controllers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

controllers

Electric Blue auto convertions
Lots of yelling back & forth about controllers for the last 4 years here..Simple fact is that the ones doing the most yelling haven't a clue how they work. I take my hat off to Otmar, Ryan, and Sebastien. they did what very few people can or are willing to do, or have the knowledge . I couldnt build one, dont want to either . Now, which one is the best.. it dosnt matter, what matters is which one is right for the customer. Remember the Curtis, 1231, Its an anvil with wires, you cant hurt it. But its days are numbered with more people wanting higher voltages. So now
how many lights,do-dads, do you really need? Do you really need 2,000AMPS. I dont think so, BuT if you want it ,its there for you.

I had one of Ryans 360V &1400 amp units in my ElCamino and I will tell you the car was scary . much more power than the original 350 CID that was in it. Did I need that?? no ..I dont speed, just go back and forth to the shop, Did I like it??? Hell yes !!! . But it did have a problem and I sent it back, Ryan is working on it.. and now have a solution1 on it. Is it as good as the Net gain..it takes me back & forth to the shop,,thats all Im asking from ANY controller . Im not a racer...so which one is better. dont ask me..I ask the check book . I build what the customer wants .
I make a challenge to the ones here doing all the bitching,,you build a controller, make it 100% efficant at full voltage/currant for 3 hours continues, with a voltage rateing of 12 to 450@2,000 amps, and sell it for 1500$ ...now you have all the bragging rights the planet has to offer
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20110331/39e8f5bd/attachment.html 
_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

harry henderson
loud and clear

harry

Albuquerque, NM
current bike:  http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
current non-bike: http://evalbum.com/1000


--- On Thu, 3/31/11, Electric Blue auto convertions <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Electric Blue auto convertions <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [EVDL] controllers
> To: "ev" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 8:05 AM
> Lots of yelling back & forth
> about controllers for the last 4 years here..Simple fact is
> that the ones doing the most yelling haven't a clue how they
> work. I take my hat off to Otmar, Ryan, and Sebastien. they
> did what very few people can or are willing to do, or have
> the knowledge . I couldnt build one, dont want to either .
> Now, which one is the best.. it dosnt matter, what matters
> is which one is right for the customer. Remember the Curtis,
> 1231, Its an anvil with wires, you cant hurt it. But its
> days are numbered with more people wanting higher voltages.
> So now
> how many lights,do-dads, do you really need? Do you really
> need 2,000AMPS. I dont think so, BuT if you want it ,its
> there for you.
>
> I had one of Ryans 360V &1400 amp units in my ElCamino
> and I will tell you the car was scary . much more power than
> the original 350 CID that was in it. Did I need that?? no
> ..I dont speed, just go back and forth to the shop, Did I
> like it??? Hell yes !!! . But it did have a problem and I
> sent it back, Ryan is working on it.. and now have a
> solution1 on it. Is it as good as the Net gain..it takes me
> back & forth to the shop,,thats all Im asking from ANY
> controller . Im not a racer...so which one is better. dont
> ask me..I ask the check book . I build what the customer
> wants .
> I make a challenge to the ones here doing all the
> bitching,,you build a controller, make it 100% efficant at
> full voltage/currant for 3 hours continues, with a voltage
> rateing of 12 to 450@2,000 amps, and sell it for 1500$
> ...now you have all the bragging rights the planet has to
> offer
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/private/ev/attachments/20110331/39e8f5bd/attachment.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email]
> only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

lcalarea47
In reply to this post by Electric Blue auto convertions
hi wandering , i haven't been here in long time [site ] .   has anyone ever built / sell a good controller YET   ??ie one without probs ,,plus the new ev,s coming out what about there controllers .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

Cruisin
In reply to this post by Electric Blue auto convertions
More importanly, most of the yack yack about controllers and everything else here are from people who dont own and  never will, any part of a EV. Some love to ask questions to see how people will respond, others critisize those who are attempting to answer the questions. Maybe those I am refering to should go back to their cel phone where they are in their comfort zone.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

lcalarea47
ps i built a ev myself a conversion , im not yack yack ,, acdcev ,,, lonnie

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Cruisin [via Electric Vehicle Discussion List] <[hidden email]> wrote:
More importanly, most of the yack yack about controllers and everything else here are from people who dont own and  never will, any part of a EV. Some love to ask questions to see how people will respond, others critisize those who are attempting to answer the questions. Maybe those I am refering to should go back to their cel phone where they are in their comfort zone.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/controllers-tp3418409p3796795.html
To unsubscribe from controllers, click here.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

