cartalk.com sez hard EV acceleration develops squeaks,rattles; wears bearings,struts,ball-joints &tie-rods

cartalk.com sez hard EV acceleration develops squeaks,rattles; wears bearings,struts,ball-joints &tie-rods

https://www.telegram.com/news/20190907/car-talk-put-your-tesla-to-test
Car Talk: Put your Tesla to the test
Sep 7, 2019  Ray Magliozzi

DEAR CAR TALK: I recently bought a Tesla Model 3.

My previous car was a 2008 Mini Clubman S. I enjoyed the Clubman immensely,
mostly for its legendary “go-kart handling.”

Occasionally, I would enjoy punching the accelerator to experience the full
effect of the turbocharger. The turbo would, at times, even be important for
avoiding dicey traffic situations.

I know that driving a gasoline engine hard can shorten its lifespan,
especially over time.

My question is whether hard acceleration has the same effect on electric
cars. It’s not that I plan to drive like a drag racer, but punching the
Tesla can be so darn fun (within the posted speed limit, of course!).

What’s your take? - Jim

RAY: I don’t think electric motors really care how hard you “punch” them,
Jim. They’re designed to go from zero to 100% in an instant and don’t
experience the same kind of mechanical stresses that internal combustion
engines do.

There are no moving pistons, no rings, no crankshaft, no connecting rods or
bearings. That’s one of the great advantages of electric motors. Many fewer
moving parts.

Of course, the engine (or electric motor, in the case of your Tesla) isn’t
the only thing that can be harmed by hard acceleration. Every part of the
car’s suspension gets stressed from all that force, along with every nut and
bolt that holds the car together.

So, it’s not pain-free. And if you drive an electric car hard, you’ll
eventually develop squeaks, rattles and failed suspension parts like you
would on any other car. But it is a heck of a lot of fun!

I think you have it about right, Jim. Once in a while, it’s fine to punch
the accelerator if that makes you smile.

And if you’re concerned about the long-term ramifications, put a dollar in
the console between the seats every time you floor it. That’ll help pay for
the wheel bearings, struts, ball joints and tie rods you’ll eventually need.

Got a question about cars? Write to Ray in care of King Features, 628
Virginia Drive, Orlando, FL 32803, or email by visiting the Car Talk website
at www.cartalk.com.
[© telegram.com]