silant EVs

Electric Blue auto convertions
this is beyond dumb , just about all new cars are so quiet you cant hear them, after they have mileage on them they get a bit noisy, maybe they should put marbles in the hub caps to tell them a car is coming . and why is there Braille on a drive up ATM ??? go figure that one out .. My wifes car is 10 yesrs old and its very quiet, you only hear tire/road noise when driving

Re: silent EVs

Barry Oppenheim
I used to think that the whole EV lack of noise thing was BS.  But my
opinion has changed since getting a Tesla.  As much as I hate to admit it
this is a real problem for some EV's.

On my DIY EV it is not a problem because the sound of the DC motor is easily
heard.  But the Tesla is whisper quiet at low speeds on asphalt roads.

I can tell you from personel experience that it is "creepy quiet".  Once I
was standing in the driveway waiting for my wife to return home.  I turned
to do something.  A few seconds later I turned around and almost jumped when
I saw the car right next to me!

On several occasions while driving through crowds my wife has commented on
the fact that the pedestrians are not even getting out of the way.  I told
her it is because they don't hear us coming.

I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
horn".  Just like the regular horn it would be operated as needed, not on
all of the time.  The difference would be that the sound would softer.  Not
as startling as a regular horn, but enough to make sure the pedestrian hears
you coming.

Barry

Re: silent EVs

Chris Tromley
Years ago I considered mounting a bicycle bell.  It's the right volume and
has a cheerful sound.

Which raises a new question.  Why aren't the blind all up in arms about
bicycles?

Chris
On Jul 2, 2013 12:35 PM, "Barry Oppenheim" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I used to think that the whole EV lack of noise thing was BS.  But my
> opinion has changed since getting a Tesla.  As much as I hate to admit it
> this is a real problem for some EV's.
>
> On my DIY EV it is not a problem because the sound of the DC motor is
> easily
> heard.  But the Tesla is whisper quiet at low speeds on asphalt roads.
>
> I can tell you from personel experience that it is "creepy quiet".  Once I
> was standing in the driveway waiting for my wife to return home.  I turned
> to do something.  A few seconds later I turned around and almost jumped
> when
> I saw the car right next to me!
>
> On several occasions while driving through crowds my wife has commented on
> the fact that the pedestrians are not even getting out of the way.  I told
> her it is because they don't hear us coming.
>
> I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
> horn".  Just like the regular horn it would be operated as needed, not on
> all of the time.  The difference would be that the sound would softer.  Not
> as startling as a regular horn, but enough to make sure the pedestrian
> hears
> you coming.
>
> Barry

Re: silent EVs

Peri Hartman
I think it's because bicyclists are generally more aware and more ready to
stop.  That said, I hit a ped a number of years back who stepped off the
curb without looking.

Peri

http://lists.evdl.org/private.cgi/ev-evdl.org/attachments/20130702/3c424485

> /attachment.htm>

Re: silent EVs

Bicycles are not 2-ton boxes of steel and hardly ever ride fast enough
to cause more than painful bruises. Most bicyclist do not ride
distracted as that would lead to a high probability of accident or even
death.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

wrote:

> I used to think that the whole EV lack of noise thing was BS.  But my
> opinion has changed since getting a Tesla.  As much as I hate to admit
it
> this is a real problem for some EV's.
>
> On my DIY EV it is not a problem because the sound of the DC motor is
> easily
> heard.  But the Tesla is whisper quiet at low speeds on asphalt roads.
>
> I can tell you from personel experience that it is "creepy quiet".
Once I
> was standing in the driveway waiting for my wife to return home.  I
turned
> to do something.  A few seconds later I turned around and almost
jumped
> when
> I saw the car right next to me!
>
> On several occasions while driving through crowds my wife has
commented on
> the fact that the pedestrians are not even getting out of the way.  I
told
> her it is because they don't hear us coming.
>
> I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
> horn".  Just like the regular horn it would be operated as needed, not
on
> all of the time.  The difference would be that the sound would softer.
Not

> as startling as a regular horn, but enough to make sure the pedestrian
> hears
> you coming.
>
> Barry

Re: silent EVs

Dave Davidson-3
Barry,

The Volt has such a horn.  It just chirps instead of blasting and the
driver activates it as needed.

