Quantcast

making a hybrid VW beetle by attaching electric motor to front wheels

making a hybrid VW beetle by attaching electric motor to front wheels

Hello everyone
I have initially considered attaching an electric motor by removing the combustion engine but I figured it may be possible to instead attach an electric motor to the front wheels so I can run the Beetle with the combustion engine if I run out of batteries. I have heard from some sources that this is doable but I would want to hear from the experts here.
I have some questions:1. where would it be attached to the front wheel?2. a beetle is est. to be a 800kg car, what type of electric motor in terms of wattage, volts, amps are we looking at for a front wheel connection. I was originally considering something around 10kw motor but I don't know at what volt/amp combo I should do. should be able to climb driveways.
Hope to hear from you all :)

Re: making a hybrid VW beetle by attaching electric motor to front wheels

Sounds like a bad idea. Doable is not necessarily wise. Given
unlimited cash and time, all sorts of questionable things are
"doable."

You did not mention which body/chassis style...there are three. The
front end on the older models (but not oldest) is nothing like what
you might expect and you would have to throw it away and start over.
The oldest ones at least had kingpins and were much more robust, but
they are valuable as they are and hard to come by; the kingpin models
were beloved and thus mostly destroyed by off road use. I never looked
under the newest models, I presume they are like most cars and front
wheel drive anyway - not what you described.

If it is possible, you might want to try hub motors though they have
disadvantages.

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Samuel El Guapo via EV
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone
> I have initially considered attaching an electric motor by removing the combustion engine but I figured it may be possible to instead attach an electric motor to the front wheels so I can run the Beetle with the combustion engine if I run out of batteries. I have heard from some sources that this is doable but I would want to hear from the experts here.
> I have some questions:1. where would it be attached to the front wheel?2. a beetle is est. to be a 800kg car, what type of electric motor in terms of wattage, volts, amps are we looking at for a front wheel connection. I was originally considering something around 10kw motor but I don't know at what volt/amp combo I should do. should be able to climb driveways.
> Hope to hear from you all :)

Thomas A. Edison

Warren Buffet

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land
(919) 576-0824 Mobile and Google Phone

Re: making a hybrid VW beetle by attaching electric motor to front wheels

Imran520
Good work, keep it continue .
http://www.gari.pk/