tesla to close stores, sell online only

Is Musk right - people are comfortable buying online?
Peri

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-to-close-stores-take-orders-for-a-35000-model-3/

Tesla will sell its electric cars only online as it accelerates its cost
cutting so it can realize its long-running goal of selling a mass-market
sedan for $35,000.
To save money, Tesla will close many of its stores, but leave some open
as galleries or “information centers” in high-traffic areas.
The online sales shift will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by
6 percent, on average, including its higher-end Model S and Model X.
Although he said going online-only was a difficult decision, Musk said
he believes it’s the right one. “It’s 2019,” he said. “People want to
buy things online.”
Although Musk said he didn’t know for certain, he predicted there’s
enough pent-up demand to sell about 500,000 Model 3s annually at the
starting price of $35,000.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

I assume they have looked at the percentage of orders they get online vs
at their local stores when they make this decision.

If the demand from online sales channels is already more than they can
manufacture, why bother keeping the regular stores? (other than as
service locations).

If I had a spare $35,000 sitting around I would have no problems buying
the base Model 3 online given their generous no questions asked money
back trial period.

Jay

On 3/1/19 10:41 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> Is Musk right - people are comfortable buying online?
> Peri
>
> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-to-close-stores-take-orders-for-a-35000-model-3/
>

> Tesla will sell its electric cars only online as it accelerates its cost
> cutting so it can realize its long-running goal of selling a mass-market
> sedan for $35,000.
> To save money, Tesla will close many of its stores, but leave some open
> as galleries or “information centers” in high-traffic areas.
> The online sales shift will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by
> 6 percent, on average, including its higher-end Model S and Model X.
> Although he said going online-only was a difficult decision, Musk said
> he believes it’s the right one. “It’s 2019,” he said. “People want to
> buy things online.”
> Although Musk said he didn’t know for certain, he predicted there’s
> enough pent-up demand to sell about 500,000 Model 3s annually at the
> starting price of $35,000.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

My wife and I have just ordered our Model 3. Hopefully it will be the last
car that we will buy.
Bobby Keeland

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:33 AM Jay Summet via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I assume they have looked at the percentage of orders they get online vs
> at their local stores when they make this decision.
>
> If the demand from online sales channels is already more than they can
> manufacture, why bother keeping the regular stores? (other than as
> service locations).
>
> If I had a spare $35,000 sitting around I would have no problems buying
> the base Model 3 online given their generous no questions asked money
> back trial period.
>
> Jay
>
> On 3/1/19 10:41 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> > Is Musk right - people are comfortable buying online?
> > Peri
> >

> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-to-close-stores-take-orders-for-a-35000-model-3/
> >

> > Tesla will sell its electric cars only online as it accelerates its cost
> > cutting so it can realize its long-running goal of selling a mass-market
> > sedan for $35,000.
> > To save money, Tesla will close many of its stores, but leave some open
> > as galleries or “information centers” in high-traffic areas.
> > The online sales shift will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by
> > 6 percent, on average, including its higher-end Model S and Model X.
> > Although he said going online-only was a difficult decision, Musk said
> > he believes it’s the right one. “It’s 2019,” he said. “People want to
> > buy things online.”
> > Although Musk said he didn’t know for certain, he predicted there’s
> > enough pent-up demand to sell about 500,000 Model 3s annually at the
> > starting price of $35,000.

Online-only> close Tesla store$, premium outlet lease$= headaches?

[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/tesla-to-close-stores-sell-online-only-tp4692960.html
tesla to close stores, sell online only
Mar 01 2019
]

http://fortune.com/2019/03/08/tesla-close-retail-stores-lawsuit-retail-landlords/
Tesla’s Cost-Saving Plan to Close Stores Hits a Legal Speed Bump: Its Retail
Landlords
March 8, 2019  Kevin Kelleher

Elon Musk’s plans to shut down most of Tesla’s retail stores may have been
intended to cut costs and help Tesla lower the price of its Model 3 electric
sedan to $35,000. Instead, it may expose the company to new headaches. The
latest, according to the Wall Street Journal: The risk of legal challenges
from its stores’ landlords.

