shuttle van update

Mike Golub-2
I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.

Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?

The easist method, I developed was to take one of those 350a Hienmenn
breakers and split it in half., It seemed to blow very low...but I haven't
measured it.

Thanks

Re: shuttle van update

Doug Weathers

On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:31 PM, m gol wrote:

> I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
> I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
>
> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?

You could use a controller with a battery amp limit, such as the Zilla.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

Re: shuttle van update

Mike Golub-2
I should mentioned I'm looking to use a curtis or a logi controller.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Doug Weathers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2010, at 12:31 PM, m gol wrote:
>
> > I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
> > I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
> >
> > Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?
>
> You could use a controller with a battery amp limit, such as the Zilla.
>
> --
> Doug Weathers
> Las Cruces, NM, USA
> <http://www.gdunge.com/>

Re: shuttle van update

Dennis Miles
Use a simple solid state constant current circuit with suitably rated
components and it will limit max current.  That was the preferred way to
operate an LED from a battery before PWM became popular. maintained
brightness until the battery was very dead.
Regards,
Dennis Lee Miles   (Director)     E.V.T.I. inc.
*www.E-V-T-I-Inc.COM*           (Adviser) EVTI-EVA Education Chapter
Phone (863) 944 - 9913
  It’s estimated that the existing U.S. electrical grid has sufficient
capacity to fully fuel three-quarters of the nation’s 217 million passenger
vehicles.
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM, m gol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
> I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
>
> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?
>
> The easist method, I developed was to take one of those 350a Hienmenn
> breakers and split it in half., It seemed to blow very low...but I haven't
> measured it.
>
> Thanks

Re: shuttle van update

Peter Gabrielsson
Disclaimer: Try this harebrained scheme at your own peril.....

The Curtis and logisystems throttle input is referenced to negative
pack in. Put a 3mOhm 150W resistor in series with the negative pack
connection, at 225A the resistor will develop a 0.7V drop, use this to
turn on a NPN transistor that pulls down the throttle input thereby
limiting current.

If 150W loss at full current is too much for you to stomach, then use
a smaller resistor with a op-amp amplifier, of course you'll have to
supply isolated power to the op-amp, filtering, etc.

Or buy a Zilla or Soliton ....

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM, m gol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
> I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
>
> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?
>
> The easist method, I developed was to take one of those 350a Hienmenn
> breakers and split it in half., It seemed to blow very low...but I haven't
> measured it.
>
> Thanks

www.electric-lemon.com

NEW 140 Mile per charge van

philgalati2004
As of today NJ EV Conversions will become the dealer of the
FORD WINDSTAR High Mileage EV.

This vehicle is in direct competition with any EV on the market including
the
Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. The only difference is this is a conversion and
is
ready for 2010.

The vehicle WILL DO:
1. 140 miles per charge
2. It has a lithium battery pack
3. It will charge to 100% in 20 minutes if needed
4. It uses an automatic transmission
5. It has an 11" Warp Motor
6. The vehicle is capable of over 80 MPH
7. Yes it will be sold as a kit, with all parts and instruction Manuel
8. Turn around time is 3 months
9. This conversion does not include the vehicle
10. No other vehicles may be substituted at this time. Future vehicles
are planned

This is a DC powered machine not AC. This is not a sales gimic or a lot of
hype
this is a real 100% EV. One is presently being used as a full size taxi
which
travels 448 miles in a day, every day, on electric. There is no gas motor or
anything gas in the vehicle. This design has been around since 2003 and has
just
gotten a patent release by the inventors.

Pricing will be available in two weeks.
We are also selling lithium battery packs with a BMS included

Phil Galati
NJ Jersey Electric Vehicle Conversions
http://tinyurl.Com/2uzt4cp
973-224-2619
POR-15 Rest Preventive Paint ON SALE
TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF

Re: shuttle van update

m gol wrote:
> I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
> I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?

Most controllers already have a built-in current limit. On the Curtis
controllers, it is adjustable. On the 1221 and 1231 controllers, there
is a trimpot behind a screw on the side of the case. On the smaller
microcomputer-controlled models, it is adjusted with a "programming box"
that plugs in.

Re: shuttle van update

dave cover-2
> m gol wrote:
>> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?

