software for wiring drawing diagrams

Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video
 I there a simple software with out complex layers to like cut n paste electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,  relays etc..

I know about Lees ASCII  symobls. but thats too slow.

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Roland Wiench
I use a electronic simulator which is call Multisim Work Bench.  You can construct any electrical of electronic circuits with all known manufacturer components you can download to this program.

It also has all the test equipment and indicators that you can add to the circuit to monitor the status of the circuit.

You can download a free example for 30 days, to see if it's the one you want.  There are student programs that start out at $300.00 and up to over $10,000.00 for manufacturing integrated micro chips.

Just type Multisim in your search engine to download any simulator program you want to sample.

Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video wrote:
> I there a simple software with out complex layers to like cut n paste electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,  relays etc..
>
> I know about Lee's ASCII symobls but that's too slow.

I actually do it with ASCII because it's FASTER than using a CAD
program. Just use any normal text editor that does not force "insert" to
be on all the time. You can cut-n-paste your symbols from a library,
just like any other text.

CAD programs can be relatively quick to make a schematic; but they make
it in their proprietary format. That makes it hard to share with others.
You have to "attach" the schematic, which means it is likely to get
*lost* over time. (You'll often find old emails on the web where all the
attachments and links are gone).

CAD programs also (deliberately) make it hard to output files in
standard generic formats that anyone can read without that particular
CAD program. They *want* to lock you into their proprietary format!

--
If you're not stubborn, you'll give up on experiments too soon.
And if you're not flexible, you'll pound your head against the wall

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

John Lussmyer
On Sat Apr 19 22:18:28 PDT 2014 [hidden email] said:
>Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video wrote:
>> I there a simple software with out complex layers to like cut n paste electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,  relays etc..
>>
>> I know about Lee's ASCII symobls but that's too slow.
>
>I actually do it with ASCII because it's FASTER than using a CAD
>program. Just use any normal text editor that does not force "insert" to
>be on all the time. You can cut-n-paste your symbols from a library,
>just like any other text.
>CAD programs also (deliberately) make it hard to output files in
>standard generic formats that anyone can read without that particular
>CAD program. They *want* to lock you into their proprietary format!

While Lee is excellent and FAST with ASCII diagrams, I tend to use the Free version of EagleCAD.
(And it can export the schematic as an image that anybody can view.)

--

Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Martin WINLOW
I use Circuit Wizard - UK£60  ... http://www.new-wave-concepts.com/ed/circuit.html ... it also does circuit simulation, PCB design etc.  It is basic but still useful esp for drawing circuits easily. There is a pro version which is about £UK80.  Not sure what the difference is.  MW

On 20 Apr 2014, at 03:31, Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video wrote:

> I there a simple software with out complex layers to like cut n paste electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,  relays etc..
>
> I know about Lees ASCII  symobls. but thats too slow.

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

EV professor
John,  Where can I find a Free version of EagleCAD, Google found only a
$200 student version or a 30 day trial?

*Dennis  Miles *

*E-Mail:*  *[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 1:33 AM, John Lussmyer <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Sat Apr 19 22:18:28 PDT 2014 [hidden email] said:
> >Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video wrote:
> >> I there a simple software with out complex layers to like cut n paste
> electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,
>  relays etc..
> >>
> >> I know about Lee's ASCII symobls but that's too slow.
> >
> >I actually do it with ASCII because it's FASTER than using a CAD
> >program. Just use any normal text editor that does not force "insert" to
> >be on all the time. You can cut-n-paste your symbols from a library,
> >just like any other text.
> >CAD programs also (deliberately) make it hard to output files in
> >standard generic formats that anyone can read without that particular
> >CAD program. They *want* to lock you into their proprietary format!
>
> While Lee is excellent and FAST with ASCII diagrams, I tend to use the
> Free version of EagleCAD.
> (And it can export the schematic as an image that anybody can view.)
>

> --
>
> Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Michael Ross
I never have to make very complex schematics, but I also do functional
block diagrams, plumbing, annotate images, flow charts - all with and open
source program called Dia.  (Dee-ah) Free, open source, for multiple OS,
but more for Win OS's.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Dia/Download

It is more like M$ Visio than a circuit designing software, but very handy.
 If you are into this sort of thing, lot's of people program it with
Python, you can automate the creation of a Dia-gram, or create programming
from the DIa.

For a schematic there are palettes with things like resistors and caps,
transistors, relays, hydraulic and pneumatic, lab equipment, network and
telecom gear...whatever other users have shared.  Very nice feature - you
can make your own symbols.

I use it in conjunction with an open source vector graphics program called
Inkscape.  Where you can have interesting effects, like gradients,
transparency, etc.