Tesla leases many of its stores from the owners of shopping centers. Robert
Taubman, the CEO of Taubmen Centers—which leases space to Tesla in eight of
its properties—said at an investment conference this week that the electric
automaker “is going to owe a lot of landlords a lot of money.” Tesla has a
$1.6 billion in lease obligations, with $1.2 billion of that amount due
between now and 2023, the Journal reports.

In its securities filings, Tesla has previously warned of the risk that its
“various non-cancellable operating lease agreements” could lead to legal
battles should the company seek to terminate them. In that case, Tesla may
not be able to save as much money as Musk is hoping, and could be offset by
its legal bills.

Musk caught investors, customers, and even Tesla’s own employees off guard
when he announced the company would close stores. Some sales staff only
learned of the move when Tesla posted the news on its company blog. An
annual report published nine days before the announcement underscored the
importance of the stores to the company’s strategy, saying the network of
“highly visible, premium outlets… enables us to better control costs.” ...

Rather than being taken as a bold move that could help Tesla sell more cars,
the decision to shut down retail stores is seen by some investors as a
possible sign of financial desperation.

“This was a total 180-degree turn,” Alex Chalekian, the CEO of Lake Avenue
Financial in Pasadena, CA, told Bloomberg this week. “Tesla had been talking
about expanding stores, and all of a sudden they are closing them. To me,
this signals a huge financial concern and a possible cash-flow issue for
Tesla.”
[© fortune.com]

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-cost-saving-plan-close-001343766.html
Tesla’s Cost-Saving Plan to Close Stores Hits a Legal Speed Bump: Its Retail
Landlords
Robert Taubman, the CEO of Taubmen Centers—which leases space to Tesla in
eight of its properties—said at an investment conference this week that the
electric ... sell more cars ...

+
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/09/tesla-model-3-best-selling-electric-car-in-germany/
Tesla Model 3 = Best Selling Electric Car In Germany
March 9th, 2019
https://cleantechnica.com/files/2017/10/27-Paris-to-Poland-Tesla-Shuttle-Road-Trip.jpg

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

I think that Musk was smoking something.

Personally, I would NEVER buy a car without driving it (or at least sit in) first. The only exception would be for brand new clean technology vehicles that I *knew* I wanted - think EV1, RAV-4 EV,  Civic GX, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Mirai, Honda Clarity, etc.

But I’m an air quality guy, and an early adopter of these technologies.

Then again, for the ones that I did get, I did get to drive first. And my guess is that my wife would veto any car purchase without driving it first.

People like me that would buy a Tesla because of the technology, for the most part already have one.

We’re now starting to get into the mass market. I think it’s ridiculous to think that many people will buy online, at least to the extent that you need to be a successful company.

I really hope that I’m wrong, and that Musk has some research to back up this move.

My 2¢.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is Musk right - people are comfortable buying online?
> Peri
>
> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-to-close-stores-take-orders-for-a-35000-model-3/
>
> Tesla will sell its electric cars only online as it accelerates its cost cutting so it can realize its long-running goal of selling a mass-market sedan for $35,000.
> To save money, Tesla will close many of its stores, but leave some open as galleries or “information centers” in high-traffic areas.
> The online sales shift will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by 6 percent, on average, including its higher-end Model S and Model X.
> Although he said going online-only was a difficult decision, Musk said he believes it’s the right one. “It’s 2019,” he said. “People want to buy things online.”
> Although Musk said he didn’t know for certain, he predicted there’s enough pent-up demand to sell about 500,000 Model 3s annually at the starting price of $35,000.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

As I understand it, Tesla will drop off the car of your build at your
address to let you test drive it for a week. If you don’t like it, they’ll
come on by and pick it up.  Otherwise, it’s yours.

You don’t go to the dealer, the dealer comes to you.  Yeah, it’s
different.  Very different.  It’s going to take some getting used to
especially for us who grew up and have bought several cars the traditional
way.

Still, I’ve been seriously considering buying a Tesla because of their Long
Range models, charging times, and charging network.  How am I going to do
that now?

