coupling to wagon wheel

Seth Rothenberg
I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
(everyday low price), so I got a set.    I have been working on a cart
of some sort with them - I have a rolling chassis and a design for steering,
but no clue if I can stop it, or drive it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html

I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.

Does anyone have hints on this?
(I don't think Keds brakes are safe enough... :-) :-)

Mostly this is a project to work on with my kid, but
it would be really neat to make a Multi-Purpose Wagon.
-ride-on (I have the seats from the late Saturn)
-motorized dolly (payload 1000 lb?!)
-snow plow
-All terrain (almost :-)

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Lee Hart
Seth Rothenberg wrote:
> I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
> http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
> I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
> for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.
> Does anyone have hints on this?

My first thought is to use the four bolts to attach a large diameter
sprocket (bicycle crank sprocket?) Use a chain to drive it from a
smaller sprocket on a jackshaft. The jackshaft would also need a larger
sprocket and chain to a small sprocket on the motor.

I think you'll need a double reduction, because most reasonable electric
motors will have too high an RPM to do it with a single reduction.

I doubt that you would find a belt satisfactory, as it will slip too
easily if the pulleys get wet or dirty.

Another possibility is to get a rear axle from a riding lawn mower. They
have a little differential and gearbox built in. Places like
www.surpluscenter.com have them for relatively low prices. See their
#13-1471  for example (rear axle with 5/8" shafts, 2-speed transmission,
differential, and brake, for $79.99).

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Peter VanDerWal
I use those exact same wheels for carts (welding, etc.) that I build.

Just a warning, the bearings on those wheels are really poor quality.

I think you'd be better of spending a few extra bucks and buying go-cart
wheels.  Those at least are designed to have sprockets and brakes added to
them.

> I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
> (everyday low price), so I got a set.    I have been working on a cart
> of some sort with them - I have a rolling chassis and a design for
> steering,
> but no clue if I can stop it, or drive it.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
>
> I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
> for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.
>
> Does anyone have hints on this?
> (I don't think Keds brakes are safe enough... :-) :-)
>
> Mostly this is a project to work on with my kid, but
> it would be really neat to make a Multi-Purpose Wagon.
> -ride-on (I have the seats from the late Saturn)
> -motorized dolly (payload 1000 lb?!)
> -snow plow
> -All terrain (almost :-)

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Peter VanDerWal
I almost forgot,  another option is to use electric scooter wheels.

Like these:
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/wheels.html#pocketbikewheels

You can get complete wheels, with tires, axles, brakes and sprockets for
as little as $33

> I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
> (everyday low price), so I got a set.    I have been working on a cart
> of some sort with them - I have a rolling chassis and a design for
> steering,
> but no clue if I can stop it, or drive it.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
>
> I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
> for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.
>
> Does anyone have hints on this?
> (I don't think Keds brakes are safe enough... :-) :-)
>
> Mostly this is a project to work on with my kid, but
> it would be really neat to make a Multi-Purpose Wagon.
> -ride-on (I have the seats from the late Saturn)
> -motorized dolly (payload 1000 lb?!)
> -snow plow
> -All terrain (almost :-)

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Dennis Miles
*Hi, Seth,   Lee has made some great suggestions.  I have been leering at
those wheels at Harbor Freight and the same ones at Tractor Supply, Usually
under $10 !  With good looking ball bearings and a 300 lb. load rating.  I
like the chain drive and jack-shaft scheme, and I would add a pulley to the
jackshaft, wrap a strap made from a belt that fits the pulley around it,
connect the cut ends and pull on them  with a cable to  pedal or hand lever,
Simple, cheap, effective, but not for highway use...
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM              (Adviser) EVTI - EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913*
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Seth Rothenberg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
> (everyday low price), so I got a set.    I have been working on a cart
> of some sort with them - I have a rolling chassis and a design for
> steering,
> but no clue if I can stop it, or drive it.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
>
> I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
> for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.
>
> Does anyone have hints on this?
> (I don't think Keds brakes are safe enough... :-) :-)
>
> Mostly this is a project to work on with my kid, but
> it would be really neat to make a Multi-Purpose Wagon.
> -ride-on (I have the seats from the late Saturn)
> -motorized dolly (payload 1000 lb?!)
> -snow plow
> -All terrain (almost :-)

   It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
vehicles.

