?seeking EVSE-share experiences & advice

?seeking EVSE-share experiences & advice

% Bottom-line/summary: I request feedback of experiences of sharing their
home EVSE.

Personal-status: I'm at the point where I am looking at buying a house in
the San Antonio (sa) area near the va hospital (this was the reason for the
move to Texas).

Willie has heard me talk of some of my (nutty-wackadoodle) ideas, so if he
is rolling his eyes right now, he's justified. So I ask, is the following
idea just another one of brucedp's wild-eyed pipe-dreams (w/o the pipe), or
could it actually happen/work (benefiting many, & I might just break even
after decade).

Almost everyone's house has lots of front lawn space here in TX ... Instead,
I thought I'd put cement parking in (cement does not need to be mowed). But
this leads to the next thought of utilizing that space.

Since there will be parking for a several cars,
Watt-If these parking spaces in my front yard,
 were EV-only with EVSE? (I told you it was a wild-idea) ...

Being a charging nut, I used the free EVSE look-up tool plugshare.com , I
found there are VW-dieselgate $M funded electrify-america public L3-50kW
EVSE @a-few walmart stores
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Walmart-Electric-Highway-tp4691970p4691973.html

These (below) are not online yet (under construction), but will have
multiple dual head (CHAdeMO &ccs) L3-50kW EVSE
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugshare.production.photos/photos/119250.jpg
 cost: $1 session+ $0.30/minute. i.e. a used 22kWh Leaf pushing  ~16kW over
a 20minute period would cost ($1+ 20*$0.30= ) $7. after 10minutes, there is
a $0.40/min idling fee as an incentive to leave. MC and Visa accepted:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/169448
walmart (northern) sa

https://www.plugshare.com/location/169604
walmart houston

https://www.plugshare.com/location/70717
walmart austin

https://www.plugshare.com/location/168277
walmart waco

https://www.plugshare.com/location/174438
sam's  dfw

https://www.plugshare.com/location/169417
walmart sweetwater

https://www.plugshare.com/location/171867
walmart midland

https://www.plugshare.com/location/169419
walmart ft stockton

A L3-50kW EVSE would be 1/3 the cost of buying a house. So, I'll back off on
fantasizing having any L3-50kW EVSE in my front yard, and focus on L2 (3, 6,
maybe 22kW).

Using plugshare.com again but searching for j1772, there are only a couple
available near the va hospital:

https://www.plugshare.com/location/5766
nearby L2

The VA hospital is fed government, who (at this time) are not interested in
providing EVSE for Vets or the hospital workers to use. So, if I could make
my home EVSE parking spaces available (for break even fee), I could help
EV-only driving Vets and va  hospital workers.

A few blocks away, there are 2 large apt complexes which  plugshare.com
does not show as offering EVSE to their residents. If I still had available
spaces at night the VA Dr's Tesla's aren't using, I could offer them to
those apt. residents for an overnight use fee.

I made contact with my local sa utility, who seem interested in my offering
EVSE
https://www.cpsenergy.com/ev

Obviously, there will be a lot of up front costs, I would have to begin
small, recouping expenditures over time (depreciated assets) ...
 and the whole thing may not happen at all if I run into red-tape hurdles
from city-hall (you never know).

*** But if anyone is sharing their home EVSE, I would like to know their
experiences.
%

Re: ?seeking EVSE-share experiences & advice

Kudos Bruce Kudos!!!  Great idea!!!

On a serious side, I’d check with a local electrician to see what
restrictions there be on how many electrons can be pumped without taxing
your electrical infrastructure and what may need to be beefed up.
Especially if you are planning multiple charge points.

Would it be better to offer several more Level 1’s than a single or two
Level 2’s?  On an 8 hour shift, Level 1 would provide 3 to 5 miles an hour
of charging; enough to cover a round trip commute in most cases.

As being a veteran, do you need any help financially?

Good luck to you at the VA.  Please keep us informed as you go along!

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 4:15 AM brucedp5 via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> spaces at night the VA Dr's Tesla's aren't using, I could offer them to
> those apt. residents for an overnight use fee.
>
> I made contact with my local sa utility, who seem interested in my offering
> EVSE
> https://www.cpsenergy.com/ev
>
> Obviously, there will be a lot of up front costs, I would have to begin
> small, recouping expenditures over time (depreciated assets) ...
>  and the whole thing may not happen at all if I run into red-tape hurdles
> from city-hall (you never know).
>
> *** But if anyone is sharing their home EVSE, I would like to know their
> experiences.
> %
>

> For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
>  http://evdl.org/archive/
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}

Re: ?seeking EVSE-share experiences & advice

Many residential neighborhoods don’t allow commercial operators. Even if they do your neighbors will not like it.

Sent from my iPhone

On 3/18/19 3:06 AM, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> Almost everyone's house has lots of front lawn space here in TX ... Instead,

My first thought is grief from city zoning and/or HOA.  In many areas it
is just fine to park in your front yard, in many others, not.

You have identified a house?  I know nothing of the lay out of the SA VA
but those places normally have attractive parking in garages and lots
that are conveniently located to the offices.  Do you see street parking
that is attractive to VA people?

I have LONG been a proponent of voluntary payment for charging.  A sign
something like:  "If you like, make a contribution via PayPal to <email
address>."  Sadly, I've never seen a case where that has been adopted.
Even where I have offered to fund the installations.

I THINK Tesla is still giving away destination EVSEs.  In some cases,
they have added at least one J1772 to the package.  Two or more Tesla
units plus a J1772.  The Tesla units have the very nice feature of being
able to share a single circuit.

> I thought I'd put cement parking in (cement does not need to be mowed). But
> this leads to the next thought of utilizing that space.
>
> Since there will be parking for a several cars,
> Watt-If these parking spaces in my front yard,
>   were EV-only with EVSE? (I told you it was a wild-idea) ...

A good strategy for keeping the riff raff ICE from clogging your parking.

A caution: I know one SA Tesla owner who does not have home charging.
He relies almost solely on free Tesla and J1772 charge stations.  He
tends to leave his car parked and charging over night a few miles from
his home.  Personally, I feel that behavior subverts the purpose of
having free charging.  That is, if you offer free charging and voluntary
payment, you may be abused.  There is only one way to find out for sure.
  I encourage you to give it a try.

Jukka may be able to offer you some EVSEs as demos for his Parking
Energy enterprise.  I hope that they will eventually be looking for some
high visibility USA locations.

dashed/kaput/its sold Jim: ?seeking EVSE-share experiences & advice

1st my thanks for the responses.

crutching, e-mobility distance) is now in a pending state. Someone else made
a bid for the house that was accepted = its sold Jim).

I thought I had enough time as it had been on the market for over 400 days
with no takers. Then suddenly, it is snapped up. Hmm ... seems like the sa
housing market sells quite quick ...
(that is what I was already told a couple weeks ago by a couple of local
homeowner gals. And now I've seen how quick: ouch).

I best get my act together and have cash in hand to nab the next house I
want, asap,
(else get left face down in the dirt).

So, all my good-intentioned (wild-eyed) home-EVSE access, plans, &ideas are
now off the table.
Again, thanks Y’all (my 1st southern inflection/drawl since moving to TX) [
https://writingexplained.org/yall-or-ya-ll-difference
] :-)