It’s going to separate the serious buyer from the not so serious to
frivolous car tester.

I hope they succeed.

Peter

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:40 PM Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think that Musk was smoking something.
>
> Personally, I would NEVER buy a car without driving it (or at least sit
> in) first. The only exception would be for brand new clean technology
> vehicles that I *knew* I wanted - think EV1, RAV-4 EV,  Civic GX, Tesla
> Roadster, Toyota Mirai, Honda Clarity, etc.
>
> But I’m an air quality guy, and an early adopter of these technologies.
>
> Then again, for the ones that I did get, I did get to drive first. And my
> guess is that my wife would veto any car purchase without driving it first.
>
> People like me that would buy a Tesla because of the technology, for the
> most part already have one.
>
> We’re now starting to get into the mass market. I think it’s ridiculous to
> think that many people will buy online, at least to the extent that you
> need to be a successful company.
>
> I really hope that I’m wrong, and that Musk has some research to back up
> this move.
>
> My 2¢.
>
> - Mark
>
> Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone
>
> > On Mar 1, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Peri Hartman via EV <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Is Musk right - people are comfortable buying online?
> > Peri
> >

> https://www.seattletimes.com/business/tesla-to-close-stores-take-orders-for-a-35000-model-3/
> >
> > Tesla will sell its electric cars only online as it accelerates its cost
> cutting so it can realize its long-running goal of selling a mass-market
> sedan for $35,000.
> > To save money, Tesla will close many of its stores, but leave some open
> as galleries or “information centers” in high-traffic areas.
> > The online sales shift will enable Tesla to lower all vehicle prices by
> 6 percent, on average, including its higher-end Model S and Model X.
> > Although he said going online-only was a difficult decision, Musk said
> he believes it’s the right one. “It’s 2019,” he said. “People want to buy
> things online.”
> > Although Musk said he didn’t know for certain, he predicted there’s
> enough pent-up demand to sell about 500,000 Model 3s annually at the
> starting price of $35,000.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

It is really no relevant since there is a test drive option on the web site and in addition Tesla says you can return in if you don’t like it up to 1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone

On 3/9/19 2:12 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
> I think that Musk was smoking something.
>
> Personally, I would NEVER buy a car without driving it (or at least sit in) first. The only exception would be for brand new clean technology vehicles that I *knew* I wanted - think EV1, RAV-4 EV,  Civic GX, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Mirai, Honda Clarity, etc.

That sounds similar to Koch FUD.  It is hard for me to believe that you
are not familiar with Tesla's path to success and their accomplishments.
You know no Tesla owners?

You ignore several factors, including the bullet proof guarantee Peter
describes.  Also, that Tesla has quite successfully already proven a
dealer network unnecessary.  Many states, including mine, prohibit
manufacturer owned dealerships; in those states, all sales have been and
continue to be online. With that experience, Tesla is well aware of the
value, or lack of value, of dealers.  As you should know, Tesla has
recruited owners to serve as a sales force.  For the most part, owners
are quite willing to serve without compensation though in the past they
have received some compensation.

Personal experience:  My first Tesla arrived in front of my house in
2013 on a car transporter.  I had never before SEEN a Tesla, much less
driven one.  I was not disappointed.  Indeed, I was thrilled and never
regretted the purchase.  I believe we ordered our Leaf in 2010 and took
delivery in 2011.  Sometime after the reservation, we we offered a
pre-purchase test drive in a demo but did not find the schedule
convenient.  Our first Leaf drive was in our own.  At the time we were
not disappointed.  Again, "thrilled" would be a good descriptor.  Coming
from a 150+ mile conversion with an amp-hour counter, I WAS disappointed
in the sorry Leaf instrumentation.  But, that was not a deal breaker.
It was two years before I discovered that Nissan had so screwed Leaf
buyers with a miserable short lived battery which they refused to support.

> But I’m an air quality guy, and an early adopter of these technologies.

Which adds to my surprise that you are so Tesla unaware.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

No, I’m not Tesla unaware, though not familiar with all the details that you mention. And I know several very happy owners.  I also have a nearby Tesla “store” at a local mall that I like to visit.

