interesting links

https://www.rathascourage.com/author%20bio%20
http://www.evalbum.com/223

Interestingly, JB's early activities are not mentioned in his wikipedia
article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Straubel

Re: interesting links

I had no idea he started on a 944! How interesting.

PS if I ever get a wikipedia page I’ll make sure EVDL is mentioned all over it. ;).

> On 19 Mar 2018, at 18:08, Rod Hower via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I still remember when JB was on the EVDL posting about that Porshe and getting advice from Lee Hart and other longtime list members!
>

>    On Monday, March 19, 2018 12:53 PM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> https://www.rathascourage.com/author%20bio%20
> http://www.evalbum.com/223
>
> Interestingly, JB's early activities are not mentioned in his wikipedia
> article
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Straubel

Re: interesting links

We could always add to the page.  Or even make you one Matthew

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

On 20 Mar. 2018, 08:43, at 08:43, Matthew Quitter via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I had no idea he started on a 944! How interesting.
>
>PS if I ever get a wikipedia page I’ll make sure EVDL is mentioned all
>over it. ;).
>
>> On 19 Mar 2018, at 18:08, Rod Hower via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I still remember when JB was on the EVDL posting about that Porshe
>and getting advice from Lee Hart and other longtime list members!
>>

>>    On Monday, March 19, 2018 12:53 PM, Willie via EV
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> https://www.rathascourage.com/author%20bio%20
>> http://www.evalbum.com/223
>>
>> Interestingly, JB's early activities are not mentioned in his
>wikipedia
>> article
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Straubel

Clare Bell, JB: interesting links

Way-way before JB was, Clare Bell

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Raptor-600-DC-Motor-Controller-on-Ebay-tp429551p429586.html

http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=437

http://www.evalbum.com/5306

Clare has done many good-EV-deeds long before I got involved with EVs. At
one point she was working at the Alameda-CA calstart hangar 20 for green
motor works (a SoCal conversion biz back before the automakers 'said' they
were going to make&sell production EVs, and all the conversion EV biz
folded/closed down).

They were selling-off a Ford Escort StaWgn, that I bought to keep in the SF
area. I paid Clare to upgrade the 108VDC T-105 pack with US-125s, and
install a 4-gauge cable run to the rear trunk area for higher powered
charging (I was using a Zivan NG5 5kW charger, along with its on-board BC-20
L1 charger in parallel - I was the only one doing parallel charging back
then).

After I gathered my data, I put the EV up for sale in the SF area at my cost
(I did many EV-things back then at or below my cost). Months later, it had a
new SF area owner.

Later, I paid Clare to do some important work on my S-10 Blazer EV (after
the San Mateo converter I had been using sold his biz). I am grateful for
all the work she did as I really needed help to get those issues resolved.

On JB's personal (safe) web page [
http://www.straubel.com/
], the links to his Porsche conversion, and pusher go nowhere (they're as
good as dead-Jim). Which is why I grabbed what I could of what those pages
were and created a (safe) clone of them for archival purposes (so we didn't
JB's before-Tesla good-EV-deeds), see:

https://brucedp.neocities.org/jstraubel/

The evdl archive also has a post I made documenting when I first saw JB
driving his Porsche with his pusher (years ago when I was a hp-CE):
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Archived-clean-cloned-pages-of-former-jstraubel-site-944-EV-pushers-gen1-2-more-tp4684626.html

Re: Clare Bell, JB: interesting links

Whatever happened to Clair Bell?
She dropped off the grid around the EVS-16 or so.

Bill D.

On 3/20/2018 3:54 PM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Way-way before JB was, Clare Bell
>
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Raptor-600-DC-Motor-Controller-on-Ebay-tp429551p429586.html
>
> http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=437
>
> http://www.evalbum.com/5306
>
> Clare has done many good-EV-deeds long before I got involved with EVs. At
> one point she was working at the Alameda-CA calstart hangar 20 for green
> motor works (a SoCal conversion biz back before the automakers 'said' they
> were going to make&sell production EVs, and all the conversion EV biz
> folded/closed down).
>
> They were selling-off a Ford Escort StaWgn, that I bought to keep in the SF
> area. I paid Clare to upgrade the 108VDC T-105 pack with US-125s, and
> install a 4-gauge cable run to the rear trunk area for higher powered
> charging (I was using a Zivan NG5 5kW charger, along with its on-board BC-20
> L1 charger in parallel - I was the only one doing parallel charging back
> then).
>
> After I gathered my data, I put the EV up for sale in the SF area at my cost
> (I did many EV-things back then at or below my cost). Months later, it had a
> new SF area owner.
>
> Later, I paid Clare to do some important work on my S-10 Blazer EV (after
> the San Mateo converter I had been using sold his biz). I am grateful for
> all the work she did as I really needed help to get those issues resolved.
>

