what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Dmiles33810

A few thoughts about choice of EV  donor cars, as you may have noticed I have
a lot of Ideas, I live in Florida,  and I have lived in Western Oregon, and
in both those places, (and I am sure in  many others,) little or no snow means
no road salt to rot car bodies away in two  or three years! So if you live in
the snow belt and your state salts the  highways please buy a donor vehicle
somewhere else. (Just an old mans word to  the wise…)
If one is going to restore a  vehicle , and add a completely new drive train,
then I am going to Restore a  “Classic” or an “Antique” or something very “
Interesting” I want to turn heads,  To throw $9,000 to $15,000 into a car from
1993 worth $300 makes little sense to  me. I see me in a 1949 or 1950 Mercury
with dropped roofline and polished disk  wheel covers.  Or in a 1955
Thunderbird, if I can find a frame and body and no engine as a “Parts car.”  Even a
1956 Cadillac with tailfins up to  there!  Or a 1948 Packard  Hearse.  Or a
wonderful “Classic”  Hot Rod with a fiberglass “T-Bucket” on a C-10 frame with
TWO Electric motors  out front where they can be seen, (Like 1966  Award
winning Hot  Rod “Freight Train” which put two 327 Chevy V-8's under the
elongated  hood.) And put the Batteries in body work boxes inside the frame under the
“T-Bucket” body.
I would also LOVE to convert a  1955 or 1956 Chevy, or a Newer sedan, to a
Modern Electric, and set it up so the  Front (Hood, Grill, and Front Fenders,)
all lifted off, along with the Rear,  (Trunk Lid, Rear fenders,) to show the
Battery Boxes, The Motor, The Electronic  Assemblies, such as the Controller and
Charger system.  With the covers on, it’s a daily  commuter to work or
school.  With  the covers off, It’s a Parade Electric Vehicle to show what WE ARE
ALREADY  DOING! And useful as a display to increase interest and awareness of
the public  and press of the existence of “Converted E, V.'s” at Public, Club,
or Private  EVents! We always need more “Newbies,” so we can help them with
their own  conversions, or to convert a vehicle for them !
If you haven’t already done so,  check out Jay Leno’s Garage and his 1908
Baker Electric.  With Tiller steering, and a 25mph top  speed it was a beautiful
Ladies Neighborhood E. V., with beveled edge plate  glass windows, and a
crystal bud vase inside. Jay has had it beautifully  restored and the motors
rebuilt (48 v. I think,) running it on eight 6v. golf  cart batteries. And he shows
those details too!
I  hope none of you are offended that I have opinions, but, like some of
you, “Everyone is entitled to my opinion!”   Also the piece about vacationing
with an EV and a Solar recharging setup was intended strictly Tongue in  Cheek.
We all need a good laugh once in a while, some of you are just too  serious
about CORRECTING others. Climb down off that Dunce stool, and join the  class,
we all “Tune in to Learn” not to be criticized !

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Dave King
I wonder if you could get a tax credit for a 56 Caddy NEV? ;-] You realize that’s when they
actually used real metal in building those monsters. I bet just one tail fin weighs more than
a Prius ;-]

Actually was talking along the same lines a few days ago but using a woody wagon.
Be cool and use no fuel ;-]

Dave
(up way too late)

[...]

Nicolas Drouin

Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Faile
I was traveling through Indian land, NC yesterday afternoon on my way home
when I spotted a very small car. As I got closer I noticed that it was a
Smart 2 seater car. I have heard that some of these with gas engines were
being sold so I started looking at the vehicle real close. Neither my wife
nor I could see any signs of a tail pipe or an exhaust system anywhere on
the rear of the car. I looked as closely as I could traveling around 55 mph
in heavy traffic but I could not see any sign that this was the gas version.
Then the car moved over to the right turning lane and I pulled up beside of
it. As we were driving beside of the vehicle I could not detect any noise
coming from the vehicle that would signified that it was the ICE version. I
am almost convinced that this was one of the new Smart Fortwo ED versions
that are all electric. I was tempted to turn around and try to follow the
car to see where it went but traffic was too heavy and I knew that it would
be gone by the time that I could get turned around. I have researching the
internet but I can not find where these cars are being sold yet in the US.
Does anyone else have any information on this car? It was staying up with
traffic easily even though we were traveling around 55 to 60 mph. It was a
great looking little 2 seater car and I would love to get more information
on how to get one and what the cost would be.

Thanks, Freddie

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/899

http://www.southernev.com

If one is going to restore a vehicle , and add a completely new drive

train,

then I am going to Restore a "Classic" or an "Antique" or something very "

Interesting" I want to turn heads,

Just one hotrod project, from a veteran EV'r:

http://www.evconsultinginc.com/34ford.html

Personally, I need a bit more daily drivability, so I've opted for a Karmann

Ghia: An affordable head turner on a sensible frame which has been converted

often.

Good luck with your projects. But do be careful with humour, overstating

the capabilities of an EV is a disservice to the community. Some people

still believe everything they read!

