(ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

In the past I have mentioned that I am spending time doing tasks and
research to relocate (to more affordable digs). I thank the people who have
helped advise me offline (especially Willie), so I can keep my head straight
and aimed toward achieving my goal. I have made decisions and actions (like
a commitment) toward that goal. If all goes well I will begin my trip on
Monday.

Not to go into all the details ... how this will impact my EVLN posts we
will have to see. Knowing my energy levels are not as high as when I was a
younger man, I am limiting my driving time before stopping for an over night
motel stay (this might be a rather painful week long trip for others, but
this trip will be at a slow enough pace so I do not over tax/load myself. I
plan to avoid large cities to minimize traffic jams, etc. (map)
https://goo.gl/maps/zBuMbT71Npr

There may be days when I do not post, or days where I post a couple of days
worth. I am hoping, my slower pace method (and motel WiFi) will allow me the
energy levels& connectivity  to make this transition seamless.

A lot of challenges await this old-man, but I am hoping for the best.

Re: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Bruce---my prayers & thanks will follow you on and in your journey to my
home state. Thank you for all the useful, encouraging,  & amusing
information you have made available all my EVERYTHING years.
Go at the pace which us '40's models have earned by our years on this
planet.  Go in peace & joy, EV-angel!
Michael B
On Dec 16, 2017 9:16 PM, "brucedp5 via EV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the past I have mentioned that I am spending time doing tasks and
> research to relocate (to more affordable digs). I thank the people who have
> helped advise me offline (especially Willie), so I can keep my head
> straight
> and aimed toward achieving my goal. I have made decisions and actions (like
> a commitment) toward that goal. If all goes well I will begin my trip on
> Monday.
>
> Not to go into all the details ... how this will impact my EVLN posts we
> will have to see. Knowing my energy levels are not as high as when I was a
> younger man, I am limiting my driving time before stopping for an over
> night
> motel stay (this might be a rather painful week long trip for others, but
> this trip will be at a slow enough pace so I do not over tax/load myself. I
> plan to avoid large cities to minimize traffic jams, etc. (map)
> https://goo.gl/maps/zBuMbT71Npr
>
> There may be days when I do not post, or days where I post a couple of days
> worth. I am hoping, my slower pace method (and motel WiFi) will allow me
> the
> energy levels& connectivity  to make this transition seamless.
>
> A lot of challenges await this old-man, but I am hoping for the best.
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
>  http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

> group/NEDRA)

Re: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Best of luck on your travels.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 16, 2017, at 9:09 PM, brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> In the past I have mentioned that I am spending time doing tasks and
> research to relocate (to more affordable digs). I thank the people who have
> helped advise me offline (especially Willie), so I can keep my head straight
> and aimed toward achieving my goal. I have made decisions and actions (like
> a commitment) toward that goal. If all goes well I will begin my trip on
> Monday.
>
> Not to go into all the details ... how this will impact my EVLN posts we
> will have to see. Knowing my energy levels are not as high as when I was a
> younger man, I am limiting my driving time before stopping for an over night
> motel stay (this might be a rather painful week long trip for others, but
> this trip will be at a slow enough pace so I do not over tax/load myself. I
> plan to avoid large cities to minimize traffic jams, etc. (map)
> https://goo.gl/maps/zBuMbT71Npr
>
> There may be days when I do not post, or days where I post a couple of days
> worth. I am hoping, my slower pace method (and motel WiFi) will allow me the
> energy levels& connectivity  to make this transition seamless.
>
> A lot of challenges await this old-man, but I am hoping for the best.
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
> http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Best of luck Bruce - take it easy on the drive, and don’t forget to stop and have some fun along the way.

Tom Keenan

On 12/16/2017 11:09 PM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
> plan to avoid large cities to minimize traffic jams, etc. (map)
> https://goo.gl/maps/zBuMbT71Npr

Do you plan to hit the EV museum in Kingman?  Worth the effort, IMHO.
An interesting segment of Route 66 is between Needles and Kingman; goes
through the little tourist town of Oatman and then over the Sitgreaves Pass.

