tractor conversion

fred ungewitter
I'm surprised to not see the subject of torque arise when discussing a suitable motor for a conversion of an ICE tractor. My limited understanding of tractors does mean more questions than answers. I've operated a couple that have a method for a fixed throttle setting, but almost always that setting is high, due to the need of such rpm from the ICE to operate the attached devices. Ground speed is relatively low, and that represents gearing, which in this example, means increased torque.

If one is pursuing a replacement electric motor, I would expect that horsepower means less than a specific torque at a given rpm. Electric motors provide good torque at low rpm compared to an ICE, yes? If a specific tractor had, for example, a 100 hp ICE, one would not have to have that amount of horsepower from the replacement electric motor, would one?

Just a thought or two...

Re: tractor conversion

EVDL Administrator
On 17 Jan 2014 at 12:09, fred wrote:

> If a specific tractor had, for example, a 100 hp ICE, one would not
> have to have that amount of horsepower from the replacement electric
> motor, would one?

The GE Elec-tracs had (IIRC) about a 3.5hp motor, which GE claimed gave the
same usable performance level as a 15hp gasoline engine.

Re: tractor conversion

Martin WINLOW
 Fred, I think you have a very valid point.  I am also concerned that to some people 'tractor' means a wee thing that tootles around cutting a large lawn and to others (myself included) a 'tractor' is a BIG machine capable of pulling at least a 4 bladed plough and would, indeed, have a good 100HP, probably diesel, engine.  I think the original post is leaning more in the direction of the latter scenario.  If so, then torque and the associated relevance of gearing/wheel size is could be very important.

The only full-size tractor 'EV' I have heard of is one powered by a fuel cell by New Holland.  Despite being a fossil fuel powered vehicle, really, there should still be useful information pertinent to this thread to be gained from it...

http://www.treehugger.com/cars/new-holland-unveils-farm-ready-hydrogen-fuel-cell-tractor.html

Enjoy...

On 17 Jan 2014, at 20:09, fred wrote:

> I'm surprised to not see the subject of torque arise when discussing a suitable motor for a conversion of an ICE tractor. My limited understanding of tractors does mean more questions than answers. I've operated a couple that have a method for a fixed throttle setting, but almost always that setting is high, due to the need of such rpm from the ICE to operate the attached devices. Ground speed is relatively low, and that represents gearing, which in this example, means increased torque.
>
> If one is pursuing a replacement electric motor, I would expect that horsepower means less than a specific torque at a given rpm. Electric motors provide good torque at low rpm compared to an ICE, yes? If a specific tractor had, for example, a 100 hp ICE, one would not have to have that amount of horsepower from the replacement electric motor, would one?

Re: tractor conversion

Hoegberg .

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:17:47 +0000
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] tractor conversion
>
>  Fred, I think you have a very valid point.  I am also concerned that to some people 'tractor' means a wee thing that tootles around cutting a large lawn and to others (myself included) a 'tractor' is a BIG machine capable of pulling at least a 4 bladed plough and

Some videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23yEIDbmc3U

- John

Re: tractor conversion

Willie2
On 01/18/2014 12:30 PM, Hoegberg wrote:
> Some videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23yEIDbmc3U

Very enticing!

Steve Clunn has been wanting to convert a tractor for me and I've been
reluctant so far.

The tractor type in the above video is known (by me) as a "high
clearance" (HC), or "cultivating" tractor.  They are generally in the
range of 10 to 30 hp.  Examples: Allis G, the Farmall Cub in the video,
Tuff Bilt.  I have a Japanese Iseki, badged as a IH 274, cultivating/HC
tractor.  About 30 hp diesel.  FAR too nice and useful a tractor to risk
converting.  I would like to have an electric cultivating tractor
similar to the G, the Cub, or Tuff Bilt.  If Steve does do a cultivating
tractor for me and it works out, I might then consider a larger
tractor.  For most farm tasks, I find 80-100 hp overkill.  I have two 50
hp and rarely use them. Though you do need at least 50 hp to run a hay
baler.  50 hp will run a 10' shredder easily.  I shred mostly with a 6'
shredder on a 35 hp tractor.  All my vegetable work is done one row at
at time so 50 hp is more than I need for any my plowing.

One factor complicating a conversion is that many agricultural tractors
use the engine block as a structural member; extracting the clutch
involves splitting the tractor.

The production EVs seem to have put the damper on car conversions.
Tractor conversions may still be attractive.

Re: tractor conversion

Steve Clunn-2
FROM: Willie2 <[hidden email]>

<Very enticing!