Your own experience would work fine for ME, though my wife may not go for it.

Putting aside the fact that the cars are gorgeous, what excites a guy like me is the zero tailpipe emission nature of the car.

But I’m not a normal consumer.

I do think that there are many normal consumers who will want an EV. For some of those, it may be icing on the cake, and not the primary reason for the purchase. And for those normal consumers, for the first time ever, they have CHOICE! Even among the Tesla’s.

Do I buy a Tesla 3? A Tesla S? A Chevy Bolt? A Toyota Mirai?

So what do people do? They compare them first hand.

Given your own state’s experience that prohibits the stores (and I wasn’t aware of it was done there), I wonder how sales in your state compares to one where there *are* stores.

Again, like everyone else, I hope that I am wrong. If I am not, I think they will become a takeover target.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2019, at 5:18 AM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/9/19 2:12 PM, Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
>> I think that Musk was smoking something.
>> Personally, I would NEVER buy a car without driving it (or at least sit in) first. The only exception would be for brand new clean technology vehicles that I *knew* I wanted - think EV1, RAV-4 EV,  Civic GX, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Mirai, Honda Clarity, etc.
>
> That sounds similar to Koch FUD.  It is hard for me to believe that you are not familiar with Tesla's path to success and their accomplishments. You know no Tesla owners?
>
> You ignore several factors, including the bullet proof guarantee Peter describes.  Also, that Tesla has quite successfully already proven a dealer network unnecessary.  Many states, including mine, prohibit manufacturer owned dealerships; in those states, all sales have been and continue to be online. With that experience, Tesla is well aware of the value, or lack of value, of dealers.  As you should know, Tesla has recruited owners to serve as a sales force.  For the most part, owners are quite willing to serve without compensation though in the past they have received some compensation.
>
> Personal experience:  My first Tesla arrived in front of my house in 2013 on a car transporter.  I had never before SEEN a Tesla, much less driven one.  I was not disappointed.  Indeed, I was thrilled and never regretted the purchase.  I believe we ordered our Leaf in 2010 and took delivery in 2011.  Sometime after the reservation, we we offered a pre-purchase test drive in a demo but did not find the schedule convenient.  Our first Leaf drive was in our own.  At the time we were not disappointed.  Again, "thrilled" would be a good descriptor.  Coming from a 150+ mile conversion with an amp-hour counter, I WAS disappointed in the sorry Leaf instrumentation.  But, that was not a deal breaker. It was two years before I discovered that Nissan had so screwed Leaf buyers with a miserable short lived battery which they refused to support.
>

>> But I’m an air quality guy, and an early adopter of these technologies.
>
> Which adds to my surprise that you are so Tesla unaware.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

At this point in their venture, it seems online sales will be fine.
After all, they have back orders they are struggling to meet, even for
the S, I think.

However, at some point when they have real competition and their
production has caught up, they may want to change their mind. Buying
cars, while not an impulse purchase, certainly relies on touchy-feely
appeal. Once a buyer sees a car, and a good sales person realizes the
"connection", there's a process you can't replicate online.

On 3/10/19 10:32 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
> At this point in their venture, it seems online sales will be fine.
> After all, they have back orders they are struggling to meet, even for
> the S, I think.

It seems to me, for the models now offered at the pricing levels, that
Tesla is well balancing supply and demand.  Demand generators will the
the $35k 3 and the Y.  With many more in the pipeline.  We all watch
with interest to see how it plays out.  I am very bullish on Tesla.  A
the same time, recognizing the risk.

> However, at some point when they have real competition and their
> production has caught up, they may want to change their mind. Buying
> cars, while not an impulse purchase, certainly relies on touchy-feely
> appeal. Once a buyer sees a car, and a good sales person realizes the
> "connection", there's a process you can't replicate online.

I doubt that it is quantified, but there certainly seems to be a GREAT
deal of dissatisfaction with new car dealers and the car buying
experience.  The jury, of course, is still out but personally I don't
think new car dealers will be missed.