Don't forget, the most important thing to adjust is the nut behind the
wheel! :^)

DAC

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> m gol wrote:
>> I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
>> I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
>> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?
>
> Most controllers already have a built-in current limit. On the Curtis
> controllers, it is adjustable. On the 1221 and 1231 controllers, there
> is a trimpot behind a screw on the side of the case. On the smaller
> microcomputer-controlled models, it is adjusted with a "programming box"
> that plugs in.
> --
> Lee A. Hart             | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N           | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377        | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net  | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: shuttle van update

Peter Gabrielsson
The trimpot on the 1231, 1221 limits motor current though.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Lee Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> m gol wrote:
>> I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
>> I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
>> Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?
>
> Most controllers already have a built-in current limit. On the Curtis
> controllers, it is adjustable. On the 1221 and 1231 controllers, there
> is a trimpot behind a screw on the side of the case. On the smaller
> microcomputer-controlled models, it is adjusted with a "programming box"
> that plugs in.
> --
> Lee A. Hart             | Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave N           | Forget the perfect offering
> Sartell MN 56377        | There is a crack in everything
> leeahart earthlink.net  | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

www.electric-lemon.com

Re: NEW 140 Mile per charge van

joe-22
Hey, Phil, I've got a 1996 Windstar van with a blown head gasket - I could
use it for a conversion, or someone can get it from me and convert it.
What's the cost of the kit?

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

> As of today NJ EV Conversions will become the dealer of the
> FORD WINDSTAR High Mileage EV.
>
> This vehicle is in direct competition with any EV on the market including
> the
> Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. The only difference is this is a conversion
> and
> is
> ready for 2010.
>
> The vehicle WILL DO:
> 1. 140 miles per charge
> 2. It has a lithium battery pack
> 3. It will charge to 100% in 20 minutes if needed
> 4. It uses an automatic transmission
> 5. It has an 11" Warp Motor
> 6. The vehicle is capable of over 80 MPH
> 7. Yes it will be sold as a kit, with all parts and instruction Manuel
> 8. Turn around time is 3 months
> 9. This conversion does not include the vehicle
> 10. No other vehicles may be substituted at this time. Future vehicles
> are planned
>
> This is a DC powered machine not AC. This is not a sales gimic or a lot of
> hype
> this is a real 100% EV. One is presently being used as a full size taxi
> which
> travels 448 miles in a day, every day, on electric. There is no gas motor
> or
> anything gas in the vehicle. This design has been around since 2003 and
> has
> just
> gotten a patent release by the inventors.
>
> Pricing will be available in two weeks.
> We are also selling lithium battery packs with a BMS included
>
> Phil Galati
> NJ Jersey Electric Vehicle Conversions
> http://tinyurl.Com/2uzt4cp
> 973-224-2619
> POR-15 Rest Preventive Paint ON SALE
> TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF

Re: NEW 140 Mile per charge van

Bob Rice-2
   Hi Phil;

   Sounds like a great EV! Can ya sell the badd-ery pack separately. They
COULD go in my Jetta, for example?Ya need the BMS, too, I'm sure?IF yur
selling PARTS?

      Bob
> Hey, Phil, I've got a 1996 Windstar van with a blown head gasket - I could
> use it for a conversion, or someone can get it from me and convert it.
> What's the cost of the kit?
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Hey Bob,

If you want a battery pack. Here is the info I have presently. All the packs
are imported
along with the BMS. The battery packs are speced out to  your needs, and
size requirements
he doesn't make a one size fits all. The packs I have seen actually use
different size lithium
packs incorporated into one box.

The BMS is on separate cards  and hooked up to a module. I have to tell you
when questioning the supplier I didn't see any significant decrease in
pricing other than it is about a
third of the price of any American manufacture. The other plus is it can be
ordered at any time. The container
is shipped from China either shared or limited by weight. They are never
full like other products shipped to us.

Being the manufacture just came to visit me from California, he will need
time to get back to his base.
It will probably be two weeks before I can get some pricing.

