controller cuts out at high speed

lcalarea47
odd dropped my pack down to 96 volts  was 120 volt . kelly controller  will run at half go pedal down push farther , stops then controller blinks red no power . reset  it will do same cut off at over half pedal speed ..

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

gottdi
Put a fat heat sink on and try again and or contact Kelly Controller.

Pete :)

http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

On 18 May 2009 at 19:38, AC DC EV wrote:

> I dropped my pack down to 96 volts - it was  120 volt. My Kelly
> controller  will only run at half go pedal.  Fush farther, and it
> stops, the controller blinks red - no power .

Sounds like it's going into low battery shutdown.  My guess is that when you
increase the PWM duty cycle and average current rises, the battery voltage
sags enough to drop below the controller's minimum.

I know zilch about Kelly controllers, so I can't say for sure, but it might
have an adjustment for this parameter.  (Not all brands do, however.)  I
suggest you contact your supplier.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Bob Sisson
The kelly absolutely has an adjustment for that...

Bob Sisson
1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
Gaithersburg MD

On 18 May 2009 at 19:38, AC DC EV wrote:

> I dropped my pack down to 96 volts - it was  120 volt. My Kelly
> controller  will only run at half go pedal.  Fush farther, and it
> stops, the controller blinks red - no power .

Sounds like it's going into low battery shutdown.  My guess is that when you

increase the PWM duty cycle and average current rises, the battery voltage
sags enough to drop below the controller's minimum.

I know zilch about Kelly controllers, so I can't say for sure, but it might
have an adjustment for this parameter.  (Not all brands do, however.)  I
suggest you contact your supplier.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

lcalarea47
hi thx do you know how to adjust  when programming it ????   im waiting on
reply from steven [kelly ] . only reason dropped voltage was to add more
batteries . had 10 -12 volts , made room so have to 12 volts parrelled in
series .now have 16 -12 volts .i may be able to add 2 more 12 volts to bring
up to 108 volts . lonnie   ps controllers not getting hot actually doesnt
have time to i can only move it like a block then cuts off .

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Bob Sisson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The kelly absolutely has an adjustment for that...
>
> Bob Sisson
> 1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
> Gaithersburg MD

hi thx , controller isnt getting hot  ,cuts off within a city block . im
waiting for a response from kelly .thx for reply . lonnie

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:56 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Put a fat heat sink on and try again and or contact Kelly Controller.
>

> Pete :)
>

> On May 18, 2009, at 7:38 PM, AC DC EV wrote:
>

> > odd dropped my pack down to 96 volts  was 120 volt . kelly
> > controller  will
> > run at half go pedal down push farther , stops then controller
> > blinks red no
> > power . reset  it will do same cut off at over half pedal speed ..
> >
> > -----
> > acdcev     www.youtube.com/lcalarea47      www.evalbum.com/1740
> > --
> > at Nabble.com.

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

eric@zyxod.com
Sounds like it's going under-voltage.  Do Kelly controllers simply ease
off, or do they have a fault condition  for undervoltage?

AC DC EV wrote:
> odd dropped my pack down to 96 volts  was 120 volt . kelly controller  will
> run at half go pedal down push farther , stops then controller blinks red no
> power . reset  it will do same cut off at over half pedal speed ..
>
> -----
> acdcev     www.youtube.com/lcalarea47      www.evalbum.com/1740

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Tim Humphrey
Just curious, do you have your batteries paralleled, then connected in
series, or do you have two series strings paralled? It sounds like you went
with buddy-pairs as opposed to buddy-strings. I personally feel buddy-pair
to be the better setup, some feel the other way.

Stay Charged!
Hump

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 2:45 PM, lcalarea47 @dslextreme.com <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi thx do you know how to adjust  when programming it ????   im waiting on
> reply from steven [kelly ] . only reason dropped voltage was to add more
> batteries . had 10 -12 volts , made room so have to 12 volts parrelled in
> series .now have 16 -12 volts .i may be able to add 2 more 12 volts to
> bring
> up to 108 volts . lonnie

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Matt Lacey
If it's the low voltage you set in software....it reduces pwm until the pack
voltage rises above the set point.

If it's the absolute lowest operating voltage set in hardware, it throws an
error code and may shut down.