Also, you should take a look at Ira Yates' charging station in Iraan.
Ira has been a longish term Austin EV proponent.  At least since he
bought one of the early Tesla Roadsters.

Good luck!

(ot trip): EVLN EV newswire status ...

The evdl as not heard from me in a couple days, so I posted some responses to
let you all know was still kicking.

(trip Silicon Valley>Los Banos>Bakersfield> ... )
On 20171218 in the afternoon, I took Hwy152 east toward CA's central valley.
I stopped by Casa de Fruta to find a Superstation going in behind the Casa
de Chevron (ice station) and took an image
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/253179.jpg

After several ice trials and tribulations (I won't get into> definitely ot),
tonight I have the (Bakersfield) motel wifi connectivity to create a listing
on plugshare for that 'soon to be online' superEVSE
https://www.plugshare.com/location/138590

The worker at the nearby Roady's Casa De Diesel (truck stop)
https://roadys.com/location_details.php?id=19
(their page has lat-long coordinates)
 said the Tesla inspector was to come on that day. So the inspection
(red-tape) process is making progress slow to get it turned on.

Hopefully no more issues (of any kind), and tomorrow I will arrive& stay the
night in Needles,CA :-)

changes: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Open each of the summarizing items with links items I posted.
I put direct links to non- EVLN news items on there. That makes two main
posts and a summary instead of five posts to your intray (less brucedp
stuffing your intray).

trip
Before leaving Needles, CA  stopped at this Shell station which had 4
superchargers
https://www.plugshare.com/location/60156

[images
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/253743.jpg
view of all 4 superEVSE

https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/253744.jpg
In-line back view

https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/253745.jpg
ice station worker proudly wearing his Shell jacket& hat pointing to one of
their superchargers
]

The Porsche-ice driving station owner has a realty biz, as well as this
combination Shell gas station, with Subway sandwiches, Dairy-Queen& Tesla
superchargers.

SuperEVSE @rudysbbq.com (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Very different driving once I left CA. Over hundreds of highway miles, speed
limits kept going up and up, while the qualty of the I-10 & I-8 road
surfaces kept going down (mainly from heavy semi-truck use, & the amount of
repair funding).

To keep from being run off the road, I stuck with the speed limit in the
right lane. But it is a little tough trying to be a high-mpg,
less-polluting, ice-driver when 85mph is the (TX) speed limit. At those
speeds, the (brutal) rough roads are really hard on my front end (I made
need to see Willie's ice mechanic about work on my front end, wheels, tires,
+more).

When passing through El Paso, TX, I stopped at the (northern) Rudy's BBQ and
was surprised to find they have superEVSE, see the image I took
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/254390.jpg

https://www.plugshare.com/location/115128
A Rudy's BBQ store rep said the superEVSE have brought in a-lot-of (mucho)
(eco-tourism) business for them. They liked that and the prestige of having
those chargers on-site
https://rudysbbq.com/locations/all

This trip has been hundreds of miles of nothing as far as one can see. Which
make me more appreciative of-what the pioneer cover wagon drivers had to
endure/go-though.

Yesterday night, Deming, NM was 28f (below freezing). This early Van Horn
(west) TX morning it is 29f. Today, I will be heading to stay the night at
Junction, TX which is currently at 26f ... enjoy.

Re: SuperEVSE @rudysbbq.com (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

On 12/25/2017 06:20 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Very different driving once I left CA. Over hundreds of highway miles, speed
> limits kept going up and up, while the qualty of the I-10 & I-8 road
> surfaces kept going down (mainly from heavy semi-truck use, & the amount of
> repair funding).

I haven't recently been on IH10 west of ElPaso but I believe you will
find highways in Texas to be in generally good condition.  Stay off of
IH35 between San Antonio and DFW.