Phil
NJ Jersey Electric Vehicle Conversions
http://tinyurl.Com/2uzt4cp
973-224-2619
POR-15 Rest Preventive Paint ON SALE
TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF

> Hey, Phil, I've got a 1996 Windstar van with a blown head gasket - I could
> use it for a conversion, or someone can get it from me and convert it.
> What's the cost of the kit?
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

I need a couple of weeks for my manufacturer to get back to his base
I will be posting the pricing on here and my site as soon as I get it.

Phil Galati

NJ Jersey Electric Vehicle Conversions
http://tinyurl.Com/2uzt4cp
973-224-2619
POR-15 Rest Preventive Paint ON SALE
TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF

> As of today NJ EV Conversions will become the dealer of the
> FORD WINDSTAR High Mileage EV.
>
> This vehicle is in direct competition with any EV on the market including
> the
> Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. The only difference is this is a conversion
> and
> is
> ready for 2010.
>
> The vehicle WILL DO:
> 1. 140 miles per charge
> 2. It has a lithium battery pack
> 3. It will charge to 100% in 20 minutes if needed
> 4. It uses an automatic transmission
> 5. It has an 11" Warp Motor
> 6. The vehicle is capable of over 80 MPH
> 7. Yes it will be sold as a kit, with all parts and instruction Manuel
> 8. Turn around time is 3 months
> 9. This conversion does not include the vehicle
> 10. No other vehicles may be substituted at this time. Future vehicles
> are planned
>
> This is a DC powered machine not AC. This is not a sales gimic or a lot of
> hype
> this is a real 100% EV. One is presently being used as a full size taxi
> which
> travels 448 miles in a day, every day, on electric. There is no gas motor
> or
> anything gas in the vehicle. This design has been around since 2003 and
> has
> just
> gotten a patent release by the inventors.
>
> Pricing will be available in two weeks.
> We are also selling lithium battery packs with a BMS included
>
> Phil Galati
> NJ Jersey Electric Vehicle Conversions
> http://tinyurl.Com/2uzt4cp
> 973-224-2619
> POR-15 Rest Preventive Paint ON SALE
> TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF

Re: NEW 140 Mile per charge van

Glenn Wasserman
I will be interested in hearing the pricing when it comes out. Looks
interesting.

Thanks
-Glenn

> As of today NJ EV Conversions will become the dealer of the FORD
> WINDSTAR High Mileage EV.
>
> This vehicle is in direct competition with any EV on the market
> including the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf. The only difference is this
> is a conversion and is ready for 2010.
>
> The vehicle WILL DO:
> 1. 140 miles per charge
> 2. It has a lithium battery pack
> 3. It will charge to 100% in 20 minutes if needed 4. It uses an
> automatic transmission 5. It has an 11" Warp Motor 6. The vehicle is
> capable of over 80 MPH 7. Yes it will be sold as a kit, with all parts
> and instruction Manuel 8. Turn around time is 3 months 9. This
> conversion does not include the vehicle 10. No other vehicles may be
> substituted at this time. Future vehicles are planned
>
> This is a DC powered machine not AC. This is not a sales gimic or a
> lot of hype this is a real 100% EV. One is presently being used as a
> full size taxi which travels 448 miles in a day, every day, on
> electric. There is no gas motor or anything gas in the vehicle. This
> design has been around since 2003 and has just gotten a patent release
> by the inventors.
>
> Pricing will be available in two weeks.
> We are also selling lithium battery packs with a BMS included
>
> Phil Galati
> NJ Jersey Electric Vehicle Conversions http://tinyurl.Com/2uzt4cp
> 973-224-2619
> POR-15 Rest Preventive Paint ON SALE
> TROJAN Batteries 50% OFF
> scrubbed...

Re: shuttle van update

Mike Golub-2
How about using a 500amp/50mv shunt and then at 21mv have it turn on a
switch that would put a 2.5Kohm resistor in parallel with the potbox?

Need help with the switch part.