On 3/10/19 9:40 AM, Mark Abramowitz wrote:

> I do think that there are many normal consumers who will want an EV. For some of those, it may be icing on the cake, and not the primary reason for the purchase. And for those normal consumers, for the first time ever, they have CHOICE! Even among the Tesla’s.
>
> Do I buy a Tesla 3? A Tesla S? A Chevy Bolt? A Toyota Mirai?
>
> So what do people do? They compare them first hand.

At this point in time, the case for buying a Tesla is just overwhelming.
  They have almost no competition.

> Given your own state’s experience that prohibits the stores (and I wasn’t aware of it was done there), I wonder how sales in your state compares to one where there *are* stores.

Perhaps Bruce will want to sus out some sales figures.  While not
rivaling California, I suspect Texas sales figures are pretty high.
Especially considering the lack of incentives that have been offered in
California, Colorado, Georgia, and some other states.  For several
years, Tesla has lobbied hard (and expensively) to get state government
to allow direct sales.  It is my opinion that Tesla has now taken the
attitude: "Screw 'em!  We will kill the dealer sales model".  And I wish
them the best.

On 3/10/19 6:51 AM, paul dove via EV wrote:
> It is really no relevant since there is a test drive option on the web site and in addition Tesla says you can return in if you don’t like it up to 1000 miles.

I'm not certain, but I THINK the deal is you take a test drive OR you
can return after purchase.

Incidentally, I don't think the change to online only has any impact in
Texas and other states with similar dealer favoritism.  The potential
customer has always been able to do test drives.  Two types of Tesla
brick and mortar facilities here: Service Centers where repair work is
done and Galleries where potential customers can view new cars, arrange
test drives, discuss features with Tesla personnel.  Just no arranging
sales, talking price, or payment.  However, Gallery people can guide the
potential customers through the ordering process on Tesla web connected
computers.  I believe Service Centers do not offer test drives.  It is
VERY easy for a potential customer to make connections to Tesla owners
for at least demonstration rides.

Typically, Service Centers outnumber Galleries.  Both currently are only
in larger towns.  Austin, Dallas/FtWorth/Plano, Houston.  I believe San
Antonio has only a Service Center.

I know from Tesla groups that there are at least a few owners in smaller
towns.  Lubbock, Texarkana, Victoria, etc.  Maybe 100+ miles from a
Service Center.  When sufficient demand develops, Tesla tends to put in
Service Centers at owner clusters.  Isolated (as well as not isolated)
owners are given extraordinary consideration when service is needed.
Ranger service even when the car can be driven and towing as well as
loaners.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

I agree that we won’t miss car dealers if they go away, as least if the experience is as it is now.

We call the gathering of salespeople waiting for you to get out of your car, the “sharks”. And there’s always one swimming out to get you.

I was amused when the Honda fleet person that I’ve bought from, who is not a shark, referred to the sales people as sharks one day when we chatted while my car was getting serviced.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/10/19 10:32 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
>> At this point in their venture, it seems online sales will be fine. After all, they have back orders they are struggling to meet, even for the S, I think.
>
> It seems to me, for the models now offered at the pricing levels, that Tesla is well balancing supply and demand.  Demand generators will the the $35k 3 and the Y.  With many more in the pipeline.  We all watch with interest to see how it plays out.  I am very bullish on Tesla.  A the same time, recognizing the risk.
>> However, at some point when they have real competition and their production has caught up, they may want to change their mind. Buying cars, while not an impulse purchase, certainly relies on touchy-feely appeal. Once a buyer sees a car, and a good sales person realizes the "connection", there's a process you can't replicate online.
>
> I doubt that it is quantified, but there certainly seems to be a GREAT deal of dissatisfaction with new car dealers and the car buying experience.  The jury, of course, is still out but personally I don't think new car dealers will be missed.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