Cheers,

-Nick

www.evalbum.com/1890

  _____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter for Personal use.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!

The Trial and Professional version does not have this message in the email

Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Faile
Sorry, I hit the “Send button too soon on my last message.  I have found in
the past that my emails go though to the Evlist quicker if I just reply to
one of the last messages that I received instead of sending a completely new
message.  I meant to delete all of the previous email but I got in too much
of a early as I was getting ready to go to church.  Please ignore the latter
part of my previous message.  The text below is what I meant to send.

Thanks, Freddie

[...]

Dave Davidson-2
A couple of thoughts - some of the collectibles you mentioned are quite valuable (expensive) even as parts cars.  Also, they can be extremely heavy.  However, I like your idea of an older Merc or other custom along the lines of George Barris or Ed Roth.  However, I don't think you could get enough range to use one of these as a daily driver.  It would be strictly a parade/show car.

On the plus side, with a real frame, I bet they could carry a lot of battery weight.  One reason why compact pickups are popular conversions.

Another option you should consider is to use a kit car.  A T-bucket or Model A repro on a tube frame could be light and a real head turner.  You can select components to carry whatever weight you want.  I've thought a Cobra kit car using a drive train similar to the White Zombie would be a blast to drive.

If you want an original car and not a reproduction, and have plenty of cash, start watching the ads, especially in California.  If our economy stays in the tank for a while, you can probably pick up someone's partially done restoration for less than what they have in it and have a head start.

Also, a smaller car such as a Henry J/Allstate or Nash Metropolitan could be made into an unusual daily driver.

Welll, those are my somewhat scattered thoughts, for what they're worth.

Dave

> [...]
> Ladies Neighborhood E. V., with beveled edge plate  glass windows, and a
> crystal bud vase inside. Jay has had it beautifully  restored and the motors
> rebuilt (48 v. I think,) running it on eight 6v. golf  cart batteries. And he shows
> those details too!
> I  hope none of you are offended that I have opinions, but, like some of
> you, “Everyone is entitled to my opinion!”   Also the piece about vacationing
> with an EV and a Solar recharging setup was intended strictly Tongue in  Cheek.
> We all need a good laugh once in a while, some of you are just too  serious
> about CORRECTING others. Climb down off that Dunce stool, and join the  class,
> we all “Tune in to Learn” not to be criticized !
> **************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.
> Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

joe-22
There's one here in Woodburn; I think it is the gas version.

Joseph H. Strubhar

Web: www.gremcoinc.com

E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Chris

If I didn't already have a body I'd have gone with an old delivery van
fiberglass repo like this
http://www.willyshotrods.com/33sedan.htm
or  somethng like this
http://www.kitcarmag.com/projectbuild/0601kc_1941_ford_willy_replica/photo_04.html

Stub

nicolas drouin wrote:

> [...]

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

shred
Here is a some information in video on the Smart Car EV made by Hybrid Technologies for Sam's Club.
http://www.brand45.com/ht-cbs2.wmv
shred

fhartsell wrote
[...]

Adrian DeLeon
I've always wanted to make a kit car version of a '53 MG. Nothing like a
2-door saloon convertible! Converting an original probably isn't
reasonable due to availability and cost (and the angry mob of collectors
who will come after you), but a kit version could be made very light, and
has lots of room up front for a battery tunnel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_T-type#TF

The original is about 12' long, 50-60 BHP, 0-60 in about 20s, 26MPG. No
idea what the weights is.

-Adrian

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:00:16 -0700, Dave Davidson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A couple of thoughts - some of the collectibles you mentioned are quite
> valuable (expensive) even as parts cars.  Also, they can be extremely
> heavy.  However, I like your idea of an older Merc or other custom along
> the lines of George Barris or Ed Roth.  However, I don't think you could
> get enough range to use one of these as a daily driver.  It would be
> strictly a parade/show car.

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Doug Weathers

On Oct 12, 2008, at 2:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> If one is going to restore a  vehicle , and add a completely new drive
> train,
> then I am going to Restore a  “Classic” or an “Antique” or something
> very “
> Interesting” I want to turn heads

Tastes differ.  I like small sports cars myself rather than big
American iron.  But go for it!  You're sure to turn some heads.

Be warned that EVs cost by the pound, and you don't get quantity
discounts unless you're buying ten or more.  If I were you I'd try to
get some idea of what it will cost before spending any money on it.
Unless you have unlimited funds, of course.

I'm fortunate that my own desires are more aligned with my budget.  I
couldn't afford a two-ton EV.

--
Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Dave King
That's exactly what I was looking for was a repo fibreglass Willy's body or
Ford.
Sort of blows the budget unfortunately which is a bugger. I'd rather not
play
with an original steel body because of the weight and the fact it is
original.
Some of those bodies done up with new wheels etc still look so slick after
all
these years.

When I win the lotto ;-]

Dave

On Oct 12, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Dave King wrote:

> That's exactly what I was looking for was a repo fibreglass Willy's
> body or
> Ford.
> Sort of blows the budget unfortunately which is a bugger.

Is this one less expensive?