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Dennis Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,  Where can I find a Free version of EagleCAD, Google found only a
> $200 student version or a 30 day trial?
>
> *Dennis  Miles *
>
> *E-Mail:*  *[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>
>

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 1:33 AM, John Lussmyer <[hidden email]
> >wrote:

> > electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,
> >  relays etc..

> > >I actually do it with ASCII because it's FASTER than using a CAD
> > >program. Just use any normal text editor that does not force "insert" to
> > >be on all the time. You can cut-n-paste your symbols from a library,
> > >just like any other text.
> > >CAD programs also (deliberately) make it hard to output files in
> > >standard generic formats that anyone can read without that particular
> > >CAD program. They *want* to lock you into their proprietary format!
> >
> > While Lee is excellent and FAST with ASCII diagrams, I tend to use the
> > Free version of EagleCAD.
> > (And it can export the schematic as an image that anybody can view.)
> >

> > --
> >
> > Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."

Thomas A. Edison<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*

Michael E. Ross
(919) 550-2430 Land
(919) 631-1451 Cell
(919) 513-0418 Desk

[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Rush Dougherty
I googled Eagle Cad and came back with these
https://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/freeware/
http://www.sunstone.com/pcb-solutions/pcb-cad-tools/pcb123?gclid=CNfDiJqU770
CFZWSfgodf3QA-A
http://www.pentalogix.com/eagle.php?gclid=CL3vrrqU770CFcRefgodLF8A7Q

Google is yur friend...

Rush
www.TucsonEV.com

Behalf

> Of Dennis Miles
> Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2014 2:37 AM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] software for wiring drawing diagrams
>
> John,  Where can I find a Free version of EagleCAD, Google found only a
> $200 student version or a 30 day trial?
>
> *Dennis  Miles *
>
> *E-Mail:*  *[hidden email]* <[hidden email]>
>

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 1:33 AM, John Lussmyer
> <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries ,
> > bulbs,  relays etc..

> > >I actually do it with ASCII because it's FASTER than using a CAD
> > >program. Just use any normal text editor that does not force "insert"
> > >to be on all the time. You can cut-n-paste your symbols from a
> > >library, just like any other text.
> > >CAD programs also (deliberately) make it hard to output files in
> > >standard generic formats that anyone can read without that particular
> > >CAD program. They *want* to lock you into their proprietary format!
> >
> > While Lee is excellent and FAST with ASCII diagrams, I tend to use the
> > Free version of EagleCAD.
> > (And it can export the schematic as an image that anybody can view.)
> >

> > --
> >
> > Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Peter Gabrielsson
ExpressPCB is very simple and easy to use. It's geared towards PCB design
but useful for any kind of schematic.  http://www.expresspcb.com/
KiCAD is free and open source.
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite
gEDA is another open source package, haven't tried that one lately.
http://www.geda-project.org/
ltspice is free and very good for simulation:
http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/?gclid=CL3wiMPK770CFQWTfgodiH8AqA#LTspice

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I there a simple software with out complex layers to like cut n paste
> electric symboles. like for us EVers  like switches, batteries , bulbs,
>  relays etc..
>
> I know about Lees ASCII  symobls. but thats too slow.

www.electric-lemon.com

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

EcoReality
For those on Macintosh, I highly recommend OmniGraffle, which is a general-purpose "boxes and lines" drawing program.

The lines "rubber band" as you move entities, and it maintains "not connected" arcs if you have lines paramaterized for that.

Here's an example, not electronic, but a schematic for Veggie Van Gogh's vegetable oil fuel system:
        http://www.veggievangogh.com/Van/VVGFuel.jpg

:::: Utilize Another's Wants. The energy of desire promises more than the inertia of possession. -- Baltasar Gracian

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

A couple of times when I've wanted to create a small, simple schematic, and
didn't want to learn (or buy) a new program just for that, I've used GIMP
and some canned symbols I found on the web.  Once you get the hang of
drawing lines and dots, it goes decently fast.

The only problem is that it's hard to change things later unless you make
every connection a new layer in your drawing.  That's not too bad for small
diagrams, but for a moderately complex circuit, I think that keeping the
layers straight would be nigh onto impossible.

I also found a truetype font with electronic symbols

http://radiomagonline.com/tutorials_tips/engineers_notebook/radio_electronic_
symbols_true/

That seemed like a good idea, but I couldn't figure out how to draw lines in
my word processor. :-(  So I tried using use the TT font symbols in GIMP.
That sort of worked, IIRC, but didn't seem any easier than using the canned
graphics-file symbols.

In the end, I found it easiest and fastest to just haul out my old drawing
board and T square, and then scan the finished drawing.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator
http://www.evdl.org/

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Lee Hart
EVDL Administrator wrote:
> I also found a truetype font with electronic symbols
>
> http://radiomagonline.com/tutorials_tips/engineers_notebook/radio_electronic_symbols_true/
>
> That seemed like a good idea, but I couldn't figure out how to draw lines in
> my word processor.

