first degree battery homocide

brian baumel
hello everyone,
I have a some what simple question:
 I've been driving my Bradley GTE for a little over 8
months now. during the first 6 or so months I seemed
to have about a 25-30 mile max range. making a 14 mile
round trip was no trouble. I commuted to work, 2 miles
one way. did not charge at work. sometimes I would
only have the car a half a day so that I could go home
and charge it, but many days I had to let it sit :(
lately the range seems to be decreasing. a couple
months ago, I moved and now my commute is 6 miles.
even so I've finally arranged to charge at work, the
batteries have degraded so much that I am just
creeping along towards the end of the journey! after
only 5 or 6 miles!!
also the rear 6 batts seem significantly warmer than
the front 4. I am drawing about 100A@120V most of the
way, more when going up hills and very little when
going down. my ave regen seems to be around 30-40A
(Zapi H2 120v@600A w/regen), but cant expect that to
add much of any range.
my questions are: have I destroyed my pack and will
need to buy new ones? how should I test?
was it the 2 mile drain w/o charging?
or was it the heat?
my batt configuration is a string of 10 12V Gel cells
94AH. either way I need to install some vents.

thanks for your input

Brian

Re: first degree battery homocide

Tim Humphrey

: [EVDL] first degree battery homocide

> hello everyone,
> I have a some what simple question:
>  I've been driving my Bradley GTE for a little over 8
> months now. during the first 6 or so months I seemed
> to have about a 25-30 mile max range. making a 14 mile
> round trip was no trouble. I commuted to work, 2 miles
> one way. did not charge at work. sometimes I would
> only have the car a half a day so that I could go home
> and charge it, but many days I had to let it sit :(
> lately the range seems to be decreasing. a couple
> months ago, I moved and now my commute is 6 miles.
> even so I've finally arranged to charge at work, the
> batteries have degraded so much that I am just
> creeping along towards the end of the journey! after
> only 5 or 6 miles!!
> also the rear 6 batts seem significantly warmer than
> the front 4. I am drawing about 100A@120V most of the
> way, more when going up hills and very little when
> going down. my ave regen seems to be around 30-40A
> (Zapi H2 120v@600A w/regen), but cant expect that to
> add much of any range.
> my questions are: have I destroyed my pack and will
> need to buy new ones? how should I test?
> was it the 2 mile drain w/o charging?
> or was it the heat?
> my batt configuration is a string of 10 12V Gel cells
> 94AH. either way I need to install some vents.
>
> thanks for your input
>
> Brian

That's some good information.....

But,

What are you using to charge? equipment/algorythm

What brand/model gel cells are these.

I hope your charger hasn't dried them out....

--
Stay Charged!
Hump

Re: first degree battery homocide

brian baumel
the batteries are 180 GXL:

http://www.alpha.com/files/documents/AlphaCell%20AC%2010_A04.pdf

my charger is a NG3, I'll have to look at my manual
for the curve....

thanks!

Brian

--- Tim Humphrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> : [EVDL] first degree battery homocide
> >
> > hello everyone,
> > I have a some what simple question:
> >  I've been driving my Bradley GTE for a little
> over 8
> > months now. during the first 6 or so months I
> seemed
> > to have about a 25-30 mile max range. making a 14
> mile
> > round trip was no trouble. I commuted to work, 2
> miles
> > one way. did not charge at work. sometimes I would
> > only have the car a half a day so that I could go
> home
> > and charge it, but many days I had to let it sit
> :(
> > lately the range seems to be decreasing. a couple
> > months ago, I moved and now my commute is 6 miles.
> > even so I've finally arranged to charge at work,
> the
> > batteries have degraded so much that I am just
> > creeping along towards the end of the journey!
> after
> > only 5 or 6 miles!!
> > also the rear 6 batts seem significantly warmer
> than
> > the front 4. I am drawing about 100A@120V most of
> the
> > way, more when going up hills and very little when
> > going down. my ave regen seems to be around 30-40A
> > (Zapi H2 120v@600A w/regen), but cant expect that
> > add much of any range.
> > my questions are: have I destroyed my pack and
> will
> > need to buy new ones? how should I test?
> > was it the 2 mile drain w/o charging?
> > or was it the heat?
> > my batt configuration is a string of 10 12V Gel
> cells
> > 94AH. either way I need to install some vents.
> >
> > thanks for your input
> >
> > Brian
> >

