nissan leapfrogs in catch-up

This could truly be a game changer for Nissan. I wonder if they've fixed
their horrible battery degregation problems.
Peri

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/nissan-unveils-new-leaf-car-after-ghosns-arrest-delays-it/

The unveiling Wednesday at Nissan Motor Co.’s Yokohama headquarters, southwest of Tokyo, had been postponed when Ghosn was arrested Nov. 19.
The new 4.16 million yen ($38,000) Leaf e+ is about the same size as the model on sale, but gets more power and cruise range.
The Leaf e+ gets faster acceleration and has more torque than the older model and offers 40 percent more range at 458 kilometers (285 miles) per charge, as measured under Japanese regulations, compared with the old model’s 322 kilometers (200 miles).
It goes on sale in Japan later this month, and rolls out in the U.S. in spring 2019, and in Europe by mid-2019, Nissan said in a statement.

Re: nissan leapfrogs in catch-up

On 9 Jan 2019 at 16:00, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> I wonder if they've fixed their
> horrible battery degregation problems.

I don't have corroboration, but I recall reading that they're still relying
solely on forced air battery cooling.  The cell design may be different,
though.

On 1/9/19 10:00 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> This could truly be a game changer for Nissan. I wonder if they've fixed
> their horrible battery degregation problems.
> Peri
>
> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/nissan-unveils-new-leaf-car-after-ghosns-arrest-delays-it/
>

> The unveiling Wednesday at Nissan Motor Co.’s Yokohama headquarters,
> southwest of Tokyo, had been postponed when Ghosn was arrested Nov. 19.
> The new 4.16 million yen ($38,000) Leaf e+ is about the same size as the
> model on sale, but gets more power and cruise range.
> The Leaf e+ gets faster acceleration and has more torque than the older
> model and offers 40 percent more range at 458 kilometers (285 miles) per
> charge, as measured under Japanese regulations, compared with the old
> model’s 322 kilometers (200 miles).
> It goes on sale in Japan later this month, and rolls out in the U.S. in
> spring 2019, and in Europe by mid-2019, Nissan said in a statement.

Re: nissan leapfrogs in catch-up

On 1/9/19 10:00 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> This could truly be a game changer for Nissan. I wonder if they've fixed
> their horrible battery degregation problems.

As far as I'm concerned, Nissan has already missed the boat.  Botched a
golden opportunity.  Any improvement is almost certainly too little, too
late.  Alienated most/many of their early adopters.  Even if they did
fix the battery and supported the cars, most folks that are aware of the
Nissan performance would not consider one.  OTOH, people have mostly
forgotten what GM did to the NiMH battery.  I wonder how long it takes
for a car maker's unethical performance to "age out"?

Re: nissan leapfrogs in catch-up

No we haven't forgotten, but we can forgive.  I too was disappointed with
CARB dissing the EV-1 and Rav 4E for the idea of hydrogen powered cars but
I can understand where the shareholders might want them to sell more spark
plugs and servicing.  It is what it is.  I've moved on.  We need to focus
on what's ahead and what we can do about it.

My Bolt is a great car technologically and has a lot of range.  My range
anxiety has disappeared but replaced by planning and timing (e.g, will I
need to recharge along the way?  if so, where? and for how long?).  Driving
in "L" is wonderful.  Love the aggressive regen.  A search on "Chevy Bolt
Pack Fire" comes up with **no** hits.

I have a few complaints.  The seats are too narrow but I can fix that by
inserting a blanket between my back and the seat (or lose more weight).
The software is not that intuitive but I've gotten used to it.

The Bolt has been our "goto" car over any other car we have access to.  If
we had to go back and do it again, we'd buy a Bolt.