Dave

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Barry Oppenheim <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I used to think that the whole EV lack of noise thing was BS.  But my
> opinion has changed since getting a Tesla.  As much as I hate to admit it
> this is a real problem for some EV's.
>
> On my DIY EV it is not a problem because the sound of the DC motor is
> easily
> heard.  But the Tesla is whisper quiet at low speeds on asphalt roads.
>
> I can tell you from personel experience that it is "creepy quiet".  Once I
> was standing in the driveway waiting for my wife to return home.  I turned
> to do something.  A few seconds later I turned around and almost jumped
> when
> I saw the car right next to me!
>
> On several occasions while driving through crowds my wife has commented on
> the fact that the pedestrians are not even getting out of the way.  I told
> her it is because they don't hear us coming.
>
> I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
> horn".  Just like the regular horn it would be operated as needed, not on
> all of the time.  The difference would be that the sound would softer.  Not
> as startling as a regular horn, but enough to make sure the pedestrian
> hears
> you coming.
>
> Barry

Re: silent EVs

Barry Oppenheim
Dave,

Thanks.  Did not know that.  Maybe Tesla will add that in a future software
update.

Barry

The Volt has such a horn.  It just chirps instead of blasting and the driver
activates it as needed.

Dave

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Barry Oppenheim <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I used to think that the whole EV lack of noise thing was BS.  But my
> opinion has changed since getting a Tesla.  As much as I hate to admit
> it this is a real problem for some EV's.
>
> On my DIY EV it is not a problem because the sound of the DC motor is
> easily heard.  But the Tesla is whisper quiet at low speeds on asphalt
> roads.
>
> I can tell you from personel experience that it is "creepy quiet".
> Once I was standing in the driveway waiting for my wife to return
> home.  I turned to do something.  A few seconds later I turned around
> and almost jumped when I saw the car right next to me!
>
> On several occasions while driving through crowds my wife has
> commented on the fact that the pedestrians are not even getting out of
> the way.  I told her it is because they don't hear us coming.
>
> I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
> horn".  Just like the regular horn it would be operated as needed, not
> on all of the time.  The difference would be that the sound would
> softer.  Not as startling as a regular horn, but enough to make sure
> the pedestrian hears you coming.
>
> Barry

Re: silent EVs

gtyler54
`How about a noise maker that is manually controlled, when the driver sees a
person walking with a white cane they activate it? We could call it a
"horn", "hooter" or something like that? But, I guess that if the blind
person will not listen to someone shouting in their ear they are not going
to respond anyway.

The Volt has such a horn.  It just chirps instead of blasting and the driver
activates it as needed.

Dave

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Barry Oppenheim <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I used to think that the whole EV lack of noise thing was BS.  But my
> opinion has changed since getting a Tesla.  As much as I hate to admit
> it this is a real problem for some EV's.
>
> On my DIY EV it is not a problem because the sound of the DC motor is
> easily heard.  But the Tesla is whisper quiet at low speeds on asphalt
> roads.
>
> I can tell you from personel experience that it is "creepy quiet".
> Once I was standing in the driveway waiting for my wife to return
> home.  I turned to do something.  A few seconds later I turned around
> and almost jumped when I saw the car right next to me!
>
> On several occasions while driving through crowds my wife has
> commented on the fact that the pedestrians are not even getting out of
> the way.  I told her it is because they don't hear us coming.
>
> I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
> horn".  Just like the regular horn it would be operated as needed, not
> on all of the time.  The difference would be that the sound would
> softer.  Not as startling as a regular horn, but enough to make sure
> the pedestrian hears you coming.
>
> Barry

Silent ICEs luxury cars (was: silent EVs)

Bill Dube
Simply extent the law to encompass _all_ cars. Require that _all_ cars

Require that _all_ cars have a minimum dB level, including the many
nearly silent luxury cars.

There are plenty of nearly silent ICE luxury cars. It will kill the
legislation if you extend it to those nearly silent luxury models.
I can hear the howls of protest (many dBs) that will erupt when you put
the stupid noisemakers on the high-end Benz, Caddy's, etc.

