range extension dreams

Willie2
I recently put a trailer hitch receiver on my Hyundai so I could carry
around bicycles.  Having the receiver in place prompted me to add a
trailer ball and finally buy a small 2000 lb Harbor Freight trailer.
I've been using that trailer to extend the usefulness of the Hyundai.
I estimate my ~150 mile range is reduced to 110-120 miles with a
loaded trailer.

Thinking always eventually gets me into trouble.  But, here goes:
The Hyundai has 48 x TS LFP260s.  48-50 TS LFP300s should weigh not
much more than 1000 pounds and fit on the 4' x 8' trailer bed.  My
experience with miniBMS/EVPower indicates that the BMS could easily be
extended to the trailer pack and that the trailer pack could easily be
charged as well as discharged with the car pack.  So, just hook the
trailer pack to the car with some simple connections and I'm ready for
a long trip.  How long a trip?  Something over 200 miles, maybe 250.
Is it worth all the trouble, expense, and braking risk?  Probably not.
Comments welcome.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995

Re: range extension dreams

Cruisin
The answer is NO, NO & NO
The additional Battery pack would have to be isolated from the existing due to different charging and discharging rates of the different brands. Would work if all cells were the same.

Re: range extension dreams

Voltswagon
This post was updated on .
A JLD404 or programmable voltmeter could easily handle any charge differences if there are any.

I charge/discharge my lithium pack in parallel with my floodies...the lithium's just isolated during the gas cycle.

I think it would be fun to move my lead (900 lbs good for 30 miles) to a trailer covered in solar panels and just run around with 120 lbs of lithium, and hook up the trailer when I need more than 15 miles of range.

Impractical and expensive, but it's hard to shake the thought.

Re: range extension dreams

On 27 Nov 2012 at 7:46, Willie McKemie wrote:

> Is it worth all the trouble, expense, and braking risk?

Maybe ...

I'm BCCing Olaf Bleck on this, since he's one of our SJSU list subscribers
who haven't yet made the switch to the new list and otherwise wouldn't get
this message.  He might want to comment, since his Team New England's
Solectria Force ran in the Tour de Sol with a battery trailer.

From what I can tell, they ran for 3 years (1999-2002) and IIRC the car won
the range competition at least once.   I seem to recall some controversy
over where it fit into the rules because of the trailer, but I might be
thinking of someone else.

It's a clever trailer, and it got a lot of comment.  Something like this
would probably be more aerodynamic than the one you're considering, which
would help with the range.

Check it out in this pic, which IIRC I grabbed from the Tour de Sol reports
that Michael Bianchi used to post on the web.

http://imagebin.org/237349

or

http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=16957063

(Please note, uploadhouse does NOT prohibit NSFW pictures, so be aware,
should you consider going exploring there.)

Re: range extension dreams

EVDL Administrator
On 27 Nov 2012 at 12:23, EVDL Administrator wrote:

> From what I can tell, they ran for 3 years (1999-2002)

Sorry, I wasn't clear on this (and I'm not sure I am yet).  They ran the
Super Force with the range trailer in the Tour de Sol in 2000 and 2001,
taking 3rd place battery and 1st place overall respectively.  The TdS
archives still left on the web also suggest that they ran the car in 1999
and 2002.  So - between 2 and 4 years, maybe 3.  Sorry for my confusion.

Re: range extension dreams

Dennis Miles
Those turtle sandboxes from "Little-Tykes" brand are still available at
many stores. make a cool trailer body!

