convert a mercedes

Gerald
ev

Hello,
I'm new to the ev world.
Originally I was planning on converting a manual drive Jetta with a pretty standard package- I was confident that everything would be fine, but..... then I saw a beautiful Mercedes (I was in love) at a great price that my wife wouldn't mind driving, and I came up with a plan; but I don't know exactly how feasible my plan is. Here is what I am thinking:

-The drive shaft will be removed and an AC 75 installed directly to the rear differential (the car weighs about 3500 pounds).
-The transmission will be removed.
-A generator will be connected to the engine and will engage when the power drops below a certain range.
The air conditioning, power steering, alternator and other things will stay as they are. The engine will run at all times when the car is driven, but just at idle speed. The idle could even be drastically reduced with some modification.
-The acceptable range is about 30 miles with lead acid batteries.
-This vehicle will be somewhat of a hybrid.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thank you!

Gerald

Re: convert a mercedes

I think y ou need to seriously do some math on the energy needes and
sources....  It makes no sense to keep the engine AND add a generator AND
add a thousand lbs of batteries and still keep the engine running and
burning fossil fuel.  What's the point?  Bob

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Gerald via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ev
>
> Hello,
> I'm new to the ev world.
> Originally I was planning on converting a manual drive Jetta with a pretty
> standard package- I was confident that everything would be fine, but.....
> then I saw a beautiful Mercedes (I was in love) at a great price that my
> wife wouldn't mind driving, and I came up with a plan; but I don't know
> exactly how feasible my plan is. Here is what I am thinking:
>
> -The drive shaft will be removed and an AC 75 installed directly to the
> rear
> differential (the car weighs about 3500 pounds).
> -The transmission will be removed.
> -A generator will be connected to the engine and will engage when the power
> drops below a certain range.
> The air conditioning, power steering, alternator and other things will stay
> as they are. The engine will run at all times when the car is driven, but
> just at idle speed. The idle could even be drastically reduced with some
> modification.
> -The acceptable range is about 30 miles with lead acid batteries.
> -This vehicle will be somewhat of a hybrid.
>
> Please let me know your opinions.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gerald

> group/NEDRA)

Re: convert a mercedes

You might think about whether you really want to keep the engine and add
a generator. Things to consider:

- the overall weight, including the battery, will exceed the
manufacturer's GVW.
- it will take more space to hold all those components, compromising the
cabin.
- it will use fuel, even if you have ample energy in the battery.
- it needs a generator (or could you use the existing alternator?)
- it will be more complicated to maintain.

If you really need the extended range, you could do better with a much
smaller genset that turns on only when your battery starts to get low.
And you gain the space occupied by the motor and the fuel tank. Of
course the tradeoff will be more expense:

- new genset,
- new small electric motor to run belt driven components (or replace
them, too)

Peri

>Originally I was planning on converting a manual drive Jetta with a
>pretty
>standard package- I was confident that everything would be fine,
>but.....
>then I saw a beautiful Mercedes (I was in love) at a great price that
>my
>wife wouldn't mind driving, and I came up with a plan; but I don't know
>exactly how feasible my plan is. Here is what I am thinking:
>
>-The drive shaft will be removed and an AC 75 installed directly to the
>rear
>differential (the car weighs about 3500 pounds).
>-The transmission will be removed.
>-A generator will be connected to the engine and will engage when the
>power
>drops below a certain range.
>The air conditioning, power steering, alternator and other things will
>stay
>as they are. The engine will run at all times when the car is driven,
>but
>just at idle speed. The idle could even be drastically reduced with
>some
>modification.
>-The acceptable range is about 30 miles with lead acid batteries.
>-This vehicle will be somewhat of a hybrid.
>
>Please let me know your opinions.
>
>Thank you!
>
>Gerald

Re: convert a mercedes

Hi Gerald,
The AC75 without a transmission will be very slow, and have a limited RPM range (i.e.: max speed is limited, or it is geared way too low for slow speeds).

Home made hybrids are really way too difficult.

If you don’t remove the engine you won’t have any space for batteries.

My recommendation: remove the engine, keep the transmission, and use lithium cells.

corbin

> On Oct 1, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Gerald via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ev
>
> Hello,
> I'm new to the ev world.
> Originally I was planning on converting a manual drive Jetta with a pretty
> standard package- I was confident that everything would be fine, but.....
> then I saw a beautiful Mercedes (I was in love) at a great price that my
> wife wouldn't mind driving, and I came up with a plan; but I don't know
> exactly how feasible my plan is. Here is what I am thinking:
>
> -The drive shaft will be removed and an AC 75 installed directly to the rear
> differential (the car weighs about 3500 pounds).
> -The transmission will be removed.
> -A generator will be connected to the engine and will engage when the power
> drops below a certain range.
> The air conditioning, power steering, alternator and other things will stay
> as they are. The engine will run at all times when the car is driven, but
> just at idle speed. The idle could even be drastically reduced with some
> modification.
> -The acceptable range is about 30 miles with lead acid batteries.
> -This vehicle will be somewhat of a hybrid.
>
> Please let me know your opinions.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gerald

Re: convert a mercedes

tomw
I agree with Corbin. You will need the transmission to get both decent acceleration and top speed, and also to make it easier for your wife to drive. I don't see why you want to keep the engine if you only need 30 miles range.You can get used Leaf or Volt cells at lower usable $/kWh than you can buy new traction lead acid cells. They will last longer and have less capacity loss in cold weather.  A used 24kWh Leaf pack with low miles, will easily give you over 50 miles range in a 3500 lb vehicle.