The IH40 route is very nice driving and scenic.  However, it can be a
challenge in the winter.  IH10 is much lower.

> To keep from being run off the road, I stuck with the speed limit in the
> right lane. But it is a little tough trying to be a high-mpg,
> less-polluting, ice-driver when 85mph is the (TX) speed limit. At those
> speeds, the (brutal) rough roads are really hard on my front end (I made
> need to see Willie's ice mechanic about work on my front end, wheels, tires,
> +more).

I'm testing my new 300 mile AP2 (auto pilot, version 2) car.  "Normally"
a trip from my home near Austin to Amarillo requires at least two
charging stops.  Yesterday, I charged only at Sweetwater.  Two legs of
nearly 300 miles each!  I did not see heavy truck traffic until I hit
IH40 at Amarillo.  South of Amarillo, there was not enough truck traffic
to make drafting worth the effort.  With heavy truck traffic on IH40, I
adopted the strategy of: setting cruise to about 5 mph below my target
speed until I was passed by a truck going about the target speed.  Then,
pulling in behind and setting cruise to 5-10 mph above target.  Then,
the car would just follow the truck with very little driver
intervention.  "Lane keeping" makes things even easier.  I think we are
near the point where one can travel interstates while napping or
reading.  I've had no problem with pressure to go faster than I desired.
  In my experience, there is a lot of truck traffic going 5-10 mph below
the speed limit.  Especially for a trucker, travel speed is a trade off
between money (time spent) and money (fuel cost).  Contrary to most ICE
drivers, most truck drivers realize the terrible efficiency penalty of
speed.  Depending on SuperCharger spacing, my target speed may be as low
as 60 mph.>
> When passing through El Paso, TX, I stopped at the (northern) Rudy's BBQ and
> was surprised to find they have superEVSE, see the image I took
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/254390.jpg

Earlier this year, I took some photos of that SuperCharger under
construction.  Now, the western IH10 SuperCharger chain is complete, at
least for 300 mile cars, except for Van Horn to Ozona (Ft Stockton has
some construction glitch).  That gap is bridgeable using a 70 amp charge
station in Iraan.

> https://www.plugshare.com/location/115128
> A Rudy's BBQ store rep said the superEVSE have brought in a-lot-of (mucho)
> (eco-tourism) business for them. They liked that and the prestige of having
> those chargers on-site
> https://rudysbbq.com/locations/all

I'm pleased that they feel that way.  I have noticed little host
enthusiasm for SuperChargers in my travels.  Collin Street Bakery hosts
at least three and they do offer some Tesla driver perks though.  They
have sold me a lot of fruit cakes that they would not otherwise have sold.

> This trip has been hundreds of miles of nothing as far as one can see. Which
> make me more appreciative of-what the pioneer cover wagon drivers had to
> endure/go-though.

Driving through desolate west Texas is one of life's great pleasures for
me.  I relish such trips.

You failed to mention west Texas wind.  The past few years, we've had
nothing short of a revolution with wind power from west Texas.  Wind
generators and construction all over the area. Now, they have the
infrastructure required to get the power to the demand.  That sets the
stage for PV development since PV has supply mid-day and wind is mostly
not mid-day.  We will see MUCH more west Texas PV in coming years since
the infrastructure to transport the power is in place due to the wind.

~10-15 years ago, it was forecast that the grid could handle no more
than about 5% of total power from renewables.  A year or two ago, we had
periods of 15% wind production in Texas; it was handled gracefully.  I
think we are well on our way to 50%!

> Yesterday night, Deming, NM was 28f (below freezing). This early Van Horn
> (west) TX morning it is 29f. Today, I will be heading to stay the night at
> Junction, TX which is currently at 26f ... enjoy.

I both envy and pity you having all that "waste" ICE energy to keep your
cabin warm!  I have my first heated seats car; that goes a long way to
reducing cabin heating needs.  Generally, no need for cabin heat if the
sun is out.