Thanks

Michael Golub

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Peter Gabrielsson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Disclaimer: Try this harebrained scheme at your own peril.....
>
> The Curtis and logisystems throttle input is referenced to negative
> pack in. Put a 3mOhm 150W resistor in series with the negative pack
> connection, at 225A the resistor will develop a 0.7V drop, use this to
> turn on a NPN transistor that pulls down the throttle input thereby
> limiting current.
>
> If 150W loss at full current is too much for you to stomach, then use
> a smaller resistor with a op-amp amplifier, of course you'll have to
> supply isolated power to the op-amp, filtering, etc.
>

> Or buy a Zilla or Soliton ....
>

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM, m gol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'll be using about 45 TS90 in series for the shuttle van project.
> > I'd like to keep the amps down to about 2.5C so around 225amps.
> >
> > Is there any easy way to add a "governor" to do this?
> >
> > The easist method, I developed was to take one of those 350a Hienmenn
> > breakers and split it in half., It seemed to blow very low...but I
> haven't
> > measured it.
> >
> > Thanks

> www.electric-lemon.com

Re: shuttle van update

Mike Willmon
Better just to put the resistor in parallel with the Pot permanently.

Without the proper feedback control once the throttle is cut back the shunt reading will go below 21mV applying full throttle again,
shunt voltage will go above 21mV, resistor applied cutting back throttle reducing shunt voltage below 21mV again, and so on until
something breaks, or you kill your batteries, or you get tired of the oscillations ;-)

Just put another trim-pot in parallel with the Pot box and you can adjust your throttle level to not give more than the current you
want to draw.

Which controller are you using?

Mike

Re: shuttle van update

Jeff Shanab

This may bot be so easy to do. High amperage often occurs at light throttle. Becasue we are taking about current limit in the motor
loop, not the battery loop.

As you start to pull away from the light the PWM duty ramps up. This gives the torque to turn the wheels, but the voltage is very
low at the slow motor RPM and so the "watts in = watts out" truism means the current is high.

While a person could keep one eye on a amp gauge, I'd rather they keep both eyes on the road.

I haven't got my data collected from my zilla hany, but I do remember being a bit surprised about the short durition high amperage
peak in a normal acceleration

|    **
|   *  *
|  *     **
| *         **    *
|*______________________________________

> Don't forget, the most important thing to adjust is the nut behind the
> wheel! :^)
>
> DAC

>> > Most controllers already have a built-in current limit. On the Curtis
>> > controllers, it is adjustable. On the 1221 and 1231 controllers, there
>> > is a trimpot behind a screw on the side of the case. On the smaller
>> > microcomputer-controlled models, it is adjusted with a "programming box"
>> > that plugs in.
>> > --
>> > Lee A. Hart             | Ring the bells that still can ring
>> > 814 8th Ave N           | Forget the perfect offering
>> > Sartell MN 56377        | There is a crack in everything
>> > leeahart earthlink.net  | That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen

> -- http://www.evalbum.com/2149

Re: shuttle van update

On 6/21/2010 7:03 PM, Peter Gabrielsson wrote:
> The trimpot on the 1231, 1221 limits motor current though.

Yes, but that automatically limits battery current, too. Battery current
is always less than motor current.

Re: shuttle van update

Mike Golub-2
Mike

The other issue is too keep the voltage high, so the amps stay low...by
putting the 2.5k ohm in there permanently would defeat that purpose, and
draw more amps.
I'm using a rebuilt curtis by logi. It's a 1209 case that can do 144v 750a

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Mike Willmon <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Better just to put the resistor in parallel with the Pot permanently.
>
> Without the proper feedback control once the throttle is cut back the shunt
> reading will go below 21mV applying full throttle again,
> shunt voltage will go above 21mV, resistor applied cutting back throttle
> reducing shunt voltage below 21mV again, and so on until
> something breaks, or you kill your batteries, or you get tired of the
> oscillations ;-)
>
> Just put another trim-pot in parallel with the Pot box and you can adjust
> your throttle level to not give more than the current you
> want to draw.
>
> Which controller are you using?
>
> Mike

Re: shuttle van update

Lee Hart
On 6/22/2010 9:48 AM, m gol wrote:
> The other issue is too keep the voltage high, so the amps stay low...by
> putting the 2.5k ohm in there permanently would defeat that purpose, and
> draw more amps.
> I'm using a rebuilt curtis by logi. It's a 1209 case that can do 144v 750a

Try turning down the current limit pot first -- that's easy. But I don't
know if it will have enough range. I don't have experience with the
1209, but on my 1231, the current limit pot has a range of about 2:1.