selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

J Bills
Actually, this brings up an interesting point, and something I've been
trying to wrap my head around - how is it so easy for some of you to let go
of your creations?  the fact that there is a lively 2nd hand market for EVs
kind of boggles my mind.

I've talked to several people about this and haven't ever really gotten a
clear answer that I was willing to accept.  With the exception of Tim
Kutscha, who sold his converted Porsche 914 to try his hand at a budget
Civic conversion, and in turn sold his Civic when the Leaf came out.  That
type of stuff I get.  Other than that sort of thing, I'm baffled.

>From what I can tell, every EV owner comes to that crossroads every so many
years where you either swap the batteries or cash in your chips.  Many
times they go with the latter.  Or at least try to.

I have a hard time swallowing this, because I really feel a strong
relationship with my 2 EVs.  maybe it's an obsession that will pass at some
point...  and honestly given that both of my EVs are over 30 years old,
maybe it's all a bit of an unhealthy, airbagless, rust laden obsession to
be honest, but I feel like I have this strange monogamous bond with my
cars.  Like we're partners for life.

I bought both of mine 2nd hand, already converted.  Yet, I have to say,
both times I was inches away from converting the exact same car myself as
the one I ended up buying, so it was very much premeditated.

I guess speaking from experience, with my Fiat Spider, I was dead set on
doing one.  It's my all time favorite car and making it electric solves a
lot of it's downsides, so was a dream of mine for several years.   I'd been
prepping and researching and eventually was down to finding the right
glider.  Had been holding out for the limited anniversary edition model
('81) but I was just about to throw in the towel on that and settle for
something more common when I heard a rumor that there was one already
converted down the road a couple hours away.

I networked and tracked it down, which was surprisingly easy.  once I found
it, I set up a time with the owner to stop by and snap some photos, ask
questions, check out how the battery racks were designed, etc.  He ended up
seeing my enthusiasm and saying "well, my wife and I had talked a while ago
about selling it to someone if we could find it a good home..."

in his case, I don't know.  he was a genius, an anesthesiologist who did
wiring with the exactness of a surgeon, but he said he was having a hard
time keeping up with the mechanical side of the car.  The wipers weren't
working, which you can imagine would be annoying here in Oregon.  I don't
know, first thing I did when I got it home was check the wiper motor and
noticed the ground wire had come unplugged.  fired right up.  I guess in
his case it was more about the time or effort it was taking, which we all
know is a lot.  and it was about to need batteries.  fair enough.

and then with my 2nd EV, I had already bought a non-running but
mechanically complete shell and had it sitting out in front of my house
while I waited for some time off work to work on it.  Another Electravan
owner here in town heard about my shell and stopped by and sold me his
running van for a great price, because he was due for batteries and wanted
to get out completely and buy a motorcycle.  he felt like he was a little
over his head, and was only able to keep it going because he had a friend
who would help him work on it.  saved me a lot of weekends slugging it out
with that shell I'd bought.  (but I still plan on fixing it up some day)

Ok - those I get...   those guys were just dabbling and were in it for the
novelty and hobby of it but weren't afraid to walk away.  I'm the 4th or
5th electric owner on both of my EVs.

that sort of stuff I get, but I guess my original point is how do the
CREATORS walk away from their cars? how does dr. frankenstein create this
beautiful, amazing, one-of-a-kind vehicle and not have a lifelong tie to
it?  how do the *initial *convertors let their baby go?

temporary insanity is a perfectly fair answer.  ha ha.

anyone regret it?  or best thing you ever did?

ps - one of these days I'm going to bump into the creator of my Fiat around
town at some event or something.  looking forward to shaking his hand and
buying him a drink.  I just hope he doesn't treat me like a new husband to
his former divorcee car and want to kick my ass or something.  :)

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <<< Yes, the first one of anything is expensive. But it's a bit like art,
> don't you think? What did DaVinci spend to make the Mona Lisa? A bit of
> canvas and some paint... maybe $10. But also weeks of work by a master
> artist... priceless! >>>
>
> Actually, I was thinking of the first iteration of a *conversion*,
> because many of them change hands several times over their useful
> lives, becoming cheaper each time. You're thinking in regards to
> production vehicles...in which case, early adopters are our friends!!