Re: "You Betcha!" (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

EVLN news status: the EV news items all but have dried up/reduced to a
trickle during the holidays. That Musk piece sums up how despondent the
media is right now about plugins. Which is great for the ton of h2 items
(still pushing fcvs).

My status: stable (I have lodging) but worrisome (I'm not legal) ...

It seems the two different TX gov. offices that handle TX driver's lic &
vehicle regstration need more paperwork to prove I am a US citizen and
worthy of a TX lic. The dated 2013 link below is similar to my current
experiences:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/opinion/2013/05/13/easy-on-regulation-not-in-texas-drivers-license-bureaus
May 13, 2013  ... This state (TX) makes things so hard, it almost feels as
if they don’t want me to have a Texas driver's license. Which doesn’t make
any sense. After all, it’s in everybody’s best interest for me to be "on the
books." ... It's ignorance masquerading as get-tough policy ...

I have to make a few calls to see if I can get what is needed from CA
remotely (USPS mailed to a $65 UPS mailing address I bought). I also want to
try to get an unofficial vehicle inspection so I know how much it will cost
for what I am sure they will find that does not allow it to pass.

My options are:
-to keep slugging it out, and hopefully I can get these issues resolved
before my ability to legally drive on the road expires ...

-scrap out my drive-able CA vehicle and buy a pre-inspected TX registered
used vehicle ...

-or go back to CA, likely residing near the Fresno VA hospital, so I can be
legal and get things resolved/figured out.

The last one seems a shame, as I like where I am (friendly people,
affordable living, slower AG-rural pace, +more). But if TX sez no, then I
got to go (return).

I thought I had done all my homework to prepare for this, but the items I
need were not mentioned on their TX dmv website (maybe I had a senior moment
and missed something?). And even at the vehicle registration office they
mentioned somethings I need to have/get done for the driver's lic, that the
TX dmv office did not mention (both of them are state run gov. agencies).
Yuup it is a challenge, alright.

It is all rather disappointing,depressing to think I am not alone in how
hard this is to become a legal Texan.

I'll try to end this on a (hopefully) humorous note.
As I was approaching El Paso, TX, I-10 slowed and narrowed for a homeland
security inspection. I rolled down my driver's side window, as the
Latino-american officer walked up & glanced at my front ca lic plate. With a
confused expression, I asked, I'm still in Texas aren't I?
He said, yes ... Then he asked me if I was a U.S. citizen(?)
I showed him my ca driver's license, and said, "You Betcha!"
He smirk-grinned looking at me a little longer, and then said you can go,
waving me off ...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/you-betcha
you-betcha

Re: "You Betcha!" (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Bruce,

What an awful situation. I hope you won't give up after all the planning
and expense you have gone to this far. There must be an organization
that can help you with this. Wouldn't the VA have paperwork that would
show your citizenship? What about a new SS card from:
https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/#issnrc
Looks like you have 30 days for the car license, 90 days for the
driver's license, some time to work on it.
https://www.dmv.com/tx/texas/drivers-license

As good at searching as you are I expect you have already found all of
this but possibly you have been too busy with all the hassle.

Good luck.
Gail

On 12/28/2017 7:03 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> My status: stable (I have lodging) but worrisome (I'm not legal) ...
>
> It seems the two different TX gov. offices that handle TX driver's lic &
> vehicle regstration need more paperwork to prove I am a US citizen and
> worthy of a TX lic. The dated 2013 link below is similar to my current
> experiences:
>

> I have to make a few calls to see if I can get what is needed from CA
> remotely (USPS mailed to a $65 UPS mailing address I bought). I also want to
> try to get an unofficial vehicle inspection so I know how much it will cost
> for what I am sure they will find that does not allow it to pass.
>
> My options are:
> -to keep slugging it out, and hopefully I can get these issues resolved
> before my ability to legally drive on the road expires ...
>
> -scrap out my drive-able CA vehicle and buy a pre-inspected TX registered
> used vehicle ...
>
> -or go back to CA, likely residing near the Fresno VA hospital, so I can be
> legal and get things resolved/figured out.
>

