(ot) 5 Reasons Your Fuel Economy And EV Range Drop In Colder Weather

(ot) 5 Reasons Your Fuel Economy And EV Range Drop In Colder Weather

% In the past, this type of item was only ice focused. I found it notable
(of the changing-times) that electrified vehicles were included. %

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/3-reasons-your-fuel-economy-drops-colder-weather
5 Reasons Your Fuel Economy And EV Range Drop In Colder Weather
Nov 14 2017  John Goreham

[image
https://www.torquenews.com/sites/default/files/styles/news/public/images/garage_winter.jpg
Low temperatures mean lower MPG and range
]

As winter approaches your MPG may decline. Here's why and what you can do
about it.

"Winter is coming." We all know the mantra, but aside from the Game of
Thrones implications, there are real-world declines in fuel economy
associated with cold temperatures. Here is a quick list of the main reasons
why many drivers see a drop in miles per gallon as the temperature does.

Your Tires Are Underinflated
Your car's tires will see a decline in pressure as the temperature drops. In
the real world, you will see a decline of about 1 psi per 10 degrees F of
temperature drop. The air isn't leaking out, it is simply following the laws
of physics. PV=nRT is the formula any engineering student learns. And no,
using nitrogen instead of air (which is about 80% nitrogen anyway) won't do
a darn thing about it for two reasons. First of all, everything you read
about nitrogen for tires is baloney and a scientist named Boyle figured out
that all gases expand (or contract) at the same rate [
https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/boyle.html
] back before the internet. Add pressure to your tires when they are at
their coldest. The proper inflation pressure is on the door jam on the
driver's side. By the way, this increased rolling resistance and reduction
in efficiency strikes electric vehicles just as hard as internal combustion
engine (ICE) powered cars.

[ot] The Fuel You Use Changes
Your gasoline is not the same fluid in winter as it is in winter. If you
live where the temperature drops seasonally, your fuel suppliers will change
the composition of the fuel they supply. They do this for drivability and
also emissions reasons. There's not much you can do about this one. The EPA
says that winter grades have less energy per unit volume than summer blends
[
http://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what-is-the-difference-between-summer-and-winter-blend-gasoline/
].

Your Charging System Is Working Harder In Winter
Batteries are not fond of cold weather. They require more energy to stay
charged and that means your alternator is going to work harder and use more
fuel. Hybrids and electric vehicles also see the effects of temperature on
batteries.

Cold Air Has More Resistance
Highway driving is impacted by colder temperatures. Colder air is denser and
offers more aerodynamic resistance. This affects electric vehicles as much
as ICE vehicles.

Your Heating System Uses Energy
This reason for a decline in fuel economy is only relative to mild
temperatures. Using the heating fan, defrosters, and heated seats make your
car work a bit harder consuming more fuel. Not as much as running the AC
does, but more so than in spring and fall temperatures. Electric vehicles
are impacted more than ICE cars in this regard. Bundle up to save energy ...
[© torquenews.com]

https://www.google.com/search?q=winter+is+coming+game+of+thrones+quote
"Winter Is Coming" is the motto of House Stark, one of the Great Houses of
Westeros. The meaning behind these words is one of warning and constant
vigilance. The Starks, being the lords of the North, strive to always be
prepared for the coming of winter, which hits their lands the hardest ...

Re: (ot) 5 Reasons Your Fuel Economy And EV Range Drop In Colder Weather

That's because we've passed the tipping point.

Sent from my iPhone