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Dennis Miles
*Sorry Seth and Lee, I was thinking of the 12 inch wheels, not the ten, and
paved surfaces, but Seth mentions "All Terrain," and I don't like chain in
dirt and weeds, so belt becomes a better choice, and the slippage gives
differential action.  Personally, instead of buying from "Salvage Center", I
would buy a older and bad motored riding lawn tractor for $50 and remove the
bad motor, then electrify with motor and batteries and controller from a
golf cart or small fork lift. lengthening the chassis to accommodate another
seat and you have a great "Woods Buggy." and you can always build a great
trailer with the wheels.
Salutations,
Dennis Miles*
On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Dennis Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Hi, Seth,   Lee has made some great suggestions.  I have been leering at
> those wheels at Harbor Freight and the same ones at Tractor Supply, Usually
> under $10 !  With good looking ball bearings and a 300 lb. load rating.  I
> like the chain drive and jack-shaft scheme, and I would add a pulley to the
> jackshaft, wrap a strap made from a belt that fits the pulley around it,
> connect the cut ends and pull on them  with a cable to  pedal or hand lever,
> Simple, cheap, effective, but not for highway use...
> Regards,
> Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
> www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM              (Adviser) EVTI - EVA Education Chapter
> Phone (863) 944 - 9913*

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Seth Rothenberg <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
>> (everyday low price), so I got a set.    I have been working on a cart
>> of some sort with them - I have a rolling chassis and a design for
>> steering,
>> but no clue if I can stop it, or drive it.
>>
>> http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
>>
>> I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
>> for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.
>>
>> Does anyone have hints on this?
>> (I don't think Keds brakes are safe enough... :-) :-)
>>
>> Mostly this is a project to work on with my kid, but
>> it would be really neat to make a Multi-Purpose Wagon.
>> -ride-on (I have the seats from the late Saturn)
>> -motorized dolly (payload 1000 lb?!)
>> -snow plow
>> -All terrain (almost :-)

>    It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
> capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
> vehicles.

Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM    (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913
   It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
vehicles.

Riding mowers (was Re: coupling to wagon wheel)

Peter VanDerWal
I'm working on converting a yard tractor (aka riding mower) to electric.
I got it for free by asking for one on Freecycle.

I'm using a pallet jack motor for it.

Supposedly the 17hp gas engine still runs but has carb problems.  I'm
thinking about fixing the motor up and selling it to cover some of my
conversion costs.

> Personally, instead of buying from "Salvage Center",
> I would buy a older and bad motored riding lawn tractor for $50
> and remove the bad motor, then electrify with motor and batteries and
> controller from a golf cart or small fork lift. lengthening the chassis
> to accommodate another seat and you have a great "Woods Buggy." and you
> can always build a great trailer with the wheels.

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Korn
I used these on a go cart and my son liked to corner on 3 wheels

The bearing tube shears off pretty easy with side stress. A few minutes with a mig welder fixed them. I weld them even if they are going on a handtruck

You can weld a small plate to mount a gear and brake drum. By the time you're done it costs as much as a set of rims with the sprocket attached from northern

I only used them as front wheels myself and stay under 20....

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:03 PM, Seth Rothenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was in Harborfreight and they had these 10" tires on display
> (everyday low price), so I got a set.    I have been working on a cart
> of some sort with them - I have a rolling chassis and a design for steering,
> but no clue if I can stop it, or drive it.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
>
> I think I can couple a pulley to each rear wheels, which is a big start
> for driving it.....Perhaps that's also a way to put brakes on.
>
> Does anyone have hints on this?
> (I don't think Keds brakes are safe enough... :-) :-)
>
> Mostly this is a project to work on with my kid, but
> it would be really neat to make a Multi-Purpose Wagon.
> -ride-on (I have the seats from the late Saturn)
> -motorized dolly (payload 1000 lb?!)
> -snow plow
> -All terrain (almost :-)

Re: Riding mowers (was Re: coupling to wagon wheel)

W3526602

I'm in UK, so cannot visualise what sort of wheels you are talking about,
but ........

I once had visions of building a trike like children ride, but  bigger, the
sort with pedals each side of the front wheels. The  plan was to fit the
gearbox from my Barrowmix cement mixer to the bottom of the  front forks, with
a single wheel bolted direct to the drum shaft. A domestic  electric motor
would be mounted at top of forks with V-belt driving the gearbox.  Power
would be provide by a petrol generator mounted on a shelf between the rear
wheels.

OK, slow, and probably lethal. Might be safer if battery powered.

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Seth Rothenberg
(thinking....)
Maybe I can use the wheel/motor/brake
from the Razor I found at the curb
a couple years ago.
I need to measure....perhaps it is 10"

It's big problem? 2 dead batteries.

I got a charger off ebay.

I'm seeking a nomination for
Pack-Rat award...

(I know, that motor alone is too
small for a big cart :-)

Thanks everyone.

Re: coupling to wagon wheel - and Pac Rat

rodhower
> I'm seeking a nomination for
> Pack-Rat award...
My wife would like to nominate me for the same prize,
http://picasaweb.google.com/rodnhower/ElectricVehicleParts#5184440729974306242

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodnhower/ElectricVehicleParts#5184440738564240850

Both pictures were taken several years ago before I accumulated much more 'stuff', more motors and controls!

