smoke detectors for 12 volts

Dmiles33810

Several have mentioned EV Smoke detectors. First  time I had given it any
thought.
Perhaps I might have some good advice, I used to teach adults a class in
Alarm Installation, for both Intrusion [Burglar] and Fire Alarm systems.
     Almost all systems operate from a 12 Volt supply  of a sealed battery
and a small [wall wart] charger, so power utility  interruptions are
unimportant. All sensors operate on 12 VDC. including high  quality smoke and heat
detectors. Almost all sensors provide an output of dry  metallic contacts
like a relay contact rated for 100 to 500 mA. @ 12 VDC. and  with some
additional relays can shut down chargers, set off fire alarms, turn on  lights of
any sort, set off extinguishers?  You can take it as far as  comfortable for
you!
     As to best type of smoke detector, a cool  smoldering cigarette in a
sofa cushion makes little visible smoke but ionization  detectors sense them.
a flaming smokey fire they don't respond to.  But a  visible smoke sensing
unit sees the smoke. and a temperature sensor senses rapid  heating to
detect fires that aren't smoking much, because they give off  heat!
     This is also a source of magnetic switches that  can sense an open
fuel flap even if the two halves are an inch apart when the  door/flap is
closed. just stick two pieces on body and flap and connect wires to  inhibit
drive-away, when wire is plugged in for charging.
     There are a lot of sources for Alarm  Equipment.  This listing I found
on Google, but, I have never had any  business dealings with them. At least
they show the retail prices. You may have  a local supplier, there are
many, try the yellow pages???
     If you need suggestions, advice, help with  schematic diagrams or how
to hook it up, any member of this list can ask me,  Summer is my slow
season.  And if I don't know the answer, I will not just  make something up, but
I'll try to refer you to another expert.

_http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/smoke_detectors_1983_ctg.htm_
(http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/smoke_detectors_1983_ctg.htm)

Electric Vehicle Training Center Inc.
Training you, to  fix Tomorrows Electric Vehicles.

Dennis L. Miles Director

E-mail: [hidden email]
Phone: (863)  289-0690
(Opening in  2009)

**************Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop: Now in 6 vibrant colors! Shop Dell’s
full line of laptops.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222399266x1201456865/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215073777%3B3703434
3%3Bf)

Re: smoke detectors for 12 volts

Chuck Hursch-2
Hi,

I had a look at the link below.  It would be nice if they had
some manuals on-line, but it may be that they are available
elsewhere, like at the manufacturers' websites.  Not real high
priority for me right now, although I'd like to get it done
someday.  Seems like a detector that would detect a
malfunctioning charger (smoke, heat) or a hot wire/connector
(same) with a relay (to signal) and no speaker alarm would be
what I am looking for.  As for the location, I would primarily be
looking at one next to the charger (which is in the hatchback
area), and perhaps one in the engine bay to guard the DC charging
wire there (although DC doesn't seem as problematic as the AC
side of chargers).  If I also had my own garage, I'd have a smoke
alarm over the car, but I have an apartment carport.  Thanks for
the info.

Chuck

> [...]
>      There are a lot of sources for Alarm  Equipment.  This
listing I found
> on Google, but, I have never had any  business dealings with
them. At least
> they show the retail prices. You may have  a local supplier,
there are
> many, try the yellow pages???
>      If you need suggestions, advice, help with  schematic
diagrams or how
> to hook it up, any member of this list can ask me,  Summer is
my slow
> season.  And if I don't know the answer, I will not just  make
something up, but

> I'll try to refer you to another expert.
>
> _http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/smoke_detectors_1983_ctg.htm_
> (http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/smoke_detectors_1983_ctg.htm)
>
> Electric Vehicle Training Center Inc.
> Training you, to  fix Tomorrows Electric Vehicles.

Roland Wiench
The problem with a smoke detector in a garage, if you drive a ICE in there,
it goes off.  My smoke detector, or CO2 detector or even a natural gas
detector goes off when I drive my ICE near it.  Now if you have your EV in
standing traffic around you, it may fire off.

The best way is to have a separate bay for the EV and you could install a
combination heat detector that rotates and sees the fire, feels the heat,
smells the smoke, analyses the gases, can even put out the fire and turns on
a remote alarm to you or anyone you want.

> I had a look at the link below.  It would be nice if they had
> some manuals on-line, but it may be that they are available
> elsewhere, like at the manufacturers' websites.  Not real high
> priority for me right now, although I'd like to get it done
> someday.  Seems like a detector that would detect a
> malfunctioning charger (smoke, heat) or a hot wire/connector
> (same) with a relay (to signal) and no speaker alarm would be
> what I am looking for.  As for the location, I would primarily be
> looking at one next to the charger (which is in the hatchback
> area), and perhaps one in the engine bay to guard the DC charging
> wire there (although DC doesn't seem as problematic as the AC
> side of chargers).  If I also had my own garage, I'd have a smoke
> alarm over the car, but I have an apartment carport.  Thanks for
> the info.
>
> Chuck

mark at evie-systems
Something like this might work:

http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/

Roland Wiench wrote:

> The problem with a smoke detector in a garage, if you drive a ICE in there,
> it goes off.  My smoke detector, or CO2 detector or even a natural gas
> detector goes off when I drive my ICE near it.  Now if you have your EV in
> standing traffic around you, it may fire off.
>
> The best way is to have a separate bay for the EV and you could install a
> combination heat detector that rotates and sees the fire, feels the heat,
> smells the smoke, analyses the gases, can even put out the fire and turns on
> a remote alarm to you or anyone you want.
>
> Roland

mark@evie-systems.com
"Delay is preferable to error", Thomas Jefferson.