> The last one seems a shame, as I like where I am (friendly people,
> affordable living, slower AG-rural pace, +more). But if TX sez no, then I
> got to go (return).
>
> I thought I had done all my homework to prepare for this, but the items I
> need were not mentioned on their TX dmv website (maybe I had a senior moment
> and missed something?). And even at the vehicle registration office they
> mentioned somethings I need to have/get done for the driver's lic, that the
> TX dmv office did not mention (both of them are state run gov. agencies).
> Yuup it is a challenge, alright.
>
> It is all rather disappointing,depressing to think I am not alone in how
> hard this is to become a legal Texan.

Returning x2: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

EVLN news status: the EV news items for a short while began again. But
slowed down today. Let's hope they pick up again. See below* as there will
be delays again in EVLN newswire posts ...

(ot) My status: stable (I have lodging) but I'm still not legal ...
Completed/achieved: a permanent address let me switch my car insurance to
state it is for TX (which is one of the requirements of getting a TX
driver's license).

I sent away for an official copy of my birth certificate, being sent to a
(UPS store) mailing address I bought.

A second call to CA dmv gave a different reason I still do not have what I
need to make TX vehicle registration dept. happy (TX registration & licenses
are separate groups/bldgs). So, CA dmv ('s screwups) has me in limbo.

The easiest approach is to let this (CA dmv messed up) vehicle go (find a
new owner for this vehicle and walk away from it. After so much ... it seems
like a shame, but I need to get on with my life and not be
delayed/jerked-around by CA dmv red tape).
*This means in a few days, I will have to drive this vehicle (2000+mi) back
to CA to get this resolved.

I have had a lot of helpful information given to me by the friendly local
folk. An Uhaul rep that came from CA said, 'Yup CA dmv does screw up so that
is not so strange'. He had to get rid of a good car back in CA by abandoning
it (I am going to try to be as legal as possible). That last dmv call said
my name shows up as the pending owner as soon as a special dmv dept checks.
Until then (legally) the guy I bought it from is still the owner (what a
limbo-land mess!).

Tomorrow, I hope to finish emptying out the vehicle of all my stuff into
local TX storage, and then spend some time looking around at used (legal) TX
vehicles to know what I will buy when I return.

Once back in CA and before I lose the (albatrose) vehicle, I will see about
getting an official copy of my birth certificate, if it has not arrived at
the TX mail service.
When vehicle-less, I will fly back, rent a car, then start looking for a TX
registered (legal) used vehicle, and get on with my life.

As you can read, I have a lot of chores to complete (it is not easy to
become a Texan). But I hope to have better wifi access luck with the
different motels I stay at on the way back, so I can still post/shoot a few
EVLN items out, while I continue to live out of a suitcase.

Re: Returning x2: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

On 01/04/2018 03:11 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> EVLN news status: the EV news items for a short while began again. But
> slowed down today. Let's hope they pick up again. See below* as there will
> be delays again in EVLN newswire posts ...
>

