another one bites the dust

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

another one bites the dust

jonglauser
Well, my EV is off the road. It lasted 2 years (out of an expected
3-4). Too many things wrong with it to make it worth dumping money
into. Now I'm driving a 150cc scooter (which I might later make
electric?).

I loved driving my EV the last couple years, despite the problems I
had with it. It's going to be quite strange NEEDING to stop somewhere
other than home to put fuel in. It will be unusual to have engine
starting problems. But I wont miss having to plan my day around a 15
mile range, or acceleration like a garbage truck.

While I'm not driving an EV anymore, I plan to be back at it when I
can afford a more reliable setup.

-Jon Glauser
http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
http://www.evalbum.com/555

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

Zeke Yewdall
What happened to it?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Jon Glauser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, my EV is off the road. It lasted 2 years (out of an expected
> 3-4). Too many things wrong with it to make it worth dumping money
> into. Now I'm driving a 150cc scooter (which I might later make
> electric?).
>
> I loved driving my EV the last couple years, despite the problems I
> had with it. It's going to be quite strange NEEDING to stop somewhere
> other than home to put fuel in. It will be unusual to have engine
> starting problems. But I wont miss having to plan my day around a 15
> mile range, or acceleration like a garbage truck.
>
> While I'm not driving an EV anymore, I plan to be back at it when I
> can afford a more reliable setup.
>
> -Jon Glauser
> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/555
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101001/d18964fe/attachment.html 
_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

Alan Brinkman
Zeke,

If you click on the line under Jon's signature it takes you to EV Album
#555. You can read some there, and then at the bottom click on "web
page" for more details. As I read it, his charger quit, batteries are
going south, he is thinking the motor coupler is about to quit, and
winter is tough on the vehicle.

Perhaps some of the parts can be salvaged.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
Behalf Of Zeke Yewdall
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 7:40 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] another one bites the dust

What happened to it?

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Jon Glauser <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Well, my EV is off the road. It lasted 2 years (out of an expected
> 3-4). Too many things wrong with it to make it worth dumping money
> into. Now I'm driving a 150cc scooter (which I might later make
> electric?).
>
> I loved driving my EV the last couple years, despite the problems I
> had with it. It's going to be quite strange NEEDING to stop somewhere
> other than home to put fuel in. It will be unusual to have engine
> starting problems. But I wont miss having to plan my day around a 15
> mile range, or acceleration like a garbage truck.
>
> While I'm not driving an EV anymore, I plan to be back at it when I
> can afford a more reliable setup.
>
> -Jon Glauser
> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/555
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101001/d18964fe/a
ttachment.html
_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

dave cover-2
Jon

If the car is in good shape, you may only need a new pack. Take the
winter break to insulate the battery boxes, replace the pack, and
you'll have a year round car. The EVAlbum mentions charging with a
bad, boy. Tsk Tsk. Get the Rusco repaired. You have plenty of motor
and controller for that sized car, it shouldn't be too hard to get it
back on the road.

Good luck,

Dave Cover

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Alan Brinkman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Zeke,
>
> If you click on the line under Jon's signature it takes you to EV Album
> #555. You can read some there, and then at the bottom click on "web
> page" for more details. As I read it, his charger quit, batteries are
> going south, he is thinking the motor coupler is about to quit, and
> winter is tough on the vehicle.
>
> Perhaps some of the parts can be salvaged.
>
> Alan
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Zeke Yewdall
> Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 7:40 AM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] another one bites the dust
>
> What happened to it?
>
> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Jon Glauser <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Well, my EV is off the road. It lasted 2 years (out of an expected
>> 3-4). Too many things wrong with it to make it worth dumping money
>> into. Now I'm driving a 150cc scooter (which I might later make
>> electric?).
>>
>> I loved driving my EV the last couple years, despite the problems I
>> had with it. It's going to be quite strange NEEDING to stop somewhere
>> other than home to put fuel in. It will be unusual to have engine
>> starting problems. But I wont miss having to plan my day around a 15
>> mile range, or acceleration like a garbage truck.
>>
>> While I'm not driving an EV anymore, I plan to be back at it when I
>> can afford a more reliable setup.
>>
>> -Jon Glauser
>> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
>> http://www.evalbum.com/555
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
>> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
>> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
>> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
>> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101001/d18964fe/a
> ttachment.html
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>



--
http://www.evalbum.com/2149

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

EVDL Administrator
On 1 Oct 2010 at 16:01, dave cover wrote:

> You have plenty of motor and controller for that sized car, it
> shouldn't be too hard to get it back on the road.

Yeah, that puzzled me too.  A 96 volt conversion isn't going to be a
barnstormer, but this one sounds unusually torpid.  That range, too - again,
not quite what it should be.  