I don't use a word processor. It "messes about" too much with spacing,
fonts, formatting, etc. I use the simplest possible plain text editor. I
generally use the DOS "EDIT" program, because it's a fixed-width font
and I can turn off "insert".

The fundamental problem is that if you use a special font, special
program, or special file format, others can't see your schematics unless
they *also* download and install that same font or program.

Then, things change very fast on the web. That schematic you so
carefully drew and posted online becomes unreadable. The 1.xx program
you used has been replaced with 2.xx which uses a different format. Or
the product is simply no longer available.

If you want your work to be generally viewable by others, you have to
post it in some *very* common format (jpg, pdf, gif, etc.)

And it *still* may get lost if you depend on attaching it to your email.
Lots of email lists and archives strip off any attachments.

That's why I post these ugly old ASCII schematics. They will be in those
emails FOREVER. No matter how much Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, etc.
balkanize the web, you'll still be able to view them -- if you can stand
to (gasp choke) select a fixed-width font.

--
If you're not stubborn, you'll give up on experiments too soon.
And if you're not flexible, you'll pound your head against the wall
and you won't see a different solution to a problem you're trying
to solve. -- Jeff Bezos
--
Lee Hart's EV projects are at http://www.sunrise-ev.com/LeesEVs.htm

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Michael Ross
Dave,

I use GIMP, it is an incredible program, but it is way to much trouble for
diagramming.  Seriously - try out Dia for down and dirty.  I hate to think
of you doing that with GIMP.

I use a combination of GIMP, Inkscape, and Dia for all sorts of stuff, all
very nice.  GiMP is a photoshop substitute, Inkscape is vector graphics,
and Dia supplants Visio (both of these do line banding when attached to a
symbol).

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM, EVDL Administrator <[hidden email]>wrote:

> A couple of times when I've wanted to create a small, simple schematic, and
> didn't want to learn (or buy) a new program just for that, I've used GIMP
> and some canned symbols I found on the web.  Once you get the hang of
> drawing lines and dots, it goes decently fast.
>
> The only problem is that it's hard to change things later unless you make
> every connection a new layer in your drawing.  That's not too bad for small
> diagrams, but for a moderately complex circuit, I think that keeping the
> layers straight would be nigh onto impossible.
>
> I also found a truetype font with electronic symbols
>

> http://radiomagonline.com/tutorials_tips/engineers_notebook/radio_electronic_
> symbols_true/<http://radiomagonline.com/tutorials_tips/engineers_notebook/radio_electronic_symbols_true/>
>
> That seemed like a good idea, but I couldn't figure out how to draw lines
> in
> my word processor. :-(  So I tried using use the TT font symbols in GIMP.
> That sort of worked, IIRC, but didn't seem any easier than using the canned
> graphics-file symbols.
>
> In the end, I found it easiest and fastest to just haul out my old drawing
> board and T square, and then scan the finished drawing.
>
> David Roden
> EVDL Administrator
> http://www.evdl.org/

*Dalai Lama *

Tell me what it is you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver, "The summer day."

Thomas A. Edison<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasaed125362.html>

*Warren Buffet*

Michael E. Ross
(919) 550-2430 Land
(919) 631-1451 Cell
(919) 513-0418 Desk

[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Michael Ross
Lee,

There is definitely a place for a simple text editor.  But there are also
so very good tools.  Seems like each requires its own special patience.

I lock in things like simple schematics with a screen capture to an image
file.  Very dependable for the long run.  This would be perfect for the
little schematics you use a lot of. (Ctrl-Print Screen sends a bitmap to
the clipboard, I also have Snag-IT, and a very old and simple program
called LView Pro for capruting the screen and basic photo editing)

I have to pan your ASCII circuits - they don't reproduce well depending on
how you read it.  The last one you sent ... I couldn't make heads or tails
of it.

PDF outputs are also very good and everyone can read them.

On Mon Apr 21 09:48:36 PDT 2014 [hidden email] said:
>I have to pan your ASCII circuits - they don't reproduce well depending on
>how you read it.  The last one you sent ... I couldn't make heads or tails
>of it.

They look fine if you can tell your email program to use a Fixed Pitch Font.
(Of course, there are some brain-damaged email programs that don't give this option.)
For me it's just a right-click popup menu option in the msg.

--

Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Peter Eckhoff
I use a 2D graphing program called Grapher by Golden Software.  I used
it professionally on a number of occassions for creating flow charts,
diagrams, etc.  I bought my own copy and use it part to maintain my EV
wiring schematic and controller board layout.  This is commercial
software package but it has some advantages:

1)  I can group wires and components into functions such as head lights,
electronic motor (ICE) control wiring, horn, smart stick functions,
brakes, etc.

