battery watering

fred ungewitter
It's pretty clear to me from reading this list that distilled water is the right stuff for lead acid batteries with liquid electrolyte. The local markets carry "purified water" and other marketable names for the stuff, but no distilled water is to be found on the shelves.

Where would one look on a local level for say, a two gallon or five gallon container of distilled water?

fred

Re: battery watering

Al-57
Any grocery store has 1 gallon jugs of steam distilled water.

Al

> It's pretty clear to me from reading this list that distilled water is the
> right stuff for lead acid batteries with liquid electrolyte. The local
> markets carry "purified water" and other marketable names for the stuff,
> but no distilled water is to be found on the shelves.
>
> Where would one look on a local level for say, a two gallon or five gallon
> container of distilled water?
>
> fred

Re: battery watering

On 31 Jan 2014 at 19:08, fred wrote:

> The local markets carry "purified water" and other marketable names for
> the stuff, but no distilled water is to be found on the shelves.

Strange.  Just last month I bought distilled water in gallons from my local
Target store.  It was along the back shelf near the grocery section.  The
larger supermarkets also carry it around here.  I've only seen it in gallon
jugs, though, no 2gal or 5gal containers.

It's still used in household steam irons, I think.

Re: battery watering

EV professor
The Walmarts here cary distilled water in gallon jugs for $0.89 as it is
the prefered liquid for sterilizing baby bottle niples , minerals make them
brittle, then they crack. I still buy it for my batteries, in the old golf
cart, in gallons,  it is easy to handle, at seven pounds per bottle...

*Dennis  Miles *

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 12:47 AM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2014 at 19:08, fred wrote:
>
> > The local markets carry "purified water" and other marketable names for
> > the stuff, but no distilled water is to be found on the shelves.
>
> Strange.  Just last month I bought distilled water in gallons from my local
> Target store.  It was along the back shelf near the grocery section.  The
> larger supermarkets also carry it around here.  I've only seen it in gallon
> jugs, though, no 2gal or 5gal containers.
>
> It's still used in household steam irons, I think.
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

Re: battery watering

The local Walgreens has it for around a buck a gallon, but they
sometimes run out of it and then you only find "purified" water, they
are sold side by side on the same shelf, so ask the clerk if they still
have it in the back or go to another supermarket.

Success,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: battery watering

fred ungewitter
I agree that "any" grocery store should have distilled water. I am clearly jumping to conclusions, in the wrong direction by rejecting grocery stores other than the Publix chain in Florida. This particular store, if not the entire chain, does not have on its shelves ordinary distilled water. I suppose the WalMart super store or the Target super store around the corner may have the stuff. Perhaps I should also check the Sam's Club next door for larger volumes. I'm glad to have my understanding about purified water clarified.

fred

Re: battery watering

jgblair
Our hardware store carries it as well.

John

On Feb 1, 2014, at 1:57 AM, fred wrote:

> I agree that "any" grocery store should have distilled water. I am clearly jumping to conclusions, in the wrong direction by rejecting grocery stores other than the Publix chain in Florida. This particular store, if not the entire chain, does not have on its shelves ordinary distilled water. I suppose the WalMart super store or the Target super store around the corner may have the stuff. Perhaps I should also check the Sam's Club next door for larger volumes. I'm glad to have my understanding about purified water clarified.

Distilled water only : battery watering

brucedp5
On an Internet search Fred, it is said you are in the Orlando area. Here
is the grocery stores near there:
http://goo.gl/maps/tnxNG
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?cat=Grocery%20Stores&city=Orlando&state=FL
http://allears.net/btp/grocery.htm
It is possible you have not gone to all your grocery stores in your
area.

Cor is in the South part, while I am up in the North part of Silicon
Valley (south of SF, CA). For us there are several stores that sell
distilled water in a 1 gallon plastic jug.

While I rudely had my EV taken away from me (in the wrong place at the
wrong time=bashed up), I still have need of distilled water to maintain
my PbSO4 house/ups batteries. The places I have found that sell 1gal
jugs of distilled water are:
Walmart, Foodco (Kroger), Kmart; [in the baby-item isle at Latino and
Asian grocery chain stores: ] Mi-Pueblo, Chavez, Mi-Rancho, Ranch-99,
Marina-Food, +more

My local larger grocery chain stores: Safeway, Lucky, Knob-Hill,
Whole-Foods, +
I do not count on them carrying distilled water.

I feel quite certain there isn't a distilled water drought where you
are, you just need to expand your search to the many stores in your
area.
Typically, I can get a gallon for less than a $1.

BTW: to hammer the point of using distilled over anything less, years
ago when my income was flowing nicely, on a new pack change, I purposely
used non-distilled water on that pack to see how it affected the pack (I
could afford to lose a pack at that time).  The water I used was labeled
as "for batteries" or "purified water" (it was not labeled as drinking
or anything else). This was long before my fast charging ability, and I
charged at a normal overnight rate off a level-1 source.

The result was a shorter pack life, less pack performance (more cells
went weak than before), etc.
I am a fast learner, so I never had to do that again. It is far, far
cheaper to pay for distilled water than to prematurely pay to replace a
pack, plus the cost of the downtime, and loss of not being able to drive
my EV.

Conclusion: do not go cheap, *Always use distilled water ... Always.
The manufacturer can only sell "distilled water" when it is labeled as
"distilled".

{brucedp.150m.com}

-

--