Matt

AC DC EV wrote:
> odd dropped my pack down to 96 volts  was 120 volt . kelly controller
> will run at half go pedal down push farther , stops then controller
> blinks red no power . reset  it will do same cut off at over half pedal
speed ..

> -----
> acdcev     www.youtube.com/lcalarea47      www.evalbum.com/1740

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
5:53 PM

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Bob Sisson
I use their software connected to the controller and you set the low voltage
cutout and cut-back along with current values.  I haven't touched mine in a
while, but I thought there values for both slow-down and shut-down...

Just looked...there is only a single value now and it is called "Under
Voltage" and this should be set to a value that you WANT the controller to
shut down at...

EXAMPLE...

If lowest value you are comfortable with on your 12V batteries is 11.5, and
you have 10 of them, your UNDER VOLTAGE would be set to 115V...

WARNING !!! This does NOT ACCOUNT FOR IMBALANCE which is what kills packs...
If you have ONE weak cell, and all the rest are above normal, you can drive
that ONE below safe values because the PACK is still above 115v while a
SINGLE CELL is below 11.5v

This is why pack balancing is so critical... AND why adding a new cell to an
already "broken in" pack is so dangerous to the pack...

Anybody else want to add to that ???

Bob Sisson
1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
Gaithersburg MD

hi thx do you know how to adjust  when programming it ????   im waiting on
reply from steven [kelly ] . only reason dropped voltage was to add more
batteries . had 10 -12 volts , made room so have to 12 volts parrelled in
series .now have 16 -12 volts .i may be able to add 2 more 12 volts to bring
up to 108 volts . lonnie   ps controllers not getting hot actually doesnt
have time to i can only move it like a block then cuts off .

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Bob Sisson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> The kelly absolutely has an adjustment for that...
>
> Bob Sisson
> 1993 Geo Metro Convertible Project
> Gaithersburg MD

hment.html

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

jonglauser
>WARNING !!! This does NOT ACCOUNT FOR IMBALANCE which is what kills packs...
>If you have ONE weak cell, and all the rest are above normal, you can drive
>that ONE below safe values because the PACK is still above 115v while a
>SINGLE CELL is below 11.5v
>
> Anybody else want to add to that ???

;) amen

Now to work on getting individual battery monitors for my EV!

-Jon Glauser
http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

lcalarea47
hi thx  . yes i have them buddy pairs now  . did that way so i dont need any
more chargers bought . i got one charger per buddy pair .lonnie

<hi ,  think your correct , controller has range of 24 - 120 volts  steven from kelly walked me through programming when originally installed with 120 v pack . im waiting for reply from kelly to see / how  to reprogram if needed . i dont quite understand a few steps in programming it .    im wandering if when orginally programed was wrong / ? perhaps part of problem climbing hill here [prior pack 120 v ]  / hill is only 1/2 mile flys up half of it then like crawls rest . i may need a better controller that pushes more amps like a logisystem ???? . lonnie and thx

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

lcalarea47
hi   got controller tweaked runs fine now . still will not climb hills
though .  quess i will need a hybrid . lol  lonnie

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM, AC DC EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <hi ,  think your correct , controller has range of 24 - 120 volts  steven
> from kelly walked me through programming when originally installed with 120
> v pack . im waiting for reply from kelly to see / how  to reprogram if
> needed . i dont quite understand a few steps in programming it .    im
> wandering if when orginally programed was wrong / ? perhaps part of problem
> climbing hill here [prior pack 120 v ]  / hill is only 1/2 mile flys up
> half
> of it then like crawls rest . i may need a better controller that pushes
> more amps like a logisystem ???? . lonnie and thx
>

> -----
> acdcev     www.youtube.com/lcalarea47      www.evalbum.com/1740
> Nabble.com.

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Cor van de Water
I think I answered before that you need the proper gear ratio
and your car will climb hills fine as full EV. EVs have better torque
than ICEs at low speeds, so hill climbing is where EVs should shine,
except when a fixed-speed system is too underpowered and designed
for top speed, not for hills, then you will have an issue with hills.

Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        magicJack: +1 408 844 3932
Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

wrote:

> <hi ,  think your correct , controller has range of 24 - 120 volts
steven
> from kelly walked me through programming when originally installed
with 120
> v pack . im waiting for reply from kelly to see / how  to reprogram if
> needed . i dont quite understand a few steps in programming it .    im
> wandering if when orginally programed was wrong / ? perhaps part of
problem
> climbing hill here [prior pack 120 v ]  / hill is only 1/2 mile flys
up
> half
> of it then like crawls rest . i may need a better controller that
pushes
> more amps like a logisystem ???? . lonnie and thx
>

> -----
> acdcev     www.youtube.com/lcalarea47      www.evalbum.com/1740
> Nabble.com.

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

lcalarea47
hi thx , ive been currently  looking around for a different rear end  ebay
etc .. instead of my 3:08 perhaps need 4:11 or like a 4:56 or .  right now
moves fine in first gear . but like on flat ground barely takes of from dead
stop in 2nd gear .  thx for help . i think i got a mess of factors/reasons
intertwined in this not climbing . lonnie

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Cor van de Water <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I think I answered before that you need the proper gear ratio
> and your car will climb hills fine as full EV. EVs have better torque
> than ICEs at low speeds, so hill climbing is where EVs should shine,
> except when a fixed-speed system is too underpowered and designed
> for top speed, not for hills, then you will have an issue with hills.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Director HW & Systems Architecture Group
> Email: [hidden email]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [hidden email]
> Tel: +1 408 383 7626        magicJack: +1 408 844 3932
> Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203 XoIP: +31877841130

Jeffrey Jenkins
Lonnie - the Kellys get hot *inside* (the case may only be barely warm) and then start limiting amps to around 200-250A regardless of the claimed rating. We have observed the same behavior with a Logisystems 550A and others report the Curtis 1231C behaves the same. "Peak" amps, we concluded, are mostly useless.

AC DC EV wrote
... perhaps part of problem climbing hill here [prior pack 120 v ]  / hill is only 1/2 mile flys up half of it then like crawls rest . i may need a better controller that pushes more amps like a logisystem ???? . lonnie and thx

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Roger Heuckeroth

On Jun 18, 2009, at 8:10 AM, Jeffrey Jenkins wrote:

> Lonnie - the Kellys get hot *inside* (the case may only be barely
> warm) and
> then start limiting amps to around 200-250A regardless of the claimed
> rating. We have observed the same behavior with a Logisystems 550A and
> others report the Curtis 1231C behaves the same. "Peak" amps, we
> concluded,
> are mostly useless.

That's why the Zilla with its internal liquid cooling is best.  Your
cooling liquid goes right through the heat sink on which the power
semiconductors are mounted.

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

Jeffrey Jenkins

Roger Heuckeroth wrote
That's why the Zilla with its internal liquid cooling is best.  Your
cooling liquid goes right through the heat sink on which the power
semiconductors are mounted.
I agree that liquid cooling is best - it is, arguably, unavoidable at the power levels needed for an EV - but my point here is that if the peak amp rating and continuous amp rating of a controller are radically different, and peak current can only be delivered for a few seconds, then drivability suffers. This is not theoretical conjecture, this is something we have noticed from testing our controller prototype, as well a other manufacturer's controllers, in actual vehicles and on our dyno. What we have concluded is that 500A is the bare minimum needed for decent - not blistering - acceleration for a modern 3000# conversion and that the 500A needs to be available for at least 20-30 seconds (which, as far as the semiconductors are concerned, is the same as forever).

We have not had the opportunity to test a Zilla but since they are out of production (though possibly resuming later this year?) it is, perhaps, wishful thinking to recommend them to EV conversion customers right now. Regardless, the continuous current rating of the Zilla Z1K is ~350A so it would appear that at least under certain circumstances we would have the same experience with it as well.

(despite working on what will be a competing controller, I have nothing but respect for Otmar's track record - the Z1K and Z2K are enviable products with a well deserved reputation for bulletproof performance).

Re: controller cuts out at high speed

lcalarea47
thx 4 reply .. thats what i thought , controller not putting out as kellys
specs say .  a zilla may be the only answer on this problem .and if even
could get one is to pricy for me .     need a turbo boost manual controlled
controller .lol       talked to a owner of a ford think in area and he said
even being new his ride cannot climb hill either .        plus when i
through in close to 1,000 pounds of lead batteries ends up being to heavy
for hill climb .   my only choice here is on order of hybrid , ice to get in
/out  then electric around town .or a geared electric  trike conversion   .
.     lonnie