Steve Clunn has been wanting to convert a tractor for me and I've been
reluctant so far.>

I am working out here in B/CS Texas on the 18 Wheeler Project and the
Electrician has a tractor he is thinking of having me convert.  Life is
funny, I was excited about the 18 Wheeler Project, but when he brought the
tractor over with a blown diesel motor, it looked like the  "PERFECT"
candidate.  http://www.greenshedconversions.com/Pages/Projects.aspx
From what I have read about this tractor online, adding 600lbs would be a
good thing.   The 18 Wheeler Project is progressing, s l o w l y. The
Customers favorite words are..." Make it BEEFY"... LOL

--
Steve Clunn
Merging the best of the past with
www.Greenshedconversions.com

Re: tractor conversion

Buddy Mills @ Cox.net
I have restored a few ICE tractors.  In all the ones I have done, real
tractors, the motor and transmission is part, if not all of the chassis.  If
you remove the motor you will lose a lot of support.  Are  you planned on
using the existing motor somehow to retain the chassis support?

Re: tractor conversion

Thos True
Buddy,

We noticed that as well when we were first started planning our conversion.
Have decided to weld some sections of tube steel onto the adapter plate and
use it to help support the brush end of the motor as well (not unlike the
one at Sunrise).

-Tom

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Buddy Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have restored a few ICE tractors.  In all the ones I have done, real
> tractors, the motor and transmission is part, if not all of the chassis.
>  If
> you remove the motor you will lose a lot of support.  Are  you planned on
> using the existing motor somehow to retain the chassis support?

Remember, it is not that the glass is half empty, in reality, the glass is
merely twice the size that it needs to be! -TNT'82

Re: tractor conversion

Willie2
On 01/21/2014 07:38 PM, Thos True wrote:

> Buddy,
>
> We noticed that as well when we were first started planning our conversion.
> Have decided to weld some sections of tube steel onto the adapter plate and
> use it to help support the brush end of the motor as well (not unlike the
> one at Sunrise).
>
> -Tom
>

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Buddy Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have restored a few ICE tractors.  In all the ones I have done, real
>> tractors, the motor and transmission is part, if not all of the chassis.
>>   If
>> you remove the motor you will lose a lot of support.  Are  you planned on
>> using the existing motor somehow to retain the chassis support?

I mentioned that problem in an earlier message.  Of course, I can't be
certain that my messages are getting "out". :-(

I believe Steve semi-plans to build a steel cage (encasing the motor) to
replace the engine block.

Student's Ford 9N : tractor conversion (video)

brucedp5

Here is an interest item I found on this topic, a TV station's vidoe on Ag (agriculture) students' conversion of Ford tractor. Interesting that the video is from [15 Jul 2012], but their design had a solar roof ability ...

[dated]
[videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmzQHIA5MAw
KXII News - Electric Ford 9N Farm Tractor
scifialiengeek  Jul 14, 2012  kxii.com/news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeQTibiXFrU
Electric Ford 9N Farm Tractor Test Drives
scifialiengeek  Jul 15, 2012
Students taking turns driving the Electric Ford 9N Farm Tractor, they converted from gasoline to all electric drive. Project build photos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL18420DF30176E5A2
(more e-tractors)
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/2/225-ford-9n.html
Ford 9N specs

[dated]
http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/94878139.html
May 25, 2010  By: Josh Stevenson
[image] Student welding
BONHAM TX--While many of the top 5 automakers have dragged their feet when it comes to electric vehicles, one class at Bonham High School has gone full speed ahead with the technology. Over the past five months they have been working to breathe new life into one old ford.

With the turn of a switch, the tractor built by Bonham High School's Ag power and technology course is off and running, but you may notice something is missing; the engine noise.

"It originally had a four cylinder gas powered motor in it that made about thirty horsepower," said Clint Minnick, who teaches the class.

After six months of work by students the tractor has a lot more power and makes a lot less noise.

"This electric motor has about 60 horsepower," said Minnick.

In fact the old ford now has so much power; they had to reign in a few of those horses.

"We had to turn it down so we didn't mess up the drive line in the tractor,” said Minnick.

While the tractor isn't the first electric vehicle this class has built.it may be the most unique.

"It is pretty cool, I have never seen anything like it," said Student, Josh Cline.

While teachers like Clint Minnick help with the design, it is the students that do the fabricating and welding. Minnick says the project is helping students learn to innovate.

"The students are learning that they can use modern technology themselves," said Minnick.
[© 2014 Gray Digital Media]

http://farmhack.net/tools/electric-tractor-conversion
Electric tractor conversion
 ... Allis Chalmers model "G" tractor to run on an electric motor at http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/. This Farm Hack page serves as a repository for new information, modifications, add-ons, and useful advice on these conversions ...
[image
http://farmhack.net/sites/default/files/47th%20G%20in%20field.JPG

video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOY5jLW4qc
VersaLand Farm Electric Tractor - Allis G Conversion
VersaLand.com  Dec 10, 2012
http://www.versaland.com/2012/06/24/electric-tractor/
https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=electric+farm+tractor+conversion
electric farm tractor conversion