car advertising

In contemplating the differences between Tesla and the lesser auto
makers, I see advertising as major.

Auto advertising is expensive and extremely pervasive.  And almost
entirely pointless other than to promote brand name recognition.  I see
auto ads go by on the TV and try to remember to ask myself:  "What have
they told me?"  "What is their point?" "What are they trying to tell
me?".  The answers are "Nothing", "Nothing I'm interested in".

Keeping in mind that every dollar that goes into advertising is paid by
auto buyers, I urge all to pay more attention to the ads and ask
yourselves: "Is this something I want to pay for?".

Many in the Tesla community say that advertising is crucial to Tesla's
continued success.  I could not agree less.

Re: car advertising

My advise has been to steer away from heavily advertised autos, as I imagine they push the vehicles with the highest profit margin. Even in ‘group’ ads I don’t think I ever saw a Bolt or Volt. That’s because they aren’t profit centers. More of the price you pay actually went into the vehicle instead of the dealers’ or manufactures’ pockets.

-Steve

On 7/12/20 2:22 PM, Steves via EV wrote:
> My advise has been to steer away from heavily advertised autos, as I imagine they push the vehicles with the highest profit margin. Even in ‘group’ ads I don’t think I ever saw a Bolt or Volt. That’s because they aren’t profit centers. More of the price you pay actually went into the vehicle instead of the dealers’ or manufactures’ pockets.

The assumption that automakers allocate advertising cost to individual
products may be inaccurate.  I don't know.  I do know that no Tesla has
any advertising dollars bundled into the cost to produce.