> On JB's personal (safe) web page [
> http://www.straubel.com/
> ], the links to his Porsche conversion, and pusher go nowhere (they're as
> good as dead-Jim). Which is why I grabbed what I could of what those pages
> were and created a (safe) clone of them for archival purposes (so we didn't
> JB's before-Tesla good-EV-deeds), see:
>
> https://brucedp.neocities.org/jstraubel/
>
> The evdl archive also has a post I made documenting when I first saw JB
> driving his Porsche with his pusher (years ago when I was a hp-CE):
> http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Archived-clean-cloned-pages-of-former-jstraubel-site-944-EV-pushers-gen1-2-more-tp4684626.html
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
>   http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: interesting links

Thanks Matt! That's a kind offer but I'm perfectly happy not being on
wikipedia!

Whilst I've got people's attention...

The latest complaint I'm getting about EVs here in London is that they
still release particulate matter from their tires and brakes (despite my
insistence that regen decreases friction brake use) and that represents a
considerable pollutant.

Has anyone else experienced that concern?

I came across this thorough review on the subject: http://www.
lowemissionstrategies.org/downloads/Jan15/Non_Exhaust_Particles11.pdf

Previously I'd only encountered the idea through this inflammatory piece
last year which rung the bell of the London cycling lobby.
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2017/03/particle-pollution-from-
electric-cars-could-be-worse-than-from-diesel-ones/

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matthew

07966 806 727

On 20 March 2018 at 02:58, Bill Dube via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Whatever happened to Clair Bell?
> She dropped off the grid around the EVS-16 or so.

Clare moved to the Rocket Ranch at Patterson California and later
married the owner Chuck Piper.

For a while she only had a satellite phone.

--
Paul Compton
www.morini-mania.co.uk

Re: Clare Bell, JB: interesting links

One of the links that Willie posted was about Clare, biographical info
and her books.

On 3/20/2018 12:51 PM, Paul Compton via EV wrote:
> On 20 March 2018 at 02:58, Bill Dube via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Whatever happened to Clair Bell?
>> She dropped off the grid around the EVS-16 or so.
>
> Clare moved to the Rocket Ranch at Patterson California and later
> married the owner Chuck Piper.
>
> For a while she only had a satellite phone.

Re: Clare Bell, JB: interesting links

Glad to hear Clare Bell is well.  I never knew she'd written kids' books.
She was a major contributor to the EVDL in its early days.  Here are a
couple of her posts from September of 1996.

From Ce****@AOL.COM Mon Sep 16 08:54:28 1996
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 01:14:58 -0400
From: Clare Bell <Ce****@AOL.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list EV <[hidden email]>
Subject: Have donor 914, will build EV

I just bought another gas 914 - it was such a deal I couldn't let it go. If
anyone wants an electric 914, I can build one just like Black Magic, or any
other way.

The one I just got is a 1973, red with black top, nice interior, no cracks
in the vinyl dash and it even has aftermarket air-conditioning, which could
probably be run off a separate small electric motor.

They make a very nice mid-distance commuter. Vince Bradley had Black Magic
(1976 914 EV conversion) for a while and he was making a run from Belmont,
CA down to Lockheed in Sunnyvale. Some days he didn't even charge at work.
He used the car for three weeks and then he made a run from Belmont over
Hiway 92 to Hiway 1 and then down the coast to Santa Cruz,  a 62-mile run
with some good ups and downs.

Black Magic also did 84 miles on nearly brand-new batteries in the 1995 EAA
Rally at Lockheed, coming in 3rd.

This car lives at 2300 ft above sea level and regularly makes trips up and
down the Santa Cruz mountains on very wind-y roads (fun!).