2) I can instantly turn off and on those various functions to see if any
of the wires should belong (not be cut or pulled) with respect to other
functions.

3) From the black and white shop manual, I have color coded wires based
on the shop manual labels so I don't go batty trying to trace out black
lines.  For instance, I have yellow wires with a white stripe and white
wires with a yellow stripe.  Not easy to see on white paper or a white
monitor back ground.  In order to see them, I lay down a wide black
base.  Then a white or yellow main color followed by a narrower black
base followed by a yellow or white stripe.

4)  The program allows me to add mid points, move points, delete points,
change wire widths so that green with a yellow stripe doesn't blur into
blue, etc.

5)  I can block select areas, then pick and choose an item to edit.

6) I had a 2' x  3' diagram printed at a nearby office supply store that
turned out well.

7)  I created a separate to scale layout of my controller board and all
the major pieces such as contactors, controller, pot box, Anderson
connectors, relays, wires, terminals, DC/DC converter, etc.  I assembled
the pieces as separate lines and curves and then combined them with
labels.  I cut the pieces out and moved them around by hand.  It helped
to create what I consider to be a well laid out controller board.

To me, the downside is that it is commercial $$oftware and I would love
to convert it to Open Source.  I have not found a format converter yet
nor a 2D program to take its place but have not looked lately.  I plan
on following up on suggestions here.

I have not posted either diagram publicly.  If interested in a PDF,
please email me off line. Suggestions for posting would be appreciated.

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

evan foss
I have been a very sold gEDA user for the last 10 years. I used to use
multisim and before that workbench. I switched because of the pricetag
and I felt the vendor lockin that Lee was referring too.

I export everything to postscript or PDF and an image format PNG or
JPEG. I figure anything that is a common format on the web will be
readable in the next few decades. If you want it to last longer than
that you must return to paper printouts on acid free not done on an
inkjet.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Peter Eckhoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use a 2D graphing program called Grapher by Golden Software.  I used it
> professionally on a number of occassions for creating flow charts, diagrams,
> etc.  I bought my own copy and use it part to maintain my EV wiring
> schematic and controller board layout.  This is commercial software package
> but it has some advantages:
>
> 1)  I can group wires and components into functions such as head lights,
> electronic motor (ICE) control wiring, horn, smart stick functions, brakes,
> etc.
>
> 2) I can instantly turn off and on those various functions to see if any of
> the wires should belong (not be cut or pulled) with respect to other
> functions.
>
> 3) From the black and white shop manual, I have color coded wires based on
> the shop manual labels so I don't go batty trying to trace out black lines.
> For instance, I have yellow wires with a white stripe and white wires with a
> yellow stripe.  Not easy to see on white paper or a white monitor back
> ground.  In order to see them, I lay down a wide black base.  Then a white
> or yellow main color followed by a narrower black base followed by a yellow
> or white stripe.
>
> 4)  The program allows me to add mid points, move points, delete points,
> change wire widths so that green with a yellow stripe doesn't blur into
> blue, etc.
>
> 5)  I can block select areas, then pick and choose an item to edit.
>
> 6) I had a 2' x  3' diagram printed at a nearby office supply store that
> turned out well.
>
> 7)  I created a separate to scale layout of my controller board and all the
> major pieces such as contactors, controller, pot box, Anderson connectors,
> relays, wires, terminals, DC/DC converter, etc.  I assembled the pieces as
> separate lines and curves and then combined them with labels.  I cut the
> pieces out and moved them around by hand.  It helped to create what I
> consider to be a well laid out controller board.
>
> To me, the downside is that it is commercial $$oftware and I would love to
> convert it to Open Source.  I have not found a format converter yet nor a 2D
> program to take its place but have not looked lately.  I plan on following
> up on suggestions here.
>
> I have not posted either diagram publicly.  If interested in a PDF, please
> email me off line. Suggestions for posting would be appreciated.

http://evanfoss.googlepages.com/
Work
http://forge.abcd.harvard.edu/gf/project/epl_engineering/wiki/

software for wiring drawing diagrams

R Willis

DesignSpark PCB  its free and easy to use

or this jem  PCBWiz  its drag and drop to but not free

Re: software for wiring drawing diagrams

Mike Nickerson
I almost hesitate to say this in public, but I drew my car's diagrams in
Visio.  I can get a full copy of all the MS Office products through my work
for not much more than shipping charges.

I drew up both schematic and wiring diagrams and included them in a Word
document for myself, future owners, and my mechanic.  It was kind of a
combination of an owner's manual and a shop manual.  How to drive it, how to
shift (clutchless manual transmission), how to disable high voltage, wiring
diagrams, etc.

I'm lucky to have a small mechanic shop that is willing to work on a
home-built vehicle.  I do most of the wiring and electrical support, but I
didn't feel like replacing the brakes or knowledgeable enough to rebuild the
transmission.

Mike