con-EV: champion& VW-rep Röhrl slams EVs> can't go 800km/500mi (v)

con-EV: champion& VW-rep Röhrl slams EVs> can't go 800km/500mi (v)

https://www.motoring.com.au/walter-rohrl-slams-electric-cars-112254/
Walter Röhrl slams electric cars
April 21, 2018  Michael Taylor

[image
https://motoring.pxcrush.net/motoring/general/editorial/walter-rohl.jpg

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJIa5CQNr4
]

German rally legend under pressure over TV comments

Porsche is under pressure to fire ambassador and former world rally champion
Walter Röhrl after he slammed electric cars during a German television
interview [
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJIa5CQNr4
].

The 1980 and ’82 WRC champion blasted current moves towards electric cars
and electrification as a “disaster” in an interview with Germany’s
MotorsportMagazin.com.

Röhrl has been a Porsche ambassador and a key member of its development team
for nearly two decades, but told the interviewer he specifically wanted no
part of developing the Mission E or any other electric Porsche because he
hated them.

“I don’t need that,” he told the interviewer, before claiming electric cars
would be an environmental disaster.

The interview set off alarm bells at Porsche, which has yet to respond to
requests for comment.

Insiders insist the interview, and any repercussions from it, are still
being discussed amongst the Porsche family and the supervisory board and
they have yet to decide how to treat Röhrl, who they have long treated as
family.

Yet the Volkswagen Group recently swapped out ex-Porsche man Matthias
Mueller as Management Board Chairman and CEO because they felt he wasn’t
pushing electrification fast or hard enough, and Porsche is said to be under
pressure from his replacement, Herbert Diess, about dealing with Röhrl.

Verbatim, the interview (in German), went like this, after Röhrl was asked
if he’d ever watched a Formula E race:

Walter Röhrl: The TV was on, but I wasn’t really watching, and I heard this
sound. It sounded like a golf cart, you know, on a golf course, but then I
realised ‘Hey, that’s Formula E’. Great, exactly what I need!

Of course I switched the TV off right away. That’s all I have to say about
Formula E. I’m just not interested.

Even if Porsche were to win, I couldn’t be bothered.

Question: Why not?

WR: Well if you ask me, the very idea of making a racing car just for racing
through cities is ludicrous.

What they should do is, they should drive on a racing circuit and make some
great sound. That would tell me that I’m at racetrack and not at some kind
of event for the blind [he meant ‘deaf’].

Q: I suppose Porsche’s Mission E is not your cup of tea either, is it?

WR: No, I don’t need that. I’m convinced that by the time that car hits the
ground I’ll have an arrangement whereby I’ll either be retired or I’ll have
nothing to do with that.

Q: So you’ll actually have a contract to that effect?

WR: Well, you know, I don’t want to get into trouble. You’ll never hear me
say that electric cars are great.

What I say is the future of electric motoring will be in the cities.

If you ask me, driving a car is about getting in and going on an 800km trip,
and electric cars can never be a solution to that.

Also, they’re a disaster in environmental terms.

Q: You mean in terms of their overall eco-balance?

WR: Exactly. And by the way, there’ll never be enough raw materials.

I’m shocked at what all those politicians are saying. They say that electric
cars are a winner, but they haven’t got a clue what they’re talking about.

But now everyone is running in that direction, ignoring the development of
fuel cells, the development of ICEs, the development of synthetic fuels,
which would be the future, if you ask me.

But like I said, those blind politicians are telling us: ‘This is the way
forward’ and everyone is going that way — it’s a disaster.
[© motoring.com.au]

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/21/lightyear-drops-its-one-top-to-show-how-it-was-designed-produced/
Lightyear Drops Its One Top To Show How It Was Designed ...
2018/04/21  An electric car that runs on sunlight is bound to get the press
going and commenters seething about whether the possibility is practical or
not. ... But the company says that the car will be able to drive between 400
km and 800 km (250–500 miles) on a full charge, depending on the
configuration you choose, and the starting ...
https://youtu.be/d_QAWVUoZFg

(*Röhrl drank McLaren-koolaid)
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/09/mclaren-ev-supercar-5-10-years-away/
McLaren EV supercar: Here's the math that says it's 5-10 years off
Apr 9th 2018
It emerged last December that McLaren had built an all-electric ... could do
500 miles in everyday road use … The issue isn't energy capacity, it's
energy density … battery technology should achieve 500 watt-hours per
kilogram. That is a level where it really makes sense …
https://s.aolcdn.com/dims-global/dims3/GLOB/legacy_thumbnail/916x515/quality/95/https://s.blogcdn.com/slideshows/images/slides/723/325/7/S7233257/slug/l/01-mclaren-senna-victory-grey-1.jpg

(dated)
https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/fedex-branded-tesla-semis-coming-road-near/
FedEx-Branded Tesla Semis Coming To A Road Near You
Mar 28, 2018  Nevertheless, it can only be one out of two: the 300-mile
(480km) range, which should start at roughly $150,000, and the 500-mile
(800km) one that's estimated to be about $30,000 more expensive. In addition
to their impressive electric range, the Tesla Semi trucks promise to offer
“electric energy cost savings that are half ...
https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Tesla-Semi-0-1.jpg

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/902345/Fisker-solid-state-electric-car-battery-range-charging-times
Solid state electric car battery with 700-mile range and one minute ...
Jan 10, 2018 - FISKER reveal details of its new solid-state electric car
battery which will produce over 700 miles of range and one minute recharging
times. ... Fisker revealed details of its new solid-state battery technology
at CES 2018 yesterday alongside the new EMotion electric car ...

http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/autos/update-6-new-200000-tesla-roadster-speeds-in-front-of-electric-big-rig-truck
0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, 1,000 miles on single charge, new $200,000 Tesla
Roadster steals show from electric big-rig
Nov 17, 2017 - The Tesla truck can go up to 500 miles (800 km) at maximum
weight at highway speed. Tesla via AP. Musk has described electric trucks as
Tesla's next effort to move the economy away from fossil fuels through
projects including electric cars, solar roofs and power storage ...
https://twitter.com/PhilipMillerBD/status/931496149588021249

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/tesla-claims-over-800km-ev-range-car-possible/articleshow/38854838.cms
Tesla claims over 800km EV range car possible
Jul 22, 2014 - Range anxiety has been the biggest drawback of electric
vehicles but if Tesla Founder and CEO Elon Musk has his way, this could soon
be a thing of the past. Musk recently revealed to a publication that a 500
mile (805km) range car is possible quite soon but that will drive up the
cost of the car …

https://inhabitat.com/ecomove-announces-500-mile-range-electric-vehicle-based-on-the-qbeak-e-car/
ECOmove Announces 500 Mile Range Electric Vehicle Based on the QBEAK E-Car
07/16/2012  Danish electric car manufacturer ECOmove has announced plans to
develop an electric car based on the company’s QBEAK city car that will
feature a whopping 500 mile driving range. Dubbed the Modular Energy Carrier
Concept …
https://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/07/QBEAK-City-Car-e1342438186865.jpg