I used to use #13 for trips from South San Jose over to Bonny Doon in Santa
Cruz while I was working on Black Magic. #13's batteries were hot, (would
charge to a specific gravity of 13.00) so that increased their capacity, but
the car was pretty amazing. I "hopped the hill" on Hiway 17 about 10 or 15
times. I also used to commute from south San Jose to San Francisco, charging
at both ends.

These EVs are strong enough and handle well enough to race and autocross.
Brown's kit, by the way, includes all the 914 suspension upgrades (heavier
torsion bar and 180 lb adjustable platform Koni or Bilstein coilover shocks)

If anyone wants a "Green 914", or help building one, let me know. I love
putting these cars together and getting them on the road.

Fourteener Fanatic
CB
Have donor 914, will build EV

=====

From Ce****@AOL.COM Mon Sep 23 19:25:05 1996
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:13:51 -0400
From: Clare Bell <Ce****@AOL.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list EV <[hidden email]>
Subject: Gearboxes, EV1 book, Smog2

On VW-Porsche conversions, I replace the hypoid gear oil with Redline
Automatic Transmission Fluid. It has less hydraulic drag. Since you don't
have an ICE engine heating and thinning the transmission fluid, ATF or Mobil
One works fine.

{snip]

On 21 March 2018 at 06:56, EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Glad to hear Clare Bell is well.  I never knew she'd written kids' books.

Definitely not 'Kids' books!

Some of her books got classified as 'Young Adult', but they weren't
written specifically for that market.

On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:47, Paul Compton via EV wrote:

> Definitely not 'Kids' books!

Oops, sorry, no offense meant!  I misread the linked bio page.  I'm not
familiar with the Ratha books, but they sound interesting.  I'll check them
out.

Regardless, still glad to hear she's doing well.  Clare had a lot of EV work
going back in the day.  She was active in (a founder of maybe?) WE'RE-IT,
the Women's Electric Racing Team.  WE'RE-IT competed in EV track racing
events, including the Phoenix APS Electrics.

I'm pretty sure that another EVDL member of that era, Mary Ann Chapman, was
also a WE'RE-IT member.  Mary Ann designed the outstanding Desert Lightning
S10 conversion, and IIRC had a hand in helping to formulate the NEC's first
EV charging regulations.  They messed it up anyway.  :-(

Below is another from the same series of Clare's old EVDL posts.  She drops
a few famous EV names here, including Bob Schneeveis, Otmar Ebenhoech, and
Allan Cocconi.

Bob Schneeveis's Snow White:

https://web.stanford.edu/dept/SUL/library/extra4/sloan/EVonline/evaosc/94
04/page8.htm

https://v.gd/4IiWHI

Otmar Ebbenhoech, creator of the Zilla motor controller and all kinds of
unorthodox EVs from an electric sofa to his current project, a Tesla-powered
stretched VW Westfalia:

http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/about/

Allan Cocconi, genius EE, whose gorgeous T-Zero roadster inspired the Tesla
Roadster Mk I:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Propulsion_tzero

=====

From Ce****@AOL.COM Mon Sep 16 08:53:29 1996
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 01:12:42 -0400
From: Clare Bell <Ce****@AOL.COM>
To: Multiple recipients of list EV <[hidden email]>
Subject: EVs in SCCA

I'm really glad to hear that SCCA is considering a class for EVs. Actually,
here in Northern CA, a number of EVs have already raced in SCCA Solo 2
Autocross. The first one that I know of in this area was my #13 Porsche 914,
which ran at San Jose Fairgrounds (parking lot autocross) in the summer
1993. Dan Sullivan and I took turns at the wheel. Sullivan (not the famous
one, but a very good road race driver who also drives the ESR 1) turned some
pretty good laps against gas cars. I didn't do too bad, except I spun the
Porsche.

During 1994 and 1995, I ran #13 intermittently in SCCA Solo 2 events in the
San Francisco Bay SCCA Region. These included Candlestick Park, Oakland
Coliseum, Mather Airforce Base and others. I was usually asigned to class
OSP (Open Street Prepared).

Since I'm not the best autocross driver (yet), I've hunted up folks who run
gas 914s and put them in #13. Several have come away with impressive times,
so the car can definitely do it.

#13 also was the first electric on-track at Sears Point Raceway during an
SCCA Solo 1 road race (also 1993). The EV ran demo laps with Sullivan
driving and me as passenger. Great fun!