Bill D

Re: Silent ICEs luxury cars (was: silent EVs)

Mike Scott-13
My argument exactly when I commented on this proposal to the legislature.

Funny you should mention this today. Just yesterday I was driving in my
wife's Volt and came up behind a pedestrian who did not hear us. My wife
insisted that I use the "Pedestrian Alert' function to warn them of our
silent car, but the thing is, it was actually running the ICE at the time!
(It's been a year since we put 3 gallons of gas in it and it was deemed
"stale" so EV mode was disallowed until fresh fuel is added.) The
pedestrian finally noticed the car and returned to the sidewalk without any
annoying noise from me.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Bill Dube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simply extent the law to encompass _all_ cars. Require that _all_ cars
>
> Require that _all_ cars have a minimum dB level, including the many nearly
> silent luxury cars.
>
> There are plenty of nearly silent ICE luxury cars. It will kill the
> legislation if you extend it to those nearly silent luxury models.
> I can hear the howls of protest (many dBs) that will erupt when you put
> the stupid noisemakers on the high-end Benz, Caddy's, etc.
>
> Bill D

Re: Silent ICEs luxury cars (was: silent EVs)

robert winfield

White House petition perhaps?

------------------------------
On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 8:31 PM EDT Bill Dube wrote:

>Simply extent the law to encompass _all_ cars. Require that _all_ cars
>
>Require that _all_ cars have a minimum dB level, including the many nearly silent luxury cars.
>
>There are plenty of nearly silent ICE luxury cars. It will kill the legislation if you extend it to those nearly silent luxury models.
>I can hear the howls of protest (many dBs) that will erupt when you put the stupid noisemakers on the high-end Benz, Caddy's, etc.
>
>Bill D

Re: Silent ICEs luxury cars (was: silent EVs)

Mike Scott-13
perhaps, was a while ago.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM, robert winfield <[hidden email]>wrote:

> White House petition perhaps?
>

> ------------------------------
> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 8:31 PM EDT Bill Dube wrote:
>
> >Simply extent the law to encompass _all_ cars. Require that _all_ cars
> >
> >Require that _all_ cars have a minimum dB level, including the many
> nearly silent luxury cars.
> >
> >There are plenty of nearly silent ICE luxury cars. It will kill the
> legislation if you extend it to those nearly silent luxury models.
> >I can hear the howls of protest (many dBs) that will erupt when you put
> the stupid noisemakers on the high-end Benz, Caddy's, etc.
> >
> >Bill D

Re: silent EVs

Martin WINLOW
Hi Cor,

A quick internet search shows (for the UK, source- BBC) from 2001-2009:

Killed by cycles: 18
Seriously injured by cycles: 434
Killed by cars: 3,495
Seriously injured by cars: 46,245
As the US has 10 times as many fatal car crashes generally than the UK I would assume US fatalities due to being hit by cycles would be about 15-20 per year.  That's 15-20 too many in my book.

On your second point, in my experience (27 years woking on the streets of London), cyclists are even worse than car drivers in their recklessness, lawlessness and inattentive riding.  Add to that the fact that a lot of them are children without the benefit of much experience as well as the fact that many ride (unlawfully) on the pavement where they are far more likely to come into conflict with pedestrians and you can see the argument for noise from cycles logically applies just as much as to cars.

At least cars generally stay on the road which brings us back to the fundamental fact that if pedestrians don't want to get run over - by whatever contraption is operating in the vicinity - they should look where they are going!  Then we can all reap one of the key benefits of EVs, a more tranquil and therefore pleasant environment, especially in built up areas.

MW

On 2 Jul 2013, at 19:26, Cor van de Water wrote:

> Bicycles are not 2-ton boxes of steel and hardly ever ride fast enough
> to cause more than painful bruises. Most bicyclist do not ride
> distracted as that would lead to a high probability of accident or even
> death.
>
> Cor van de Water
> Chief Scientist
> Email: [hidden email] Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
> Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626

Re: silent EVs

Bill C.

> I think a better choice for an EV noise would be to have a "pedestrian
> horn".