I think Steve Chapman would probably win this award followed by Lee Hart and James Massey :-)

Re: coupling to wagon wheel

Seth Rothenberg wrote:
> Maybe I can use the wheel/motor/brake
> from the Razor I found at the curb
> a couple years ago.
> It's big problem? 2 dead batteries.
> I got a charger off ebay.
> (I know, that motor alone is too
> small for a big cart :-)

Yes; but *two* of them might work. Or four... I've seen personal
mobility carts and other small EVs built with several scooter's worth of
parts.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything

Re: coupling to wagon wheel - and Pac Rat

James Massey
At 06:35 AM 26/08/2010, Rod Hower wrote:
> > I'm seeking a nomination for
> > Pack-Rat award...
>My wife would like to nominate me for the same prize,
><snipped the photos>
>Both pictures were taken several years ago before I accumulated much
>more 'stuff', more motors and controls!

Pah, amateur... I hope 'more' is about 20x that, or you've got some
catching up to do!

>I think Steve Chapman would probably win this award followed by Lee
>Hart and James Massey :-)

HeY!! I resemble that remark! Actually a pack-rat is probably more
selective. Packed in tight, I suppose I could get all my 'Pack rat'
(EV related) stuff into a 20 foot shipping container, although I'd
need another 40' container for the non-pack-rat (real work) stuff...
although herself may consider the ratio to be the other way around!

Trouble is, a fortnight after you've thrown it out/sent it to scrap,
a need comes up. It does, no lie. After more than 5 years of not
seeing a particular brand of exploder (thing that sets of detonators)
I parted out the box of spares, but didn't actually get to the skip
with the "un-needed" parts. Then over the next two weeks, three came
in for service - so the box of spares got re-assembled and back on the shelf!

Very hard to de-clutter when people keep bringing you this old junk
and expecting you to fix it (when they're usually right).

Regards

[Technik] James (contender for Pack Rat of the Year award)

Re: coupling to wagon wheel - and Pac Rat

Peter VanDerWal
Hmm, I have to show this thread to my wife.

She keeps calling ME a packrat, but I'm not even in the same league as you
guys, in fact I don't think I'm even in the minors.  I barely have enough
EV 'stuff' to fill a couple sets of shelves in my garage.

Cheers.

> At 06:35 AM 26/08/2010, Rod Hower wrote:
>> > I'm seeking a nomination for
>> > Pack-Rat award...
>>My wife would like to nominate me for the same prize,
>><snipped the photos>
>>Both pictures were taken several years ago before I accumulated much
>>more 'stuff', more motors and controls!
>
> Pah, amateur... I hope 'more' is about 20x that, or you've got some
> catching up to do!
>
>>I think Steve Chapman would probably win this award followed by Lee
>>Hart and James Massey :-)
>
> HeY!! I resemble that remark! Actually a pack-rat is probably more
> selective. Packed in tight, I suppose I could get all my 'Pack rat'
> (EV related) stuff into a 20 foot shipping container, although I'd
> need another 40' container for the non-pack-rat (real work) stuff...
> although herself may consider the ratio to be the other way around!
>
> Trouble is, a fortnight after you've thrown it out/sent it to scrap,
> a need comes up. It does, no lie. After more than 5 years of not
> seeing a particular brand of exploder (thing that sets of detonators)
> I parted out the box of spares, but didn't actually get to the skip
> with the "un-needed" parts. Then over the next two weeks, three came
> in for service - so the box of spares got re-assembled and back on the
> shelf!
>
> Very hard to de-clutter when people keep bringing you this old junk
> and expecting you to fix it (when they're usually right).
>
> Regards
>
> [Technik] James (contender for Pack Rat of the Year award)

Re: Pac Rat

Buddy Mills @ Cox.net
>Trouble is, a fortnight after you've thrown it out/sent it to scrap,
a need comes up. It does, no lie.

Being a Pac Rat myself I have a theory on why you need that part/piece only
weeks or days after you tossed it out in a random cleaning.

When you have that piece in your hand and you tossed it out saying "I will
never need this"  your subconscious, within seconds, starts finding ways to
use it and stores those uses away.  Then a few day or weeks later you are
working on something and your subconscious recalls one of the thousand uses
and you say to yourself...If only I had not thrown that widget out last
week, it would have been perfect for this.

For this reason I do not throw anything away anymore.  I just do random
cleaning and move everything from one side of the garage to the other.  This
way I trick the subconscious.   And when I need it all I do is ..."NOW where
did I put that damn WIDGET when I cleaned up? I didn't throw it away.  I put
it in a safe place.  Honey have you seen my widget?  It's about 5 inches by
6, so big, with little raised ..."

Sigmund "Buddy" Freud.

James Massey wrote:
>> I think Steve Chapman would probably win this award followed by Lee
>> Hart and James Massey :-)
Guilty as charged; I  do have quite a pile of old junk, err... priceless
antiques. :-)

But I'm sure my collection isn't even remotely as bad as some. The
master was my late friend, George Ewing. One day George visited another
friend who was trying to restore a 1947 Willys Jeep. The carburetor was
shot. He wondered where on earth he'd ever find another one. George went
back out to his car, rummaged around for a while, and came back with one
and said, "Like this?"

George was also a master of putting totally incongruous bits of things
together to make something that worked. His "Motie chargers" were
amazing. Microwave oven transformer, diodes from a car alternator, wire
wrapped around a compass as an ammeter, and a glass jar of water with
two electrodes in it for a shutoff timer (the water boiled off to open
the primary and so turn it off.) All mounted to a wooden crate.
>> Very hard to de-clutter when people keep bringing you this old junk
>> and expecting you to fix it (when they're usually right).

Yes indeed! It's so hard to throw something out when you know darn well
it's just has a bad resistor or broken spring (somewhere). And in only
10-20 hours maybe you can find it! :-)

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything

Re: coupling to wagon wheel - and Pac Rat

joe-22
LOL - so true about needing things 2 weeks after you get rid of them!!! So I
throw NOTHING away - I've got 2 40 ft containers, and two shops full, and
lots of stuff still outside everywhere (ask John Wayland - he said I had
lots of neat stuff 8 or so years ago!); and NO, my wife and daughters are
NOT happy about it!!! But it takes time to sort it all, and get rid of what
isn't essential to keep.

You can consider me a contender for the award - most of my stuff is not EV
related, but still... I am a Keeper of Things!

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> At 06:35 AM 26/08/2010, Rod Hower wrote:
>> > I'm seeking a nomination for
>> > Pack-Rat award...
>>My wife would like to nominate me for the same prize,
>><snipped the photos>
>>Both pictures were taken several years ago before I accumulated much
>>more 'stuff', more motors and controls!
>
> Pah, amateur... I hope 'more' is about 20x that, or you've got some
> catching up to do!
>
>>I think Steve Chapman would probably win this award followed by Lee
>>Hart and James Massey :-)
>
> HeY!! I resemble that remark! Actually a pack-rat is probably more
> selective. Packed in tight, I suppose I could get all my 'Pack rat'
> (EV related) stuff into a 20 foot shipping container, although I'd
> need another 40' container for the non-pack-rat (real work) stuff...
> although herself may consider the ratio to be the other way around!
>
> Trouble is, a fortnight after you've thrown it out/sent it to scrap,
> a need comes up. It does, no lie. After more than 5 years of not
> seeing a particular brand of exploder (thing that sets of detonators)
> I parted out the box of spares, but didn't actually get to the skip
> with the "un-needed" parts. Then over the next two weeks, three came
> in for service - so the box of spares got re-assembled and back on the
> shelf!
>
> Very hard to de-clutter when people keep bringing you this old junk
> and expecting you to fix it (when they're usually right).
>
> Regards
>
> [Technik] James (contender for Pack Rat of the Year award)

Re: coupling to wagon wheel - and Pac Rat

> > I'm seeking a nomination for
> > Pack-Rat award...
> My wife would like to nominate me for the same prize ...

Sorry, Rod, no nomination.  Having all your EV parts organized on shelves
disqualifies you.  It has to be in random piles on the garage floor.  ;-)

'91 Solectria Force - '91 EVEscort - ''70 Elec-trak
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

                                        -- William G. McAdoo

Re: coupling to wagon wheel - and Pac Rat

John Lussmyer
  On 8/26/2010 4:15 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hmm, I have to show this thread to my wife.
>
> She keeps calling ME a packrat, but I'm not even in the same league as you
> guys, in fact I don't think I'm even in the minors.  I barely have enough
> EV 'stuff' to fill a couple sets of shelves in my garage.

5 years ago my 2400 sq ft shop burned to the ground.  Nothing left.
It took most of a year to have my new 4000 sq ft shop built.  This one
included 3 20' bay door so I could park all the vehicles inside.
I can fit just my EV pickup inside.  The rest of is full of "stuff" that
I've acquired since the fire.

John G. Lussmyer  mailto:[hidden email]
Electric Vehicle Battery Monitoring Systems, http://www.CasaDelGato.com

On 26 Aug 2010 at 5:15, [hidden email] wrote:

> She keeps calling ME a packrat, but I'm not even in the same league as you
> guys ...

Yeah, but you have an excuse, IIRC.  Don't you move around a lot?

I also seem to remember that you do smaller EVs (bikes and such) too,
vehicles appropriate to a nomadic EV hobbyist.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" an "etpost" addresses will not