<http://www.rodster.com/>

--
Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad
http://www.gdunge.com/ |

Or mabye it was one of these Flybo  XFD-6000ZK Smart Car copies.
Ebay Item number: 320309869439

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Bob Martin-4
Hey! I was thinking about a '41 Willys PU because they make a kit that fits
on an S10 donor and there is an EV conversion for an S10 so This would be a
great $20K project. I just ain't got the dough. We need some cool electric
streetrods. All I can afford is motorcycle conversions. Bob
> On Oct 12, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Dave King wrote:
>
>> That's exactly what I was looking for was a repo fibreglass Willy's
>> body or
>> Ford.
>> Sort of blows the budget unfortunately which is a bugger.
>
> Is this one less expensive?
>
> <http://www.rodster.com/>
>
> --
> Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
> Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad
> http://www.gdunge.com/ |

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Zeke Yewdall
I've got a friend with two MGs... a 50's one, and a 79.  We've thought about
making the '79 into an EV a few times, since the engine keeps overheating.
Personally, I like the 70's mini pickups, hence my choice of a '74 Courier
for my conversion.  The old Series II landrovers like EV wilde has are also
pretty cool.  As are the old pickups from the 20's and 30's.  Or you could
do a Lada Niva :)

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Adrian DeLeon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've always wanted to make a kit car version of a '53 MG. Nothing like a
> 2-door saloon convertible! Converting an original probably isn't
> reasonable due to availability and cost (and the angry mob of collectors
> who will come after you), but a kit version could be made very light, and
> has lots of room up front for a battery tunnel.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_T-type#TF
>
> The original is about 12' long, 50-60 BHP, 0-60 in about 20s, 26MPG. No
> idea what the weights is.
>
> -Adrian
>
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:00:16 -0700, Dave Davidson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > A couple of thoughts - some of the collectibles you mentioned are quite
> > valuable (expensive) even as parts cars.  Also, they can be extremely
> > heavy.  However, I like your idea of an older Merc or other custom along
> > the lines of George Barris or Ed Roth.  However, I don't think you could
> > get enough range to use one of these as a daily driver.  It would be
> > strictly a parade/show car.

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Chris
I'm not sure which kit you are talking about but the one that bonds a
fiberglass clip to the S-10 cab isn't all that great looking in person.
The scale is just off, It looks like a basterd S10 rather than a well
fitting repo body.
On the other hand, the full fiberglass body made to fit S-10 or Ranger frame
looks great.

Stub

Bob Martin wrote:

> Hey! I was thinking about a '41 Willys PU because they make a kit
> that fits on an S10 donor and there is an EV conversion for an S10 so
> This would be a great $20K project. I just ain't got the dough. We
> need some cool electric streetrods. All I can afford is motorcycle
> conversions. Bob ----- Original Message -----

Chris do you have a link for the full body ? The flat box sides
really don't look right as you say on that kit.

Dave

Bob Martin wrote:

> Hey! I was thinking about a '41 Willys PU because they make a kit
> that fits on an S10 donor and there is an EV conversion for an S10 so
> This would be a great $20K project. I just ain't got the dough. We
> need some cool electric streetrods. All I can afford is motorcycle
> conversions. Bob ----- Original Message -----

I guess this isn't quite what you were thinking of, but here are some of the
vehicles I've dreamed of converting over the years (but never really
followed up on) :

= Saab Sonnet
= Volvo P1800
= Datsun 1600
= Fiat 850 Spyder
= Opel GT

Though I drive like your grandfather ;-), I have a soft spot in my heart for
nimble, sexy small cars.

I could go on.  There are probably dozens more in the boxier / more
practical second tier - original Mini, Austin 1300 (America), Simca 1100,
Opel Kadett coupe, Fiat 500, etc.  Corvair, of course.  Oooh, Nash
Metropolitan!  Crosley Hotshot!

Most of these are quite small and light, so should be relatively easy to
convert with modest running gear, and don't require a ton of batteries for
good range.  And (IMO) they look interesting and distinctive.

Some of the above have been converted that I know of -- Fiat 500s and 850s,
Opel GTs and Kadetts.  Others no doubt that I don't know of.

If you were thinking of a Detroit product, how about a 1962-64 Corvette
Convertible?

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Hank Gagnon
There is a yellow ICE version driving around the Tyngsbor, MA area.

The smart for two ONLY gets 40mpg. Which defeats the purpose of purchasing
such a small vehicle. There are quite a few ICE cars that seat more than two
and get close to 40mpg. The American Big Three and Big Oil just don't get
it. Toyota and Honda continue to embarass them by giving Americans what we
need.

I was always was a buy American person. That is over now. I have  2006 (4)
cylinder Ford Ranger right now which was fine when gas was under 2.50 a
gallon (Average 26mpg). My next vehicle will be a Honda or  Toyota Hybrid or
a PHEV. Fuck the Bu_ _ administration, Big Oil, Chen_ _, and the Big Three
American Auto manufactures. They are not for whats better for America, they
are for themselves. They are treasoness traitors.

Hank