The LEAF seems to have one of these.  What it lacks is a horn loud enough to be
heard by someone in another car!

Re: Silent ICEs luxury cars

Paul Wujek-2
Yes, there's no need to limit this kind of law to only one kind of vehicle.

On 13-07-02 08:31 PM, Bill Dube wrote:

> Simply extent the law to encompass _all_ cars. Require that _all_ cars
>
> Require that _all_ cars have a minimum dB level, including the many
> nearly silent luxury cars.
>
> There are plenty of nearly silent ICE luxury cars. It will kill the
> legislation if you extend it to those nearly silent luxury models.
> I can hear the howls of protest (many dBs) that will erupt when you
> put the stupid noisemakers on the high-end Benz, Caddy's, etc.
>
> Bill D

*Paul Wujek* <[hidden email]>

Re: silant EVs

nicklogan
If I'm ever required to implement pedestrian warning noise on my conversion I'll choose one of the classic sounds of the Three Stooges as a rolling commentary. It'd be a tough choice between Curly's "nyuk,nyuk" and the more general " Whoo-oo-oo-ooo".

Re: silent EVs

brucedp5
~2 years ago, I posted
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVs-pihs-hevs-Now-Louder-With-More-Noise-tp3743296p3743502.html

of the idea that a driver could use whatever sound they wanted. In that
thread it was also mentioned that the fight for adding sound was unfair
when there are other vehicles that are quiet too that are not required
to make noise.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
On Thu, Jul 4, 2013, at 07:45 AM, nicklogan wrote:

> If I'm ever required to implement pedestrian warning noise on my
> conversion
> I'll choose one of the classic sounds of the Three Stooges as a rolling
> commentary. It'd be a tough choice between Curly's "nyuk,nyuk" and the
> more
> general " Whoo-oo-oo-ooo".

http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class

Re: silent EVs

Lee Hart
I can't help but contribute to this anti-sense. Sorry; I can't help
myself! :-)

If the point is that people should be able to detect the presence of
cars by their sound, then they'd have to come up with an approximate
"standard sound" that all cars must make. Otherwise, we'll have add-on
car sounds that people have no trouble hearing, but that will *not*
alert people to the fact that it's coming from a car.

There is also the risk of starting a noise pollution war, just like the
light pollution war that emergency vehicles have experienced. First,
police cars started with one blinking light. Since no other car had
blinking lights, people noticed it. But soon, lots of cars have blinking
lights. So you add more, and brighter blinking lights. So now, emergency
have more blinking lights than Christmas trees.

If you allow any sort of add-on noise, it won't take long for Marketing
to set in. Just as we have deliberate vehicle sounds like sirens and ice
cream trucks, we'll have companies selling all sorts of novelty sound
effects. The carmakers will realize that they can make their vehicles
make marketable noises, that "advertises" their products.

You know what I'd like to see? Robert Heinlein used a gadget in a
science fiction story called a "Fenton Silencer". It picked up undesired
ambient sound, inverted it, and re-broadcast it to cancel out the noise.
It *reduced* the noise level, instead of adding more noise pollution.
Today, we have the technology to actually do this. So let's put these in
cars, to make our streets *quieter* instead of noisier.

For the blind or handicapped, I would suggest that there may be other
more appropriate technologies than mandating car noisemakers. Why not
consider radar or sonar based devices, which are far more accurate at
detecting and locating a potentially dangerous approaching vehicle?
These can even detect a silent bicyclist, or man on a horse!
--
The greatest pleasure in life is to create something that wasn't there
before. -- Roy Spence

Re: silent EVs

Nathan Loofbourrow
Next thing you know, they'll be installing speakers in cars that play loud
music with an overabundance of bass. :)

Re: silent EVs

Lee Hart
Nathan Loofbourrow wrote:
> Next thing you know, they'll be installing speakers in cars that play loud
> music with an overabundance of bass. :)

Gee, you think so? There are indeed lots of people who think others
enjoy their type of music.

Maybe I should put one in my car, with a "Fenton Silencer" to *cancel*
their booming distorted bass. :-)

PS: I looked up the reference; it was Arthur C. Clarke that invented it
in his story "Silence, Please", and not Heinlein.