Re: selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

Jay Summet

Re: selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

joe-22
In my case, economic reality forced me to sell both of mine - I currently
have none, nor the money to convert the one donor that I have available.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> [...]
> town at some event or something.  looking forward to shaking his hand and
> buying him a drink.  I just hope he doesn't treat me like a new husband to
> his former divorcee car and want to kick my ass or something.  :)
>

> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> <<< Yes, the first one of anything is expensive. But it's a bit like art,
>> don't you think? What did DaVinci spend to make the Mona Lisa? A bit of
>> canvas and some paint... maybe $10. But also weeks of work by a master
>> artist... priceless! >>>
>>
>> Actually, I was thinking of the first iteration of a *conversion*,
>> because many of them change hands several times over their useful
>> lives, becoming cheaper each time. You're thinking in regards to
>> production vehicles...in which case, early adopters are our friends!!

Re: selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

Bob Bath

Yeah, it's an interesting question:
-Take my position as a teacher.  If I sell the rig to get power steering and AC back (the former for my wife), then a replacement LEAF is a less-effective teaching tool, because the batteries are not visible to the students, nor is the on-board charger.
-I brought the first daughter home in the Civic, so it has sentimental value whether it's gas or electric.
-80+ hours of building, plus the time spent thinking about component locations?  You can price it as high as you want, but right now, nobody will pay for that brain-work, let alone the cost of components.  I put mine up for a month last month, and had one interested person who wound up purchasing a ZAP car for $5K or whatever they run.
- No matter how cool your ride is, LEAF, CivicEV, whatever, the brain goes from thinking "I've got the coolest ride in the world" to "well, it's good transportation" with rare exception.  I find it requires coaching oneself to appreciate what one has, transportation-wise or other.
My 0.02.
peace,

Tom Keenan
I have my 1976 Citicar for sale for a similar reason - to pay for batteries for my 'new' EV.  It is for sale at $1,900. As a daily driver, the typical C-Car issues (brakes, wiring, controller, etc.) have been taken care of.  It will need batteries and could use some cosmetic/paint work typical of any 35 year-old vehicle. Located in Alameda, CA.

Tom Keenan

Re: selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

Mike Beem

> > So one possible motivation is if you have more EV's than you can
> > justify keeping around....if you can find a better home for your old
> > unused EV, it makes sense to sell it...you've found somebody who wants
> > to drive an EV every day, and are able to make that happen.
> >
> > Jay

I have only done one full-on running-ICE-to-EV conversion, all of my other
6 EV's have been other people's EV's or projects. The first one I bought in
order to get the 33 Optima batteries that the builder had ordered for his
EV; he had it operational on one string of 11, the other 22 had not been
used at all.  I used the Optimas to replace the aging Dephi pack in
WATTABMR, then used the best of the Delphi's to power the OHMSMOBIL (the
project I had bought), which I then sold for what I had paid for it and all
of the extra parts and equipment that came with it.
I bought my current daily driver EV from an electrically knowledgeable guy
(a genuine EE) who didn't want to replace the pack, after he done really
good work on the components, body, running gear, and interior. I spent less
for it including the new LiFePo4 pack and BMS than I spent on motor,
controller, and charger for WATTABMR in 1999.

I do have a 4 seater GEM with fairly new pack that I need to sell, (SF Bay
Area) if anybody is looking.
Michael B

Re: selling an EV that you created with your bare hands

martinwinlow

On 29 May 2012, at 07:19, J Bills wrote:

> Actually, this brings up an interesting point, and something I've been
> trying to wrap my head around - how is it so easy for some of you to let go
> of your creations?  the fact that there is a lively 2nd hand market for EVs
> kind of boggles my mind.

> Ok - those I get...   those guys were just dabbling and were in it for the
> novelty and hobby of it but weren't afraid to walk away.  I'm the 4th or
> 5th electric owner on both of my EVs.
>
> that sort of stuff I get, but I guess my original point is how do the
> CREATORS walk away from their cars? how does dr. frankenstein create this
> beautiful, amazing, one-of-a-kind vehicle and not have a lifelong tie to
> it?  how do the *initial *convertors let their baby go?

J,

Well, one way is to drive unwittingly into a riot and get hit by a 3T 4x4...

Regards, Martin Winlow
Herts, UK
http://www.evalbum.com/2092