> (ot) My status: stable (I have lodging) but I'm still not legal ...
> Completed/achieved: a permanent address let me switch my car insurance to
> state it is for TX (which is one of the requirements of getting a TX
> driver's license).
>
> I sent away for an official copy of my birth certificate, being sent to a
> (UPS store) mailing address I bought.
>
> A second call to CA dmv gave a different reason I still do not have what I
> need to make TX vehicle registration dept. happy (TX registration & licenses
> are separate groups/bldgs). So, CA dmv ('s screwups) has me in limbo.
>
> The easiest approach is to let this (CA dmv messed up) vehicle go (find a
> new owner for this vehicle and walk away from it. After so much ... it seems
> like a shame, but I need to get on with my life and not be
> delayed/jerked-around by CA dmv red tape).
> *This means in a few days, I will have to drive this vehicle (2000+mi) back
> to CA to get this resolved.
>
> I have had a lot of helpful information given to me by the friendly local
> folk. An Uhaul rep that came from CA said, 'Yup CA dmv does screw up so that
> is not so strange'. He had to get rid of a good car back in CA by abandoning
> it (I am going to try to be as legal as possible). That last dmv call said
> my name shows up as the pending owner as soon as a special dmv dept checks.
> Until then (legally) the guy I bought it from is still the owner (what a
> limbo-land mess!).
>
> Tomorrow, I hope to finish emptying out the vehicle of all my stuff into
> local TX storage, and then spend some time looking around at used (legal) TX
> vehicles to know what I will buy when I return.
>
> Once back in CA and before I lose the (albatrose) vehicle, I will see about
> getting an official copy of my birth certificate, if it has not arrived at
> the TX mail service.
> When vehicle-less, I will fly back, rent a car, then start looking for a TX
> registered (legal) used vehicle, and get on with my life.
>
> As you can read, I have a lot of chores to complete (it is not easy to
> become a Texan). But I hope to have better wifi access luck with the
> different motels I stay at on the way back, so I can still post/shoot a few
> EVLN items out, while I continue to live out of a suitcase.

I'm astonished you are having so much trouble since it seems hundreds of
Californians move to Texas each day (and probably vice versa).  I gather
that the root of the problem is that you tried to import your newly
purchased car before it's California ownership had completely "settled"?

I'm just returning from a short trip to southern California and have had
my preconceived notions entirely reinforced.

I intended to comment earlier on your Texas inspection questions but
didn't get around to it.  As you probably know by now, there is a one
time import inspection that is very quick simple and easy; it just
confirms that your vehicle matches your title.  Cost is low to nothing
but not performed by common "safety" inspection stations (AFAIK).  Maybe
one designated place per county.  The "Safety" inspection has to be
performed annually (or maybe it is once every two years now) on each car
registered in the state.  That includes emissions tests in the counties
that require.  Probably not in Belton/Temple.

On your car disposal problem (if you decide you can not get clear
California title while the car is in Texas):  Salvage yards are required
to get titles with the junk cars but many will take title less vehicles.
  They will pay if with title but not if without.  They MAY be willing
to accept your California title.  A car is worth around $200 for "crush"
value.

I have ~10 old dead cars sitting around; you are welcome to add yours to
my collection.  While being stored, you can try to straighten out the
title or you can work on parting it out.  Offer a "pull your own part"
deal on CraigsList.

Depending on the value of the car, it may not be worth the pain of a
road round trip to California to resolve a title problem.

A Texas used car dealer might be willing to buy the car and know how to
deal with the title problem.  Of course that would reduce the value.  A
used car dealer might be more willing to deal with it if you offered it
as trade in.  The whole car might be sold on CL as a "parts" car.

There are Texas businesses that specialize in title solutions.  As I
recall, I hired one to provide a "bonded" title on the Hyundai that came
out of one of the Carolinas as a new car.  Right now, I can not be more
specific.  As I recall, a couple of hundred dollars made that title
problem go away and I now have a regular Texas title on it.  As I
recall, the business I used catered mainly to used car dealers.

Good luck!  Let me know if I can help.

Re: Returning x2: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

On 01/04/2018 03:11 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:
> (ot) My status: stable (I have lodging) but I'm still not legal ...
> A second call to CA dmv gave a different reason I still do not have
> what I need to make TX vehicle registration dept. happy

Hi Bruce,

It's not just CA. I'm having much the same problem getting a car titled
in MN that I bought in MA. 9 months and still counting! Each state
points the finger at the other.

But, hang in there. You are in the right, so stick to it, and it will
eventually get sorted out. You know what they say about government and
excrement: "This too shall pass."