David Nelson-5
In reply to this post by lcalarea47
Lonnie,

There are several good controllers out there. There is the Zilla line
which is back in production again, it has an excellent track record.
There are the two from Evnetics the Soliton1 and Soliton Jr, there are
the Synkromotive, Warp Drive, and probably others which are quality
controllers. Then there are the ones like the Sevcon controllers like
the one in my Gizmo which has been very solid. What are you looking
for?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM, lcalarea47 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi wandering , i haven't been here in long time [site ] .   has anyone ever
> built / sell a good controller YET   ??ie one without probs ,,plus the new
> ev,s coming out what about there controllers .
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/controllers-tp3418409p3796770.html
> Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> |
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>



--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

Mike Nickerson
I've been running a Kelly Controller in my conversion for over a year.  No
problems so far.  I've corresponded with the factory to get an adapter so I
could reprogram some of the throttle settings and they were responsive.

One caution I would give on the Kelly Controllers:  Treat their power
ratings as very optimistic.  If it is rated as 500A, view it as a 250A
controller for all practical purposes.  If you do that, you might be
positively surprised once in a while, but you won't be disappointed.  If you
really thought it was a 500A controller, you would be disappointed.  

A 500A controller (giving 250-275A) is actually a good match for Thundersky
100Ah cells.  They don't want to provide more than about 275A-300A anyway.

Mike
www.evalbum/2778


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of David Nelson
> Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:13 PM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] controllers
>
> Lonnie,
>
> There are several good controllers out there. There is the Zilla line
which is
> back in production again, it has an excellent track record.
> There are the two from Evnetics the Soliton1 and Soliton Jr, there are the
> Synkromotive, Warp Drive, and probably others which are quality
controllers.
> Then there are the ones like the Sevcon controllers like the one in my
Gizmo

> which has been very solid. What are you looking for?
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM, lcalarea47 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > hi wandering , i haven't been here in long time [site ] .   has anyone
> > ever built / sell a good controller YET   ??ie one without probs
> > ,,plus the new ev,s coming out what about there controllers .
> >
> > --
> > View this message in context:
> > http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/controlle
> > rs-tp3418409p3796770.html Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion
> > List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> > | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> > |
> > | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> > | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> > | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> > | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> > | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
> >
>
>
>
> --
> David D. Nelson
> http://evalbum.com/1328
>
> _______________________________________________
> | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> |
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev


_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: controllers

lcalarea47
hi exactly ,,,,,over rated kelly , add boat lead of lead , died up going up a hill ,,,  thx 4 input ,, lonnie,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Mike Nickerson [via Electric Vehicle Discussion List] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been running a Kelly Controller in my conversion for over a year.  No
problems so far.  I've corresponded with the factory to get an adapter so I
could reprogram some of the throttle settings and they were responsive.

One caution I would give on the Kelly Controllers:  Treat their power
ratings as very optimistic.  If it is rated as 500A, view it as a 250A
controller for all practical purposes.  If you do that, you might be
positively surprised once in a while, but you won't be disappointed.  If you
really thought it was a 500A controller, you would be disappointed.  

A 500A controller (giving 250-275A) is actually a good match for Thundersky
100Ah cells.  They don't want to provide more than about 275A-300A anyway.

Mike
www.evalbum/2778


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of David Nelson
> Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:13 PM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] controllers
>
> Lonnie,
>
> There are several good controllers out there. There is the Zilla line
which is
> back in production again, it has an excellent track record.
> There are the two from Evnetics the Soliton1 and Soliton Jr, there are the
> Synkromotive, Warp Drive, and probably others which are quality
controllers.
> Then there are the ones like the Sevcon controllers like the one in my
Gizmo

> which has been very solid. What are you looking for?
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM, lcalarea47 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > hi wandering , i haven't been here in long time [site ] .   has anyone
> > ever built / sell a good controller YET   ??ie one without probs
> > ,,plus the new ev,s coming out what about there controllers .
> >
> > --
> > View this message in context:
> > http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/controlle
> > rs-tp3418409p3796770.html Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion

> > List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> > | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> > |
> > | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> > | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> > | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> > | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> > | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

> >
>
>
>
> --
> David D. Nelson
> http://evalbum.com/1328
>
> _______________________________________________
> | Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
> | Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
> |
> | REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev


_______________________________________________
| Moratorium on drag racing discussion is in effect.
| Please take those discussions elsewhere.  Thanks.
|
| REPLYING: address your message to [hidden email] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| CONFIGURE: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/controllers-tp3418409p3797565.html
To unsubscribe from controllers, click here.