Well, I won’t argue with someone who thinks that a product has “almost no competition”, though I disagree. But even among the Tesla’s, there is competition.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/10/19 9:40 AM, Mark Abramowitz wrote:
>>
>> I do think that there are many normal consumers who will want an EV. For some of those, it may be icing on the cake, and not the primary reason for the purchase. And for those normal consumers, for the first time ever, they have CHOICE! Even among the Tesla’s.
>> Do I buy a Tesla 3? A Tesla S? A Chevy Bolt? A Toyota Mirai?
>> So what do people do? They compare them first hand.
>
> At this point in time, the case for buying a Tesla is just overwhelming.  They have almost no competition.
>
>> Given your own state’s experience that prohibits the stores (and I wasn’t aware of it was done there), I wonder how sales in your state compares to one where there *are* stores.
>
> Perhaps Bruce will want to sus out some sales figures.  While not rivaling California, I suspect Texas sales figures are pretty high. Especially considering the lack of incentives that have been offered in California, Colorado, Georgia, and some other states.  For several years, Tesla has lobbied hard (and expensively) to get state government to allow direct sales.  It is my opinion that Tesla has now taken the attitude: "Screw 'em!  We will kill the dealer sales model".  And I wish them the best.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

 I drove a Model 3 dual motor and single this weekend.  I went to the dealer in Cleveland, OH with a coworker in his Model X dual motor!  That thing is awesome and accelerates like a rocket.  The dual motor Model 3 was very nice and had incredible performance.  Even the single motor Model 3 had excellent performance.  It was nice to drive both vehicles.  I currently have a 2014 Chevrolet Volt with 81K miles and it drives as nice as the Tesla, not the same performance, but I still drive most miles on pure electric.  I'm hoping the Volt gets another 100k miles and in 3-4 years I'll get a used Tesla model 3 for a discount.  I was not impressed with the autopilot, I still like to control my vehicle and it was kind of strange giving the vehicle control, I'm not a fan yet.

    On ‎Sunday‎, ‎March‎ ‎10‎, ‎2019‎ ‎08‎:‎09‎:‎40‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, Mark Abramowitz via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Well, I won’t argue with someone who thinks that a product has “almost no competition”, though I disagree. But even among the Tesla’s, there is competition.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/10/19 9:40 AM, Mark Abramowitz wrote:
>>
>> I do think that there are many normal consumers who will want an EV. For some of those, it may be icing on the cake, and not the primary reason for the purchase. And for those normal consumers, for the first time ever, they have CHOICE! Even among the Tesla’s.
>> Do I buy a Tesla 3? A Tesla S? A Chevy Bolt? A Toyota Mirai?
>> So what do people do? They compare them first hand.
>
> At this point in time, the case for buying a Tesla is just overwhelming.  They have almost no competition.
>
>> Given your own state’s experience that prohibits the stores (and I wasn’t aware of it was done there), I wonder how sales in your state compares to one where there *are* stores.
>
> Perhaps Bruce will want to sus out some sales figures.  While not rivaling California, I suspect Texas sales figures are pretty high. Especially considering the lack of incentives that have been offered in California, Colorado, Georgia, and some other states.  For several years, Tesla has lobbied hard (and expensively) to get state government to allow direct sales.  It is my opinion that Tesla has now taken the attitude: "Screw 'em!  We will kill the dealer sales model".  And I wish them the best.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

Here's my two cents on the subject of no dealers.  And I completely agree with the description of car dealers as sharks.  This is likely considered an upper middle class neighborhood and we drove into the lots in a brand new Nissan Rogue (the rental she had after the accident).  We were dressed neatly but casual.

A year and a half ago, my wife needed to replace a car after the insurance paid for her previous van that had gotten totaled in an accident.  In our city (a little less than 2 miles from home), there are four dealerships right next to each other - Chevy, Toyota, Ford & Dodge - in that order.  We started at Chevy and ended at Dodge.  By the time we finished at the Dodge place, we were tired of car shopping and went home for some dinner.  Over dinner, she decided on a Toyota Corolla, so we called the dealer and let him know that we would be coming back to see him shortly.  We came back up to lease the car for three years with the expectation that we will likely buy out the lease after the three years.

Everyone knew that we were expecting to lease a car that day.  The attitude in the dealerships were very different.  The Chevy guys were the closest to stereotypical car dealers.  They were doing everything they could to sell to us before we walked off the lot.  Very pushy.  On the other extreme were the Dodge that were not at all treating us seriously.  I don't think they expected to sell a car that day.  The Toyota guy was a nice as you could imagine and treated us completely with respect.