Bob Schneeveis usually excels at anything mechanical he attempts and he's
been cleaning up the SCCA Solo 2 track with SnoWhite and his Fiat X1-9 since
1994. SnoWhite with Otmar Ebbenhoech at the wheel, has posted some
impressive times. SnoWhite has gone in A-Modified, the Fiat runs against me
and #13 in OSP.

Bob himself drives the X1-9 and regularly pastes me. (The limitation here is
the driver -- me.) With Otmar's 1000-amp controller, the Fiat is one mean
machine.

The ESR-1 has also been running Solo 2 autocross, and has developed into a
worthy competitor for SnoWhite. I think some electric Rabbits here have also
run Solo2, though Rabbits have a tendency to lift a rear wheel in corners.

Recently both Bob's Fiat and my Porsche have been sidelined -- Bob because
he needs his monster controller back and me because I blew up the Porsche's
motor. But as soon as I get my motor back in and Bob has the 1000-amper,
watch out, gas cars!

Actually the SCCA crowd gets a bang out of the EVs. Every time I've gone,
people have said, "I'm really glad you're here", or "What a neat idea!!"
etc. I've had no negative responses.

If the SCCA National Committee wants to know what it is like to have EVs in
Solo2 competition, they should talk to the SF Regional. Previous president
Katie Elder (she's really good) has driven several of the above EVs.

It helps if the EV entry drivers work the track and help with tech inspect.
And if EV drivers learn how to do tech inspections, they can help formulate
the tech inspect rules for their cars.

Hey, you guys with EV tire-burners, such as Rod Wilde's RX-7, John Wayland's
White Zombie and ??; make' em handle and take 'em out to Solo2. It educates
the public and it's a ton of fun.

I also think that Al Cocconi should put his Honda CRX in SCCA Solo 2. That
car would absolutely macerate the gas-guzzlers and bring AC Propulsion a lot
of publicity. Hey, Allan, if you'e looking for someone to organize an EV
racing team, or even a womens' EV racing team. WE'RE-IT has done pretty
decently at Phoenix, all told, considering. Or get a Cocconi drivetrain in
#13? Dream on, Clare....

cb

On 03/21/2018 10:10 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that another EVDL member of that era, Mary Ann Chapman, was
> also a WE'RE-IT member.  Mary Ann designed the outstanding Desert Lightning
> S10 conversion, and IIRC had a hand in helping to formulate the NEC's first
> EV charging regulations.  They messed it up anyway.  :-(

I was looking for Mary Ann stuff when I came across the Clare links; I
posted only one of the more interesting.  It seems Mary Ann and Clare
had a close association.  I know that Mary Ann and Gail crossed paths in
their EV promotion efforts.

I knew Mary Ann LONG before her EV interest developed.  After she moved
from Austin, she fell off my radar. For a long while, I was unaware of
her EV activities and I had no EV interest myself.

After my epiphany connected to viewing WKTEC, I finally became aware of
all the people that had poured their souls into the EV effort.  And were
then smacked down by GM and California government.  I believe Mary Ann
has bitterness over her EV business failure; she doesn't have much
interest in EVs these days.  I've fairly recently encouraged Mary Ann to
check back in on EVDL.  Perhaps Clare is the same.  Gail has the
attitude that it is good that EVs have FINALLY taken off.  I harbor FAR
more resentment against GM than Gail does.  I view GM as even more evil
than microsoft.

Good stuff on SCCA below.  I did not know that EVs had any SCCA
presence.  As an old SCCA road racer, I've had little interest in the
principle EV racing, drag racing.  Even though they seem to have been
emotionally high strung, I regret the absence of drag racers on EVDL.

I do have a little personal history on Mary Ann which I can post if I
get permission.

On 21 March 2018 at 15:10, EVDL Administrator via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2018 at 10:47, Paul Compton via EV wrote:

>  Clare had a lot of EV work
> going back in the day.  She was active in (a founder of maybe?) WE'RE-IT,
> the Women's Electric Racing Team.  WE'RE-IT competed in EV track racing
> events, including the Phoenix APS Electrics.

> I'm pretty sure that another EVDL member of that era, Mary Ann Chapman, was
> also a WE'RE-IT member.

I was a WE'RE-IT team member in 1996 (special dispensation; no surgery
required) and Mary Ann was the driver that year.
From 1997 to 1999, Mike Slominski and I effectively ran the car. John
Wayland hooked us up with some Optima batteries and we ran under the
Optimal Performance banner.

For the last year we borrowed a Zilla controller and ran at 288v
nominal, but with current to the ADC 9" motor limited to 200amp peak.
We topped 135mph in testing on the runways at Alameda and were giving
the National Auto Sports Association cars a run for their money in raw
speed and lap times. We took an easy third place in the 12 lap short
race despite our speed being severely limited by an overheating
controller. Running the coolant through a box full of ice solved that
problem. A throttle safety microswitch failure took us out of the 25
lap race, which was a real shame because with our new higher top speed
we could tuck up under the rear spoiler of the AC Propulsion powered
Z28 and run down the fast straight with barely any throttle.

Richard Hatfield was our driver/sponsor that year and the performance
achieved helped inspire him to quit the financial industry and found
first Alliance Renewable Energy and then Lightning Motorcycles.

--
Paul Compton
www.morini-mania.co.uk
www.paulcompton.co.uk (YouTube channel)

Re: MAC, Clare Bell, JB: interesting links

% Here are more links and detail to explore:  %

- (% dated info, she may not be active with them anymore %)
https://books.google.com/books?id=0ecUzLRyN5cC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=Mary+Ann+Chapman+electric
Mary Ann Chapman
Tucson EV Association
P.O. box 77538
Tucson, AZ 85705
602-888-9645
-

-
https://www.linkedin.com/in/mary-ann-chapman-509984
Mary Ann Chapman | Professional Profile
LinkedIn is the world's largest business network, helping professionals like
Mary Ann Chapman discover inside connections to recommended job candidates,
... She has owned and operated businesses in the areas of software, tourism,
technology transfer, electric vehicles, web development, and strategic
marketing ...
-

- (% text only, no images. Mary & Clare mentioned %)
http://www.armory.com/~lrc/evrace.html
 ... Photo #4. Caption: Black 1973 914 EV converted and raced by Cal State
University at Long Beach. Shown at the 1996 Phoenix APS Electrics, held at
Firebird Raceway, Phoenix, AZ. Photo: Paul Compton ]

Some History I am certainly not the first to use an electric powerplant in a
914. When engineers and hobbyists began converting cars in the 1960's and
70's, using parts adapted from other industries (aircraft starter-generators
as traction motors, for instance), their attention inevitably fell on the
Porsche 914. The first modern one may have been done in Hawaii, in the late
'70s. There is also some evidence of an electric 914 running around
Campbell, CA in 1984.

[Photo #5. Caption: Number Thirteen runs for the Women's Electric Racing
Team at 1995 Phoenix APS Electric Stock. Mary Ann Chapman, driver.]

Inspiration Since #13 was built, she has inspired other 914 Evs. There are
at least 15 either on the road or being built. In her original
configuration, "the Thirteener" served as a model for the VoltsPorsche
conversion kit developed by a small Northern California company called
Electro Automotive. This kit includes all the parts and instructions needed
to convert a stock 914 from gas to electric.(Electro Automotive is located
in Felton, CA, tel: (408)-429-1989). They have flyers on the VoltsPorsche
kit.

[Photo - First VoltsPorsche, "Black Magic". This car was built in order to
develop a commercial conversion kit for the 914. She also served as an "EV
ambassador to the general public" by giving rides and appearing in shows.
(EAA San Francisco Bay Area Electric Auto Rally, 1995)

I worked together with Electro Automotive to build the first VoltsPorsche=2E
I provided the donor car, a space-black 1976 2.0L. I also paid for the kit
design/fabrication and helped assemble the final car. The donor car was a
space-black 1976 2.0L. The result was VoltsPorsche One, "Black Magic", which
went on the road in early 1995. This car demonstrated that #13's performance
was no fluke by duplicating the range and acceleration of the earlier car.

"Black Magic" has proved to be a reliable high-mileage EV. In the Santa Cruz
mountains, the car has shown a working range of 40 miles, and recently
completed a 46-mile test run. This included a 2300 ft climb from Santa Cruz
up Empire Grade to Bonny Doon at speeds between 35-40 mph (this is the speed
limit on these roads).

"Black Magic" now lives in San Bruno, CA, where she has to tackle the steep
hills characteristic of the San Francisco area.

Photo #7. Caption: [Clare and #13 explain EVs to some interested young
women]

Do batteries make the car heavier? In some cases, yes. It depends on the
kind of batteries used and how many=2E The trend is toward lighter Evs. Curb
weights for finished cars can vary from 2500 lb to 3200 lb. (see car
specifications below for details)

[Photo #8. Jaws? No, Just Black Magic, showing how clean an electric
conversion can be. Polypropylene battery boxes with hold-downs fit nicely
into the 914's front trunk. Photo: Lee Hemstreet.]

Can the 914 handle extra battery weight?

Yes. The original 914 chassis is extremely strong. It was designed in a
multi-cell structure to absorb and diffuse collision impacts. It also has
two heavy box-beam channels running along the sides of the car, so that even
with the roof off, a 914 has more chassis rigidity than a 911. People have
walked away from 60 and 70 mph head-on collisions in 914s. In addition The
car was designed to handle much more weight and power than Porsche ever gave
it. Racers routinely drop big-block V-8s in Fourteeners and Porsche actually
built two with a 908 racing engine. These cars are driven harder than any
car on the road, since they handle so well, and they survive it. There are
also chassis-strengthening kits, since some people do drive gas 914's so
hard that the body can separate from the firewall at the rear shock-towers
("Flexy-Flyer syndrome).

[Photo#9. Caption: New advanced sealed 12V batteries, such as the
Electrosource Horizon, can fit quite neatly into the 914's "letterbox".
Battery jugglers:, left, Ruth MacDougal, right Clare Bell.]

[Photo #10. Caption: A closer look. The straps were added to facilitate

Since 914s are used a lot in competition, there are all sorts of
after-market brake and suspension mods available. Some 914 racers upgrade
their brakes to 911 calipers and rotors, which are 11 inch drilled disks and
give better stopping power. That requires going to 5-lug 911 wheel hubs. The
car is definitely heavier and does take a little more time to stop. I allow
for that in my driving. Eventually it becomes habit, part of the "feel" of
driving the EV.

Technical specifications on the cars:

VoltsPorsche One - "Black Magic" space-black" 1975 914 2.0 L, first car
converted in 1995 with Electro Automotive commercial "VoltsPorsche" kit.
Motor: Advanced DC 9-inch series-wound DC motor Adapter - mates motor to 5
speed transmission and houses clutch Voltage - 120V DC Electronic controller
- Curtis 1231C, rated for 144V and 500 Amps Battery type - US Battery 2300
Charger - K and W BC-20 with booster transformer Rear suspension - 180 LB
Bilstein coilover shocks Front suspension - largest available torsion bar.
Additional instruments - Battery pack voltmeter, ammeter, auxiliary battery
voltmeter Top speed - 85 mph. Range - 70-80 miles on one charge.

Former configuration - same as "Black Magic", which was based on #13 before
that car was modified for racing ...
[Last modified 01/22/99]
-

- (% 1996 NYT news item, Mary mentioned %)
http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/03/nyregion/for-the-return-of-electric-cars-the-reality-is-virtually-present.html
For the Return of Electric Cars, The Reality Is Virtually Present
March 3, 1996 ... Mr. Whitridge, whose business is finance and investments,
has opened Blue Sky Motors here, the first dealership in the southern
Connecticut-Westchester County area to market electric vehicles. Blue Sky
will sell and service the Desert Lightning, an electric conversion of the
Chevrolet S-10 pickup truck manufactured by Eco Electric Corporation of
Tucson, Ariz.

The electric pickup, powered by 24 6-volt, lead-acid batteries and a direct
current motor, has a top speed of about 70 miles an hour, a range of 60 to
80 miles between recharges and a base price of $28,500. Blue Sky is also a
licensed assembler, meaning that Eco Electric's prefabricated conversion
system can be installed at the dealership.

While the Desert Lightning will primarily be sold in quantity to utility
companies and government agencies for their service fleets and for use at
airports for ground transportation, Eco Electric plans to add a sedan within
a year "to satisfy the Greenwich-Westchester market," said Mary Ann Chapman,
Eco Electric's chief executive officer ...