Meanwhile, best wishes in your new home. Wishing you a happy and healthy
new year. And thanks for ALL your EVangel hard work and news postings!

--
Whether we or our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all
our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory,

Re: Returning x2: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Bruce,
Why all the haste to get a TX title while DMVs are notorious for taking
~6 weeks to even open their mail?
One of my (former) colleagues worked for our company in GA but then was
asked to come work at HQ
in CA, so he drove his GA car to CA and it was more than a year later
before he had his first comment that
he should move the title over to CA if he (continued) to work here.
He did have problems with unpaid tickets in GA, but never with his
driving a GA plated car in CA
for more than a year.
I presume that in 1 or 2 months, the CA DMV has finally worked though
their backlog and settled you as owner
of your car and then you should have no issue to get it moved to TX.

BTW, this may not be entirely legal as it is often required by (local)
law to get your title updated within weeks
when you move permently or start working in a new state, but how can you
even keep that law if the DMV
that you depend on to be able to register, does not process their
paperwork within a month or two?
Local enforcement also knows this problem and that is probably why there
is little enforcement that I know of
for immediately getting local plates. You do what you can, but you can
only do what others allow you if they
are the ones you depend on for the action you need to take.
Just a thought to wait a little for this to get settled and proudly
drive your CA car till you are official owner.
Cor.

Re: Returning x2: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

This is somewhat off topic (especially since Bruce is licensing an ICEV),
but it does pertain to people who move with their EVs.

It may be different today -- lots of government functionaries have become
way more legalistic -- but I lived in another state for over 3 years back in
the 1990s, and never re-titled or licensed any of my vehicles there.  When I
had to renew the licenses, I just drove back to my "home" state (abouit an 8
hour drive).  No one ever gave me any trouble, even when I got rear-ended
and had to deal with police reports and insurance.

Similarly, a friend of mine moved from another state to this one.  He lived
here for the last 30+ years of his life (he died in 2009).  He never got a
drivers' license here, nor did he ever transfer the titles or licenses to
his cars.  No problems.

On 01/04/2018 12:40 PM, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:
> Bruce,
> Why all the haste to get a TX title while DMVs are notorious for taking
> ~6 weeks to even open their mail?
> One of my (former) colleagues worked for our company in GA but then was

> Just a thought to wait a little for this to get settled and proudly
> drive your CA car till you are official owner.

I agree with Cor that Bruce will likely encounter no trouble driving his
California registered car in Texas.  At least as long as the car is
legal in California and likely long after the car is illegal in California.

Re: Returning x2: (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

As our sysop, David, said this thread is ot because I am not driving an EV at
this time (true). But hopefully (as he said) it will have detail useful for
those that are.

I appreciate all your opinions, and later I may want to take Willie up on
his generous offer (thank you) to have my vehicle be the 11th parked on his
property.

-
Willie wrote:
I agree with Cor that Bruce will likely encounter no trouble driving his
California registered car in Texas. At least as long as the car is legal in
California and likely long after the car is illegal in California.
-

And there lies the rub [
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Therein+lies+the+rub ]
(and perhaps more information to help clarify ...)

On 20171102, when I turned in to the CA dmv the owner's title (signed over
to me), vehicle paperwork, and paid my ($$$) dmv fees at a local CA dmv
office, the dmv rep said at the end of our business, I was now legal, paid
up in full, I should expect a title with my name on it in the postal mail in
a couple weeks, and with the large red paper they gave me to place on my
windshield, the NOV (expired) rear license-plate-sticker did not matter
(because the large red dmv paper gave me permission to drive on CA roads
until 20180101).

The TX vehicle registration rep said I need the title (I would not be legal
until I showed her the title in MY name).
She did said I could get three, 6 month extensions allowing me to drive the
vehicle on TX roads, but that was it (after those, no more).

