tilting beds

Sam Shepherd
Has anyone used and gas cylinder helpers on their tilting beds and if so
where can I find some?
Thanks

Re: tilting beds

BBrown
Sam Shepherd wrote:

> Has anyone used and gas cylinder helpers on their tilting beds and if so
> where can I find some?
> Thanks

surpluscenter.com  has them

I picked up a pair of 24vdc linear actuators on ebay - 435# thrust each.
Hope to put them on tomorrow - then - "Open sesame"

Bob

Re: tilting beds

nicklogan

There's a good series of photos of a tilt bed conversion using the Surplus Center units at Wayne Anderson's site. I bought the 90# units as he recommends after he tried using ones with a lighter rating.

http://www.northrim.net/wyanders/ev/

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008073016110210&item=1-2795-A&catname=

Item# 1-2795-A

John Nicholson

Sam Shepherd wrote
Has anyone used and gas cylinder helpers on their tilting beds and if so
where can I find some?
Thanks

Re: tilting beds

Sa1-2
One other helpful thought I picked up on this subject. Someone mentioned
they used struts from EVamerica in their conversion as they were longer and
enabled the bed to be opened further than others.

Jerome Hansen
San Antonio, TX

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:16 PM, nicklogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's a good series of photos of a tilt bed conversion using the Surplus
> Center units at Wayne Anderson's site. I bought the 90# units as he
> recommends after he tried using ones with a lighter rating.
>
> http://www.northrim.net/wyanders/ev/
>

> http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008073016110210&item=1-2795-A&catname=
>
> Item# 1-2795-A
>

> John Nicholson
>

> Sam Shepherd wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone used and gas cylinder helpers on their tilting beds and if so
> > where can I find some?
> > Thanks

> Nabble.com.

Re: tilting beds

joe-22
I got a kit from Bob Batson, EV America. The kit is for an S-10, but fits
others with a little modification.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]
> Has anyone used and gas cylinder helpers on their tilting beds and if so
> where can I find some?
> Thanks
> 6:37 PM

Component Boards

Willis, Ben
What's a good, common, inexpensive material to use for my control/component board? I'll have the standard contactors, controller, fuses etc on my board but I'm not sure what material to source. I just don't think wood would be appropriate.

Thanks,
Ben
ANDERSON SCHOOL DISTRICT FIVE NOTICE: This email may contain business related information that is
PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this email in error, this does not
constitute permission to examine, copy or distribute the accompanying material.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately or call 864-260-5000.

Re: Component Boards

Peter VanDerWal
> What's a good, common, inexpensive material to use for my
> control/component board? I'll have the standard contactors, controller,
> fuses etc on my board but I'm not sure what material to source. I just
> don't think wood would be appropriate.

How about a large teflon cutting board (from Walmart, Target, a kitchen
supply store, etc.)?

Re: Component Boards

rodhower
Phenolic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/XX-Natural-Phenolic-Board-24-x-9-75-x-75-In-Glossy_W0QQitemZ130179968657QQihZ003QQcategoryZ36352QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Rod
--- "Willis, Ben" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's a good, common, inexpensive material to use
> for my control/component board? I'll have the
> standard contactors, controller, fuses etc on my
> board but I'm not sure what material to source. I
> just don't think wood would be appropriate.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
> ANDERSON SCHOOL DISTRICT FIVE NOTICE: This email may
> contain business related information that is
> PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this
> email in error, this does not
> constitute permission to examine, copy or distribute
> the accompanying material.
> If you receive this message in error, please notify
> the sender immediately or call 864-260-5000.

Re: tilting beds

Mike Golub-2
Are these designed so that the bed is empty?

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:06 PM, joe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got a kit from Bob Batson, EV America. The kit is for an S-10, but fits
> others with a little modification.
>
> Joseph H. Strubhar
>
> Web: www.gremcoinc.com
>
> E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Component Boards

Phil_Marino

How about polycarbonate? Probably 1/4 inch thick  depending on how big the board is and how much stuff is on it.

It's easy to cut and drill -  doesn't crack like plexiglass ( acrylic) and has a pretty high softening temperature.

Phil

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:37:52 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Component Boards
>
> Phenolic?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/XX-Natural-Phenolic-Board-24-x-9-75-x-75-In-Glossy_W0QQitemZ130179968657QQihZ003QQcategoryZ36352QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
>
> Rod
> --- "Willis, Ben" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What's a good, common, inexpensive material to use
> > for my control/component board? I'll have the
> > standard contactors, controller, fuses etc on my
> > board but I'm not sure what material to source. I
> > just don't think wood would be appropriate.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben
> > ANDERSON SCHOOL DISTRICT FIVE NOTICE: This email may
> > contain business related information that is
> > PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this
> > email in error, this does not
> > constitute permission to examine, copy or distribute
> > the accompanying material.
> > If you receive this message in error, please notify
> > the sender immediately or call 864-260-5000.

