good blower for warp 9 motor?

Ben Jarrett

Hey guys,

I read through Corbin's blog on using a Jabsco blower but I'm slightly concerned about
the longevity.  I found this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-DC-Blower-2C646?cm_sp=EN-_-L2-_-TopSellers&cm_vc=FFTS
but it can only go up to 104F.  Not good enough for Austin, TX.

Anyone know of a good one?  Anyone know what type of blower evsource.com is using?

I already have the netgain cover band so I just need the blower, ducting, and a filter (I think).

thanks,
-ben

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

corbin dunn
Based on my research (note: i didn't ask them!) evsource.com is using the 115 (or 120, I forget) CFM Jabsco blower.  This can be verified by looking at the tubing; the 2-3" tubing fits the smaller blowers.

A better blower is any of the 250 CFM ones from Jabsco. These ones are meant for continuous use:
http://www.depcopump.com/catalog107/51.pdf

Spec sheets from Jabsco:
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/35515_FLEXMOUNT_BLOWER.PDF
intermittent: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/35440%2043000_0403_01_01.pdf
continuous: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/35760_and_35770_4_inch_blower.pdf

Notice they all have a 4" inlet port.

That's my 2 cents on the research I did. I decided to go for the 150 CFM blower because it was $90.

corbin

Am Jun 7, 2012 um 8:01 PM schrieb Ben Jarrett <[hidden email]>:

> Hey guys,
>
> I read through Corbin's blog on using a Jabsco blower but I'm slightly concerned about
> the longevity.  I found this:
> http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-DC-Blower-2C646?cm_sp=EN-_-L2-_-TopSellers&cm_vc=FFTS
> but it can only go up to 104F.  Not good enough for Austin, TX.
>
> Anyone know of a good one?  Anyone know what type of blower evsource.com is using?
>
> I already have the netgain cover band so I just need the blower, ducting, and a filter (I think).
>
> thanks,
> -ben

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

David Nelson-5
Ben,

What about this one: http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11

Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

gottdi
I am using a heater blower from a VW Bus. Any mid to late 70's busses came with them.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/4192045.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/4192046.jpg
http://onegreenev.blogspot.com/
No need to wait any longer. You can now buy one off the shelf. You can still build one too.

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

Mark Grasser
I bought a Jabsco 4" blower. 250 cfm, part number 35770-0092. It cost me
less than $130.00

Sincerely,
Mark Grasser

Ben,

What about this one: http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11

Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

=======
http://www.pctools.com/ =======

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

Dave Hymers
Wow. an actual converted turbocharger... isn't that a little overkill, and
added weight too ?

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ben,
>
> What about this one: http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11
>
> Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.
>
> --
> David D. Nelson
> http://evalbum.com/1328
> http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

David Nelson-5
That depends on what your needs are. He did pick the motor so that it
wasn't too loud. I'd rather have more air flow than needed than not
enough. 60-100W isn't much. The bilge blower I use on my Gizmo uses
about 60W and doesn't push as much air through as this one does.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Dave Hymers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow. an actual converted turbocharger... isn't that a little overkill, and
> added weight too ?
>
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ben,
>>
>> What about this one: http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11
>>
>> Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328
http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

corbin dunn
Hi Mark,
Where did you buy it for that price? I couldn't find it for less than around $170 when I was looking a month or so ago. I picked up my 150CFM one for $90 (including shipping, it was about $75 pre-shipping) on ebay.

corbin

Am Jun 10, 2012 um 7:08 AM schrieb Mark Grasser <[hidden email]>:

> I bought a Jabsco 4" blower. 250 cfm, part number 35770-0092. It cost me
> less than $130.00
>

> Sincerely,
> Mark Grasser
>

> Ben,
>
> What about this one: http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11
>
> Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.
>
> --
> David D. Nelson
> http://evalbum.com/1328
> http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

> =======
> (Email Guard: 9.0.0.1218, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19860)
> http://www.pctools.com/ =======
>

> =======
> (Email Guard: 9.0.0.1218, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19870)
> http://www.pctools.com/
> =======

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

corbin dunn
Do you know how loud it is? I would mind something quieter than the Jabsco I have.

I also haven't been able to find a source for *just* the blower. I wonder how how much it alone costs, or where Jack gets them from.

Does anyone know?

corbin

Am Jun 10, 2012 um 12:18 PM schrieb David Nelson <[hidden email]>:

> That depends on what your needs are. He did pick the motor so that it
> wasn't too loud. I'd rather have more air flow than needed than not
> enough. 60-100W isn't much. The bilge blower I use on my Gizmo uses
> about 60W and doesn't push as much air through as this one does.
>
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Dave Hymers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wow. an actual converted turbocharger... isn't that a little overkill, and
>> added weight too ?
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> What about this one: http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11
>>>
>>> Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.
>>>

> --
> David D. Nelson
> http://evalbum.com/1328
> http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

damon henry

Surplus Center usually has a decent selection of blowers.  I bought a couple from them several years ago that have worked out quite well for me.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=electric&keyword=EBSD
damon

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:25:40 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] good blower for warp 9 motor?
>
> Do you know how loud it is? I would mind something quieter than the Jabsco I have.
>
> I also haven't been able to find a source for *just* the blower. I wonder how how much it alone costs, or where Jack gets them from.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> corbin
>
> Am Jun 10, 2012 um 12:18 PM schrieb David Nelson <[hidden email]>:
>
> > That depends on what your needs are. He did pick the motor so that it
> > wasn't too loud. I'd rather have more air flow than needed than not
> > enough. 60-100W isn't much. The bilge blower I use on my Gizmo uses
> > about 60W and doesn't push as much air through as this one does.
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Dave Hymers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Wow. an actual converted turbocharger... isn't that a little overkill, and
> >> added weight too ?

> > --
> > David D. Nelson
> > http://evalbum.com/1328
> > http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

Lee Hart
From: [hidden email]
> Do you know how loud it is? I would mind something quieter than the
> Jabsco I have.

Is it the motor, or the blower that is making the noise that bothers you?

Temporarily silence the blower noise by plugging the inlet and outlet.
Run it, and you'll hear just the motor noise. If the motor is quiet
enough by itself, then it's the blower noise that you want to silence.

That can be done the same way car exhaust and air compressors are
silenced; with a muffler. One useful method is a soft thick closed-cell
foam rubber tube. You'll see such tubing used as pipe insulation. Or,
you can use metal ducting, and apply the foam to the outside of it. At
the inlet, place some kind of baffle so the noise from the blower can't
radiate out the end like the bell of a trumpet.

If the motor is the noisy part, you'll need to find a way to put it
inside a soundproofed enclosure. This is harder, as the motor also needs
significant amount of cooling air. On blowers designed to be quiet, the
motor is usually put in the center of the blower housing, inside the
airflow being moved. That way, whatever silences the air ducts also
silences the motor. The airflow also natually cools the motor.

Finally, you can also replace the motor with a quieter one of about the
same RPM. I've even seen blowers with 120vac motors and a small
12vdc-to-120vac inverter just to run the motor. AC induction motors are
significantly quieter than most inexpensive brushed motors.

--
If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?
        -- Albert Einstein
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

Mark Grasser
$164.00 here
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Jabsco-4-250-Cfm-Flexmount-Heavy-Duty-Blower-1-p
/jab35770-0092.htm?click=18

Got mine from one of the distributors I supply. Guess I twisted his arm a
little.

Sincerely,
Mark Grasser

Where did you buy it for that price? I couldn't find it for less than around
$170 when I was looking a month or so ago. I picked up my 150CFM one for $90
(including shipping, it was about $75 pre-shipping) on ebay.

corbin

Am Jun 10, 2012 um 7:08 AM schrieb Mark Grasser <[hidden email]>:

> I bought a Jabsco 4" blower. 250 cfm, part number 35770-0092. It cost
> me less than $130.00
>

> Sincerely,
> Mark Grasser
>

> Ben,
>
> What about this one:
> http://evtvshop.projectooc.com/products.php?cat=11
>
> Jack talks about it in the June 1, 2012 show.
>
> --
> David D. Nelson
> http://evalbum.com/1328
> http://2003gizmo.blogspot.com

> =======
> (Email Guard: 9.0.0.1218, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19860)
> http://www.pctools.com/ =======
>

> =======
> (Email Guard: 9.0.0.1218, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19870)
> http://www.pctools.com/ =======

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

Mark Grasser
Could also be the ducting that the air is passing through, then the motor
itself.

Sincerely,
Mark Grasser

Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

On 6/11/2012 2:29 PM, Mark Grasser wrote:
> Could also be the ducting that the air is passing through, then the motor
> itself.

Yes, ducts with a rough inside surface or sharp bends also make noise.
Though in most cases, this noise is probably drowned out by the motor or
blower itself.

--
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls
and looks like work. -- Thomas A. Edison
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart at earthlink.net

Re: good blower for warp 9 motor?

corbin dunn
Hi Lee,

Most the noise seems to be from the motor itself. It isn't overlay loud itself, and I can't hear it as soon as I start driving more than 10 or 20 mph. Replacing it with a 120v motor with a converter might be a good option for me. However, given that it only comes on when it is hot out (like every day, lately), I may wait till it really bothers me before doing anything about it.

Lately, I've been spending a bunch of time working on other cool enhancements to control the charger with an arduino. I'll post more when I'm done with the project.

corbin