So, while it seems like I am impatient, in a sense, I have a time-limit
gun-to-my head. My ability to drive on CA roads expires at the end of this
month. (Worse case) If as posted it may take year(s) for this to work its
way through the CA dmv for me to get the title ...
(meanwhile the vehicle parked at Willie's farm, has tall prairie grass
growing around it, rusting with a hard to replace dead battery (a huge strut
is in the way), is sitting, sitting, sitting there, adding to the nesting
sites of field mice.

In that scenario, even when I did get the title, about all I could do with
the vehicle is have it towed away for scrap (which is what I plan to do when
I go to CA).

It as been two months since the dmv rep gave me her blessing. So, I have a
vote of no-confidence in the CA dmv, I believe that they are inept, and that
I will likely never receive the title. So, yes I am (ticking-expiration
date) anxious to get out from under this situation before I am not legally
allowed to drive the vehicle on the road of any state.

(tasks)
Pacing the amount of physical  exercise so as to not stress my CHF heart
condition, today was my second day emptying out the vehicle, placing my
stuff in storage (task accomplished, I immediately went back to where I am
staying and took a nap to recover).

BTW, while I was signing my life away to pay for arranging to have that
storage space, their rep came from SoCal (Temecula , the Inland Empire is
near to Los Angeles, CA area) said, 'that is odd, I did not have any
problems transferring to TX' (like what Willie said). Further discussion
revealed that her company had a dept. to make the transition transparent.
That explains a lot. I know about those 'company travel dept's'. It is their
job to know all the ins and outs to make it easy on company employees (I
used similar travel dept's when I was a hp CE for 25 years).

But doing a transition on your own (despite all the research homework I
thought I had done), you run into requirements that impede, and slow that
transition process down to maybe not happening if you do not resolve those
issues ... (life can be tough).

(Itinerary)
For the next four days before I leave TX for another week+ trek back to CA,
I will be familiarizing myself with the used car dealers in this TX local
area. My choice of vehicle type may be different this time. In this part of
TX, the pick-up truck is king. My current needs are simple. I likely won't
be driving more th 7 mils per week to buy groceries (same as before). Plus I
hope to make the annual 2hour each way trek south to San Antonio's NDEW
EVent.

For my future needs, the VA may be providing me with a e-mobility cart (my
hips are wearing out). So, the used TX inspected and registered vehicle I
buy will need to be able to transport/carry one of those pEVs. A truck, or
van would likely be what I should get to be ready for that future need, see:

https://www.universal-accessibility.com/cache/1247162330000/resources/product/339/picture.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qYPgzBZLaSM/hqdefault.jpg

https://www.mobilityworks.com/images_vans/ford_transitconnect.jpg

https://www.4-medical-supplies.com/cache/1463071386000https://www.4-medical-supplies.com/cache/1247164183000/resources/product/527/picture.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pQXsnpkY4Qs/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.blvd.com/wheelchair-vans-dir/ocean/1488901441one.jpg

ca dmv trip (ot): EVLN EV newswire status ...

Evln status: the EV news wires began to increase. Not a lot but better.

(ot) my status: I have good news: making two 2hr calls, listening to
muzakfor 4hrs, I finally got through to a live person who said my title went
through, was postal mailed to me with new lic plate registration stickers
(yay!).

I headed out to my mailbox before hitting the hwy south, and found I had
received my birth certificate (another yay!).
But I continued on the 4hr a day driving trek toward the nearest ca DMV
office (I don't have to go all the way to silicon valley), to get a print
out of proof I own/it is registering to me (as Willie,cor,and others said I
can just wait for the title to come in the mail). Meanwhile that print out
proof removes the time gun-to-my-head limit. I can show any county mounty
the printout that I am legal.

But as you can see, I am sending this differently. My rca cambio win 10 did
not wake up from being put I sleep mode.I am using my Android 5.2 phone
stylus to peck this post out. I lost several days of items to post, and it
likely will be while before I get my mojo/groove back.
Please bare with the delay ...