Re: Component Boards

jonglauser
I have put all my parts inside weather proof enclosures like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5200628903699642706
http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5201013002624924194
http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5212529436326038914

Previously everything was mounted on a 1/4" fiberglass board sitting
in the open and collecting dirt.

BTW I still have several of these enclosures available, contact me
off-list if interested

-Jon Glauser
http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: Component Boards

Willis, Ben
Jon,

Of the subject but how are you driving your accessories like PS pump?

Ben

Willis, Ben wrote:
> What's a good, common, inexpensive material to use for my control/component board? I'll have the standard contactors, controller, fuses etc on my board but I'm not sure what material to source. I just don't think wood would be appropriate.

Why not metal? That's the standard material for electrical panels.

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: Component Boards

BBrown
Lee Hart wrote:
> Willis, Ben wrote:
>
>> What's a good, common, inexpensive material to use for my control/component board? I'll have the standard contactors, controller, fuses etc on my board but I'm not sure what material to source. I just don't think wood would be appropriate.
>>

> Why not metal? That's the standard material for electrical panels.

I think I am only days from my first trip around the block - I used 1/2"
plywood. It is easy to work, a 24" x 48" piece of fairly nice surface
cost 10 bucks at Lowes.

I figure that (if an) when I ever got this project so it is "just so"
and I am perfectly happy with it, I will get something fancy like
polypropylene  or aluminum diamond plate, or...
As I was getting it to fit the first time in, I used a piece of
cardboard from a large box to cut a pattern, traced it in the ply.
A can of black rustoleum and it doesn't look too bad for a first time
around.
(Easy to fasten parts to as well - just poke a starter hole with an awl
and in goes the wood screw.)
Heavy parts (controller, high amp connectors, contactors) are fastened
down with bolts and nyloc nuts.
Bob

Re: Component Boards

Roger Heuckeroth
I'm surprised that more people don't mount their electrical equipment
in NEMA 4X type enclosures like Jon.  I definitely plan on it.  I plan
on putting my Zilla and Hairball in it to, because  I hear that they
are not really outdoor units.

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Jon Glauser wrote:

> I have put all my parts inside weather proof enclosures like this:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5200628903699642706
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5201013002624924194
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5212529436326038914
>
> Previously everything was mounted on a 1/4" fiberglass board sitting
> in the open and collecting dirt.
>
> BTW I still have several of these enclosures available, contact me
> off-list if interested
>
> -Jon Glauser
> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/555

Re: Component Boards

Willis, Ben
I wouldn't mind mounting everything BUT the controller in a box because of heat buildup. My controller at least is completely sealed end to end.

Ben

I'm surprised that more people don't mount their electrical equipment
in NEMA 4X type enclosures like Jon.  I definitely plan on it.  I plan
on putting my Zilla and Hairball in it to, because  I hear that they
are not really outdoor units.

On Jul 30, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Jon Glauser wrote:

> I have put all my parts inside weather proof enclosures like this:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5200628903699642706
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5201013002624924194
> http://picasaweb.google.com/jonGlauser/EVAdventures/photo#5212529436326038914
>
> Previously everything was mounted on a 1/4" fiberglass board sitting
> in the open and collecting dirt.
>
> BTW I still have several of these enclosures available, contact me
> off-list if interested
>
> -Jon Glauser
> http://jonglauser.blogspot.com
> http://www.evalbum.com/555

ANDERSON SCHOOL DISTRICT FIVE NOTICE: This email may contain business related information that is
PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received this email in error, this does not
constitute permission to examine, copy or distribute the accompanying material.
If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately or call 864-260-5000.

Re: Component Boards

Marty Mercer
This might help with controlling the heat with components and batteries. It
might also help those in need on cold days to warm batteries... Not for
everyone, but might just be the right ticket for some.

http://www.electracool.com/index.htm

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Willis, Ben <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I wouldn't mind mounting everything BUT the controller in a box because of
> heat buildup. My controller at least is completely sealed end to end.
>
> Ben

Marty Mercer
Sacramento, CA

Re: Component Boards

Willis, Ben wrote:
> I wouldn't mind mounting everything BUT the controller in a box
> because of heat buildup. My controller at least is completely sealed
> end to end.

Are you *sure* it's sealed? None of the popular controllers people
typically use in their EVs are sealed (Curtis, Zilla, Zapi, Alltrax,
etc.) They only *look* like they are sealed!

It is relatively straightforward to put the controller in a box, and
pass the heat out through the box but keep the electronics inside where
it is clean and dry.
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything

Randy at CanEV

wjdennis@qwest.net
Has anyone been in touch with Randy at CanEV lately?  I've been sending
him Emails, but haven't received a reply.

Bill Dennis

Re: Randy at CanEV

Nicolas Drouin
Hi Bill,
Yes, I spoke to him today.  Real busy out there.  He now has someone
at the phones taking orders, etc.  She can also push your email to the
top of the pile, if required.
Cheers,

-Nick