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 27 Nov 2012 at 7:46, Willie McKemie wrote:
>
> > Is it worth all the trouble, expense, and braking risk?
>
> Maybe ...
>
> I'm BCCing Olaf Bleck on this, since he's one of our SJSU list subscribers
> who haven't yet made the switch to the new list and otherwise wouldn't get
> this message.  He might want to comment, since his Team New England's
> Solectria Force ran in the Tour de Sol with a battery trailer.
>
> From what I can tell, they ran for 3 years (1999-2002) and IIRC the car won
> the range competition at least once.   I seem to recall some controversy
> over where it fit into the rules because of the trailer, but I might be
> thinking of someone else.
>
> It's a clever trailer, and it got a lot of comment.  Something like this
> would probably be more aerodynamic than the one you're considering, which
> would help with the range.
>
> Check it out in this pic, which IIRC I grabbed from the Tour de Sol reports
> that Michael Bianchi used to post on the web.
>
> http://imagebin.org/237349
>
> or
>
> http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=16957063
>
> (Please note, uploadhouse does NOT prohibit NSFW pictures, so be aware,
> should you consider going exploring there.)
>
> David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
> EVDL Administrator

*     Dennis *(EVprofessor)* Miles*
  *(863)944-9913* (phone noon to midnight E.S.T.)
*    reply to [hidden email]*

Re: range extension dreams

Dennis Miles
Regarding the braking on the range extension braking system. The trailer people are well equipped to pull heavy loads behind their vehicle safely, even 70 years ago trailers had electric brakes but then the driver had to operate the brake with a manual handle. in the 60's automatic activators became popular and now they are very popular and only require the electrical connection to the brake lights. when driving to slow down you touch the brake pedal and the control applies electric power to the trailer brakes starting lightly and increasing with time lift the pedal and the cycle repeats. The only connection is to 12 v power and the brake lights. it is not difficult to implement. (If needed replacement axles are available with electric brakes) There is a lot of expertise on this list and I offer my opinions freely as do others. In the four years I have been following it I have learned a lot of useful things. When I can, I mention those things I learned at "Hard Knocks University" where I am still enrolled in the "Lifelong Training Program."  If I were building a range extending trailer full of batteries I would look at the "Teardrop" trailers for inspiration, keep the top below trunk lid height for rear visibility, mount a flag at each rear corner to identify the trailer'f track when backing and make the hitch section of the trailer over half the width of the car in length so I can't damage the trailer  by jack-knifing. The trailer dimension from hitch to center of axle should be the same as the wheel-base of the car. That is the sweet spot for trailer maneuvering. Good Luck !

Re: range extension dreams

rayfellow
Can I jus get a daily report, rather than every posting?  Thanks

Rayfellow

On Dec 1, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Dennis Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Regarding the braking on the range extension braking system. The trailer
> people are well equipped to pull heavy loads behind their vehicle safely,
> even 70 years ago trailers had electric brakes but then the driver had to
> operate the brake with a manual handle. in the 60's automatic activators
> became popular and now they are very popular and only require the electrical
> connection to the brake lights. when driving to slow down you touch the
> brake pedal and the control applies electric power to the trailer brakes
> starting lightly and increasing with time lift the pedal and the cycle
> repeats. The only connection is to 12 v power and the brake lights. it is
> not difficult to implement. (If needed replacement axles are available with
> electric brakes) There is a lot of expertise on this list and I offer my
> opinions freely as do others. In the four years I have been following it I
> have learned a lot of useful things. When I can, I mention those things I
> learned at "Hard Knocks University" where I am still enrolled in the
> "Lifelong Training Program."  If I were building a range extending trailer
> full of batteries I would look at the "Teardrop" trailers for inspiration,
> keep the top below trunk lid height for rear visibility, mount a flag at
> each rear corner to identify the trailer'f track when backing and make the
> hitch section of the trailer over half the width of the car in length so I
> can't damage the trailer  by jack-knifing. The trailer dimension from hitch
> to center of axle should be the same as the wheel-base of the car. That is
> the sweet spot for trailer maneuvering. Good Luck !

Re: range extension dreams

Paul Wujek-2

On 12-12-01 11:41 PM, David Strong wrote:
> Can I jus get a daily report, rather than every posting?  Thanks
>
> Rayfellow
Go to: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html

Read *How to set Digest Mode*.

--