I'm biased against Exide batteries, so that would be my first change.  I'd
also see if Russ could fix that charger.  

After that, I'd be looking for something that's adding drag.  Sounds like
the tires are up to snuff, but it could be a brake that isn't releasing, or
front wheels with too much toe.  Or maybe something in the traction wiring
getting hot, dumping energy (and power) as heat.

But then there are all the problems Jon had with the coupler.  You can read
that story in the archive.  I guess it comes down to how much you want to
put into a 25 year old glider ... and Jon did mention in one post that he
didn't really like the car all that much to begin with.  Maybe somebody on
this list would like to adopt it and give it some TLC?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not
reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my
email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

Jeffrey Jenkins
EVDL Administrator wrote
Yeah, that puzzled me too.  A 96 volt conversion isn't going to be a
barnstormer, but this one sounds unusually torpid.  That range, too - again,
not quite what it should be.  
It's a ~3300lb vehicle powered by a 96V lead-acid pack and a very long in the tooth 600A controller - of course it's going to accelerate like a dump truck! Besides that...

The batteries have 500 cycles on them, which is about all you can expect out of flooded lead-acid in this application.

The controller is a certified antique.

The charger might be the only thing worth repairing, though not too many people choose 96V these days so you'll probably have to remove the buck transformer to make it more attractive for resale.

And finally... the car itself is a nearly 30 year old Tercel wagon. Nuff said.

Yep, it's definitely time to haul it to a recycler - probably get more out of than the original price paid, too.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

Zeke Yewdall
If I were closer, I'd take it in a minute.  A 4wd wagon EV.  I like
those old tercels....  The motor coupler is the only issue that
concerns me.   I wonder how much it would weigh without the
batteries....to tow it down to Colorado.

Z

On Saturday, October 2, 2010, Jeffrey Jenkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> EVDL Administrator wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, that puzzled me too.  A 96 volt conversion isn't going to be a
>> barnstormer, but this one sounds unusually torpid.  That range, too -
>> again,
>> not quite what it should be.
>>
>
> It's a ~3300lb vehicle powered by a 96V lead-acid pack and a very long in
> the tooth 600A controller - of course it's going to accelerate like a dump
> truck! Besides that...
>
> The batteries have 500 cycles on them, which is about all you can expect out
> of flooded lead-acid in this application.
>
> The controller is a certified antique.
>
> The charger might be the only thing worth repairing, though not too many
> people choose 96V these days so you'll probably have to remove the buck
> transformer to make it more attractive for resale.
>
> And finally... the car itself is a nearly 30 year old Tercel wagon. Nuff
> said.
>
> Yep, it's definitely time to haul it to a recycler - probably get more out
> of than the original price paid, too.
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/another-one-bites-the-dust-tp2915473p2952346.html
> Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

EVDL Administrator
On 2 Oct 2010 at 14:39, Zeke Yewdall wrote:

> I wonder how much it would weigh without the batteries....to tow it
> down to Colorado.

Ninety-six volts' worth of golf car batteries weighs about a half-ton, so if
it's 3300lb now (somebody said that), without the batteries, it'd be about
2300lb.  

That sounds a bit heavy for an EV Tercel to me, though.  Toyoland.com gives
the factory curb weight of second generation Tercels as 1990 - 2140lb.  I'd
expect a 4wd wagon (are we sure it's 4wd?  I don't think all of them were)
to be at the top end of this range, but normally it would lose a hundred or
two when stripped of the gas tank, exhaust system, and engine.

So, I'd guess somewhere between 2000 and 2300lb.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not
reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my
email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: another one bites the dust

Zeke Yewdall
I was going off the EV album entry which says it has the 6 speed 4wd
transmission.  Also, duh... the EV album entry has the weights listed....
about the same as the ranges of weight that you had come up with.

Z

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2010 at 14:39, Zeke Yewdall wrote:
>
> > I wonder how much it would weigh without the batteries....to tow it
> > down to Colorado.
>
> Ninety-six volts' worth of golf car batteries weighs about a half-ton, so
> if
> it's 3300lb now (somebody said that), without the batteries, it'd be about
> 2300lb.
>
> That sounds a bit heavy for an EV Tercel to me, though.  Toyoland.com gives
> the factory curb weight of second generation Tercels as 1990 - 2140lb.  I'd
> expect a 4wd wagon (are we sure it's 4wd?  I don't think all of them were)
> to be at the top end of this range, but normally it would lose a hundred or
> two when stripped of the gas tank, exhaust system, and engine.
>
> So, I'd guess somewhere between 2000 and 2300lb.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator
>
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> EVDL Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not
> reach me.  To send a private message, please obtain my
> email address from the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
> = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20101003/f71ad2d3/attachment.html 
_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev