmware revision 1.4B does support general frame ack so
> that solves that. Too bad the deal extreme adapters are chinese knockoffs
> (yes, I've checked. They aren't real ELM327 chips) and they don't support
> canbus frame acknowledgement. Also, these adapters output text in some sort
> of idiotic format that wastes bandwidth like it's going out of style. This
> applies to both the real and fake ELM327 products. I really wish they'd
> support raw binary output of the bus. A lot of EV hardware is very chatty.
>
> For what it's worth I do have the one from deal extreme and I've used it
> (with Torque) to do OBDII stuff on a 2006 ICE vehicle using canbus. It works
> fine for OBDII scanning.

Re: ain't no app for that

Matt Childress
Awesome -- thanks for the head's up -- I scanned over and missed the
second part where you wrote "suck or cost a kidney"... which Kidney
would you recommend??? Still waiting on my ilk/sucker ;-)  I believe it
*should* work for our application...

M@

Oh... and the other problem with the deal extreme adapters (and their
ilk):
They seem to be permanently terminated. So you have to be careful to
have
only one other terminated device on the bus.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Collin Kidder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Childress, Matthew
<[hidden email]

> > wrote:
>
>> Collin Kidder scribbled:
>> > Canbus to bluetooth adapters are insane money. I've seen prices of
>> over $400 for such adapters. No thanks...
>>
>> Not so much anymore!
>>
>> OBDII Bluetooth adapter that CLAIMS to support CANbus:
>>
>>        http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921  $54

http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-VAG-COM-SCANTOOL/dp/B

003MQ89X4<http://www.amazon.com/BLUETOOTH-DIAGNOSTIC-SCANNER-VAG-COM-SCA
NTOOL/dp/B003MQ89X4>$49

>> I've got 3 from dealextreme on order, and my Electrical Engineering
pal
>> says that because it's based on the ELM327 chipset it *should* do
>> CANBus.  Planning to hook 'em up to two '07 Prius and whatever POS he
>> drives (my personal POS 1991 Camry is too old to have an OBD-II
port)...

> Yes, those are the OBDII adapters I was referring to. The really
glaring
> problem with them is that they tend not to ack frames on the network
which
> aren't part of the OBDII standard. That's a big problem if your
adapter is
> one of only two devices on the network. If there are more devices then
it's
> possible that the other devices can do the acks for each other. Having
said
> that, the ELM327 firmware revision 1.4B does support general frame ack
so
> that solves that. Too bad the deal extreme adapters are chinese
knockoffs
> (yes, I've checked. They aren't real ELM327 chips) and they don't
support
> canbus frame acknowledgement. Also, these adapters output text in some
sort
> of idiotic format that wastes bandwidth like it's going out of style.
This
> applies to both the real and fake ELM327 products. I really wish
they'd
> support raw binary output of the bus. A lot of EV hardware is very
chatty.

> For what it's worth I do have the one from deal extreme and I've used
it
> (with Torque) to do OBDII stuff on a 2006 ICE vehicle using canbus. It
works
> fine for OBDII scanning.

Re: ain't no app for that

Collin Kidder
Yeah, like I said, I do have a deal extreme adapter and it works. I don't
mean to suggest otherwise. I just find it lacking in some areas. Price is
not one of those areas. ;-)

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Childress, Matthew <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Awesome -- thanks for the head's up -- I scanned over and missed the
> second part where you wrote "suck or cost a kidney"... which Kidney
> would you recommend??? Still waiting on my ilk/sucker ;-)  I believe it
> *should* work for our application...
>
> M@

Re: ain't no app for that

John Lussmyer
On 1/4/2011 10:12 AM, Jack Murray wrote:
> I've been working on the android app for displaying data,
> the android dev system is a decade behind the times, horrible.

Make sure you use the Eclipse environment for Android dev.

Re: ain't no app for that

Jack Murray
yeah, that's half the problem.. we had better dev environment in 1990.
Eclipse looks like it was built by high school students.
This is the eventual result when there is no profit in something.

> > I've been working on the android app for displaying
> data,
> > the android dev system is a decade behind the times,
> horrible.
>
> Make sure you use the Eclipse environment for Android dev.

Re: ain't no app for that

damon henry

I personally do not find Eclipse that bad.  Any new development environment takes a bit to get used to.  My all time favorite was Visual Basic 6 which I used quite a bit in the late 90's.  Everytime I use a development environment I wish it was my old VB6 IDE instead :)
damon