> That's some good information.....
>
> But,
>
> What are you using to charge? equipment/algorythm
>
> What brand/model gel cells are these.
>
> I hope your charger hasn't dried them out....
>
> --
> Stay Charged!
> Hump
> I-5, Blossvale NY

Re: first degree battery homocide

Jeff Major

Hi Brian,

I have no experience with these batteries.  Maybe
someone else will chime in.  But, the spec sheet say
"for stand-by use".  Nowhere does it say they are deep
cycle.  Makes me think they are NOT deep cycle
batteries.  Might be like using automotive cranking
batteries, maybe worse.

Jeff

--- brian baumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the batteries are 180 GXL:

http://www.alpha.com/files/documents/AlphaCell%20AC%2010_A04.pdf

> my charger is a NG3, I'll have to look at my manual
> for the curve....
>
> thanks!
>
> Brian
>

> --- Tim Humphrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > : [EVDL] first degree battery homocide
> > >
> > > hello everyone,
> > > I have a some what simple question:
> > >  I've been driving my Bradley GTE for a little
> > over 8
> > > months now. during the first 6 or so months I
> > seemed
> > > to have about a 25-30 mile max range. making a
> 14
> > mile
> > > round trip was no trouble. I commuted to work, 2
> > miles
> > > one way. did not charge at work. sometimes I
> would
> > > only have the car a half a day so that I could
> go
> > home
> > > and charge it, but many days I had to let it sit
> > :(
> > > lately the range seems to be decreasing. a
> couple
> > > months ago, I moved and now my commute is 6
> miles.
> > > even so I've finally arranged to charge at work,
> > the
> > > batteries have degraded so much that I am just
> > > creeping along towards the end of the journey!
> > after
> > > only 5 or 6 miles!!
> > > also the rear 6 batts seem significantly warmer
> > than
> > > the front 4. I am drawing about 100A@120V most
> of
> > the
> > > way, more when going up hills and very little
> when
> > > going down. my ave regen seems to be around
> 30-40A
> > > (Zapi H2 120v@600A w/regen), but cant expect
> that
> > > add much of any range.
> > > my questions are: have I destroyed my pack and
> > will
> > > need to buy new ones? how should I test?
> > > was it the 2 mile drain w/o charging?
> > > or was it the heat?
> > > my batt configuration is a string of 10 12V Gel
> > cells
> > > 94AH. either way I need to install some vents.
> > >
> > > thanks for your input
> > >
> > > Brian
> > >

> > That's some good information.....
> >
> > But,
> >
> > What are you using to charge? equipment/algorythm
> >
> > What brand/model gel cells are these.
> >
> > I hope your charger hasn't dried them out....
> >
> > --
> > Stay Charged!
> > Hump
> > I-5, Blossvale NY

Re: first degree battery homocide

brian baumel
ok, I have my charger manual with me.
U1=140V, Im=11A
Um=156V, I1=9A
U2=128, I2=0,9A

C:70Ah

T1 max=9h
T2 max=3h
(T3+T2+T3)max=14h

is that the info you need?
I've noted that during U1 it is actually drawing 16A.
but I'm guess that is because of the power
conversion.... 120V*16A=1920W 140V*11A=1540, ya and
plus the losses....

Brian

Re: first degree battery homocide

brian baumel
oh no, I think your right!!! how did I miss that!?! I
thought it said they were somewhere. well that would
certainly explain whats happening.
crap, now I need to buy new batts :(

Brian