new/old member looking for advice/leads

R. Matt Milliron

  Looking for a bit of advice.  I am an old member, life got hard and
I had to back up a little bit.  I am back and have been reading the
list, trying to catch up.  Already pulled one newby trick.

  I need to buy batteries and a charger.  Looking a 156 volt nominal,
100 amp hour, LiFePO4, prismatic pack with a few backups and a
calibrated charger.  Info on preferred brand and sellers, I am tired
of blind Internet searches.  Somebody in Texas or New Mexico would be
preferred.  I like to spend as local as possible.  TIA

  R. M. Milliron
  Lubbock Texas

1981 Jet Electrica (Ford Escort)
http://evalbum.austinev.org/702
http://www.jimerico.net/

  This machine had been garaged for 17 years.  I have
upgraded and made it operable.  Tabitha, my daughter,
named it, "Pikachu".  It's yellow and black, electric
and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.

Re: new/old member looking for advice/leads

Mike Nickerson
I don't have any recommendations for local suppliers, but I've been happy
with my Elcon 2000+ charger with Thundersky LiFePO4 cells.  It switches
automatically between 110V and 220V input supplies.  If the pack is well
balanced (top balanced), it tapers current automatically and keeps each cell
below the alert voltage on the MiniBMS system.  All the cells start
shunting.  Just after the next-to-last cell starts shunting, the charger
quits charging.

The only thing I wish was different was the load on the 110V input while
bulk charging.  It is 15-16A.  I wish there was some way I could change it
down to 12A or so and be nicer to a 15A 110V circuit.  I don't think there
is any way.

I think the charger also has to be pre-programmed for the ending voltage
(number of cells).  You have choices for various battery types, but all at a
common ending voltage.  If you were changing the system frequently, you
might want something more flexible than the Elcon.  However, it has been
working well for me.

Mike

Cruisin
If you are looking for the best batteries at the best price, email ebevconversion@gmail.com for CALB batteries direct from the manufacturer for $1.25 per ah any size. Best price I have seen available.

Re: new/old member looking for advice/leads

Willie2
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 06:13:00AM -0700, Cruisin wrote:
> If you are looking for the best batteries at the best price, email
> [hidden email] for CALB batteries direct from the manufacturer for
> $1.25 per ah any size. Best price I have seen available.

http://alliancerenewableenergy.com/main.sc
is advertising TS for $1.08 in China, $1.25 in the US.
For a large order, I imagine that the "in China" option will be down
in the $1.20 "in the US" range.

For 60+ cells,
http://www.evolveelectrics.com/Sinopoly.html
is offering Sinopolys for $1.25, presumably in the US.

I have not used either of those suppliers.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

On Sun, 20 May 2012 23:02:29 -0500, you wrote:

>  I need to buy batteries and a charger.  Looking a 156 volt nominal,
>100 amp hour, LiFePO4, prismatic pack with a few backups and a
>calibrated charger.  Info on preferred brand?

  Thank you for the prompt replies.  What is the current best of the
bunch?  Yellow, blue, black or white? ;) (ThunderSky, CALB, Sinopolys,
HIpower, etc)

  R. M. Milliron
  Lubbock Texas

1981 Jet Electrica (Ford Escort)
http://evalbum.austinev.org/702
http://www.jimerico.net/

  This machine had been garaged for 17 years.  I have
upgraded and made it operable.  Tabitha, my daughter,
named it, "Pikachu".  It's yellow and black, electric
and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.

Re: new/old member looking for advice/leads

Mike Nickerson
I don't know what's "best".  I have ThunderSky 100Ah cells and they are
working OK.  However, they are 3C cells.  It might be my controller
contributing, but I rarely pull more than 300A from the cells.  The Kelley
controller claims to be 800A, but is more likely 400A+.

I have heard that CALB are more likely to be 4C or 5C cells.  If the current
draw is important, that might be a deciding factor.  At 156V and 100Ah, that
might be important.  I'm at 144V and 100Ah and wishing sometimes I had a
little more current.  This is in a Honda del Sol that weighs 2550 pounds
after conversion.

I've never kept straight what is going on with ThunderSky / Winston / ????.

I have a feeling that very few people have used more than one type of cell
and can realistically compare them.

I haven't seen any mention of  a BMS.  Are you considering one?  Personally,
I consider them critical, but it is somewhat of a religious discussion.  I'm
using the MiniBMS and pretty happy with it.  My charger terminates the
charge by itself, but I have the MiniBMS and an AC relay as a backup in case
the charger doesn't turn off.

Mike
www.evalbum.com/2778