Recharging systems vary. Some electric vehicles, including the Desert
Lightning pickup, have an on-board conductive charging system, sometimes
called  an "opportunity" or overnight charger, which plugs into a regular
110-volt wall  outlet. There are faster, more expensive charging systems
that require a 220-volt outlet. General Motors has patented an inductive
charge system -- installed at the owner's home -- which transmits
alternating magnetic current through a "paddle" inserted into a slot at the
front of the car

The Desert Lightning charger is included in the price of the vehicle, and
each overnight recharge costs $2 to $3. The 220-volt recharger costs about
$200  to $300 to install, if a house does not have a heavy-duty outlet, and
the charger itself costs $700 to $1,000. G.M.'s recharge system costs even
more but  is expected to be included in the price of the EV1 ...

California's relaxed requirements may have cooled prospects for the small
electric vehicle companies that have popped up across the country, but an
announcement on Jan. 4 stirred the pot even more: the General Motors
Corporation announced it would start selling an electric car, the EV1, in
four Western markets this fall.

The EV1 is a version of the two-seat Impact electric car, which General
Motors began demonstrating in 1990. Built from the ground up rather than as
a conversion of an internal-combustion car, the EV1 will have a range of 70
to 90  miles and a mid-$30,000 price. General Motors added that it would
bring out a compact electric pickup truck next year ...

Mr. Whitridge of Blue Sky is looking at other electric vehicles to add to
his dealership and sees no immediate competitive threat in General Motors'
announcement. In fact, he said he welcomed the attention EV1 will draw to
electric vehicles

And Mr. Chezar of the New York Power Authority sees the advent of EV1 as a
"very major" step

"Although the industry has had a few false starts," he said, "electric
vehicles are not going to go away anymore.
[© 2018 The New York Times Company]
-

- (% 1994 News item, Mary mentioned %)
https://www.inc.com/magazine/19940501/2906.html
Charged Up: Electric Vehicles
Three start-ups that are developing, converting, and manufacturing electric
vehicles.
1994-05-01  Alessandra Bianchi  ...

Some start-ups already making electric vehicles a reality:
* * *

Ecoelectric Corp.
Tucson

"It's good for us that the Big Three are dragging their feet, for it gives
the little guys a chance to build up a head of steam," says Mary Ann
Chapman. Chapman, a former race-car driver, spent 20 years running her own
computer-software business before founding an electric- conversion company,
EcoElectric Corp., in 1992. Privately funded with $30,000, EcoElectric does
custom conversions of small sedans and pickups; designs and sells EV
components; and provides EV consulting, maintenance, and repair services. A
self-taught EV expert who drives and races her own peach-colored converted
Chevy pickup, Chapman claims she is "not doing anything new and amazing in
the R&D category," but rather focusing on workmanship. "My electric vehicles
just don't break. Not the way I build them," she boasts. EcoElectric
recently entered an alliance with a Phoenix company to launch an
electric-vehicle courier service between Phoenix and Tucson, which is
scheduled to begin operation next month. It will be the first of its kind in
the country, claims Chapman. EcoElectric expects 1994 revenues to be less
than $1 million ...
[© 2018 inc.com]
-

% There were many other people involved with EVs way-back then. A couple
more are:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kitty+rodden+electric
Kitty Rodden - her biz supported the few gen1 production EVs that actually
got out into the public's ownership-hands (RAV4-EV, Ranger-EV, S-10-EV,
+more).

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DP412J/jul-20-2006-pleasant-hill-ca-usa-scott-left-and-anna-cornell-with-DP412J.jpg
Anna Cornell (seen with husband Scott in his e-VW Ghia)

Anna's e-VW Rabbit seen at
http://www.evalbum.com/322.html

They're one of many 'Electric' families. Long before PVs/solar panels and
their associated electronics were (ebay) available off-the-shelf like today,
the Cornells' house had a solar roof that charged a garage pack made up of
PbSO4 batteries too tired for EV use, but still good for storing solar
electricity during the day. Both their EVs would charge at night off solar
electrons gathered during the day (they're ahead of their time/ahead of the
curve). %

Re: MAC, Clare Bell, JB: interesting links

Speaking of EVDL legends... I was watching “Fastest Car” on Netflix last night, and got a bit of a surprise!
Episode 7, if you haven’t seen it.