Within a 15 mile radius, there is dealership for almost every brand of cars that are available (excluding a few specialty brands).  The only cars that were considered were the ones that had a dealership close to home.  I somewhat expected her to want to visit a Nissan dealership because she really liked the Rogue that she was renting, but it was 10 miles in the other direction.  In case you are wondering, a Tesla model S was not even considered because of price and we could not wait for three months after ordering one.  The nearest Tesla store is about 20 miles away.

With all that said, there is no way I would buy any car without having driven on.  I have said for several years that I want a Model S so bad I can taste it, but other than seeing them on the road, I have never touched one.  Even if I won the lottery (I don't play), I would not buy one without driving one.  And no, I don't know anyone that has one.

Jim Walls

I agree that we won’t miss car dealers if they go away, as least if the experience is as it is now.

We call the gathering of salespeople waiting for you to get out of your car, the “sharks”. And there’s always one swimming out to get you.

I was amused when the Honda fleet person that I’ve bought from, who is not a shark, referred to the sales people as sharks one day when we chatted while my car was getting serviced.

- Mark

Sent from my Fuel Cell powered iPhone

> On Mar 10, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Willie via EV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 3/10/19 10:32 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
>> At this point in their venture, it seems online sales will be fine. After all, they have back orders they are struggling to meet, even for the S, I think.
>
> It seems to me, for the models now offered at the pricing levels, that Tesla is well balancing supply and demand.  Demand generators will the the $35k 3 and the Y.  With many more in the pipeline.  We all watch with interest to see how it plays out.  I am very bullish on Tesla.  A the same time, recognizing the risk.
>> However, at some point when they have real competition and their production has caught up, they may want to change their mind. Buying cars, while not an impulse purchase, certainly relies on touchy-feely appeal. Once a buyer sees a car, and a good sales person realizes the "connection", there's a process you can't replicate online.
>
> I doubt that it is quantified, but there certainly seems to be a GREAT deal of dissatisfaction with new car dealers and the car buying experience.  The jury, of course, is still out but personally I don't think new car dealers will be missed.

Re: tesla to close stores, sell online only

Good to hear.

It’s possible you will get a premium for your used Volt, as they are discontinuing it and has a large following.

Everyone I’ve heard from with a Bolt loves it, and there will be many more options out there when you are ready to part with your Bolt. The Tesla is setting a high bar, but you may find the market a whole new ball game when you are ready.

On 10 Mar 2019 at 19:27, jim--- via EV wrote:

> there is no way I would buy any car without having driven on.

At one time I would have heartily agreed with this sentiment.  But after
almost 5 decades of driving more different vehicles (owned, borrowed,
rented) than I can count, I've discovered that I can learn to live with a
lot of vehicle characteristics that I despised at first drive.

True, there are vehicle types and sizes that I just don't care to own.
FWIW, at the moment, Tesla doesn't offer a vehicle that I'd want.

But as long as I'm OK with an EV's energy storage and drive system, the
basic vehicle shape, functionality, and size, and the overall quality of
construction, I can adjust to almost anything else.  So I think that if I'd
read up sufficiently on a production EV and had a pretty good idea of what I
was getting into, I'd be entirely willing to order an EV on the web and have
it delivered. That would be ESPECIALLY true if the manufacturer offered to
take it back if I didn't like it.

First, I said (in part):
> there is no way I would buy any car without having driven on.

Then David Roden replied (in part):
> At one time I would have heartily agreed with this sentiment.  But after
almost 5 decades of driving more different vehicles (owned, borrowed,
rented) than I can count, I've discovered that I can learn to live with a
lot of vehicle characteristics that I despised at first drive.

There is certainly truth to that statement.  However one of the big ones would be if I fit in the vehicle.  I'm a fairly large guy, and for example, in my wife's Corolla, I practically have to fold myself in half to get in and out of it.  Although it's not bad once I'm in, but getting in and out is a royal pain.  There is no way that could be my daily vehicle.

73
-----
Jim Walls - K6CCC