what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Chris
I think you sensored the wrong words :-)

Hank Gagnon wrote:

> There is a yellow ICE version driving around the Tyngsbor, MA area.
>
> The smart for two ONLY gets 40mpg. Which defeats the purpose of
> purchasing such a small vehicle. There are quite a few ICE cars that
> seat more than two and get close to 40mpg. The American Big Three and
> Big Oil just don't get it. Toyota and Honda continue to embarass them
> by giving Americans what we need.
>
> I was always was a buy American person. That is over now. I have
> 2006 (4) cylinder Ford Ranger right now which was fine when gas was
> under 2.50 a gallon (Average 26mpg). My next vehicle will be a Honda
> or  Toyota Hybrid or a PHEV. Fuck the Bu_ _ administration, Big Oil,
> Chen_ _, and the Big Three American Auto manufactures. They are not
> for whats better for America, they are for themselves. They are
> treasoness traitors.
>
> Hank

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

BBrown
I agree with Chris, I too do not appreciate either the sentiment or the
language
Always figured that those who need to speak thus are of limited
vocabulary and intellect.
Bob

Chris Stephens wrote:

> I think you sensored the wrong words :-)
>

> Hank Gagnon wrote:
>
>> There is a yellow ICE version driving around the Tyngsbor, MA area.
>>
>> The smart for two ONLY gets 40mpg. Which defeats the purpose of
>> purchasing such a small vehicle. There are quite a few ICE cars that
>> seat more than two and get close to 40mpg. The American Big Three and
>> Big Oil just don't get it. Toyota and Honda continue to embarass them
>> by giving Americans what we need.
>>
>> I was always was a buy American person. That is over now. I have
>> 2006 (4) cylinder Ford Ranger right now which was fine when gas was
>> under 2.50 a gallon (Average 26mpg). My next vehicle will be a Honda
>> or  Toyota Hybrid or a PHEV. Fuck the Bu_ _ administration, Big Oil,
>> Chen_ _, and the Big Three American Auto manufactures. They are not
>> for whats better for America, they are for themselves. They are
>> treasoness traitors.
>>
>> Hank

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Dave King
The problem is the US only got the gas Smart (AFAIK), it's the TDI one that
is
the one that is frugal with fuel. That little diesel can get over 100mpg at
highway speeds (nice flat prairie roads though).

The gas ones might make a good candidate for conversion to electric. That
would be ironic as the original design came out of Florida as an EV.

Dave

There is a yellow ICE version driving around the Tyngsbor, MA area.

The smart for two ONLY gets 40mpg. Which defeats the purpose of purchasing
such a small vehicle. There are quite a few ICE cars that seat more than two

and get close to 40mpg. The American Big Three and Big Oil just don't get
it. Toyota and Honda continue to embarass them by giving Americans what we
need.

I was always was a buy American person. That is over now. I have  2006 (4)
cylinder Ford Ranger right now which was fine when gas was under 2.50 a
gallon (Average 26mpg). My next vehicle will be a Honda or  Toyota Hybrid or

a PHEV. Fuck the Bu_ _ administration, Big Oil, Chen_ _, and the Big Three
American Auto manufactures. They are not for whats better for America, they
are for themselves. They are treasoness traitors.

Hank

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

billb-3

Hi All,
   I totally agree about classic conversions, " Or a 1948 Packard
Hearse" I feel the same , why use a average run of the mill donor car,
here in Reno I am 3/4 of the way into the conversion of a 1973
Cadillac Hearse, yep a hearse! plenty of room for batteries under the
deck. I am using a G-van drive train with the Chloride controller
(excellent regen) powered by 36 saft stm 180 nicads. I think the
weight will be under 7000 a little lighter than the original G-van.
Already bought the brushless dc air cond. system and the 12 volt power
steering pump and diesel fueled heater are installed, the big Nelco
motor and 1 ton diff. are in. waiting to powder coat all the battery
racks and misc pieces. then a bunch or wiring and a million details
await. If I am lucky I will be driving it by next Halloween.  Bill
Brinsmead

> [...]

> a car from
> 1993 worth $300 makes little sense to  me. I see me in a 1949 or 1950 Mercury
> with dropped roofline and polished disk  wheel covers.  Or in a 1955
>  Thunderbird, if I can find a frame and body and no engine as a
> ?Parts car.?  >Even a
> 1956 Cadillac with tailfins up to  there!  Or a 1948 Packard  Hearse.  Or a
> wonderful ?Classic?  Hot Rod with a fiberglass ?T-Bucket? on a C-10
> frame with
> TWO Electric motors  out front where they can be seen, (Like 1966  Award
> winning Hot  Rod ?Freight Train? which put two 327 Chevy V-8's under the
> elongated  hood.) And put the Batteries in body work boxes inside
> the frame >under the ?T-Bucket? body.
> I would also LOVE to convert a  1955 or 1956 Chevy, or a Newer sedan, to a
> Modern Electric, and set it up so the  Front (Hood, Grill, and Front

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Mark Grasser
The smart car came originally out of Florida???

I'd swear it was designed be the Swatch company and manufactured by
Mercedes.

I saw them in droves when I started going to Taiwan eight years ago.

Mark Grasser
Eliot, ME

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Dave King
What came out of Florida wasn't the Smart as we know it. It was a NEV out
of Coral Gables I think (someplace in Florida warm sunny and occasionally
windy).
At that point Swatch purchased one to use as an design point and it went
euro and
was changed to the TDI. I saw pictures of the original nev and you can see
the obvious
similarities. I would doubt much of that nev actually made it into what we
now see as
the Smart. Frame and other safety stuff would all be changed.

I'm sure I'll remember the nev company name about 3 seconds after I turn my
laptop off. ;-]

Dave

The smart car came originally out of Florida???

I'd swear it was designed be the Swatch company and manufactured by
Mercedes.

I saw them in droves when I started going to Taiwan eight years ago.

Mark Grasser
Eliot, ME

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

David Dymaxion
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "as silent as death!"

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Evan Tuer
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What came out of Florida wasn't the Smart as we know it. It was a NEV out
> of Coral Gables I think (someplace in Florida warm sunny and occasionally
> windy).
> At that point Swatch purchased one to use as an design point and it went
> euro and
> was changed to the TDI. I saw pictures of the original nev and you can see
> the obvious
> similarities. I would doubt much of that nev actually made it into what we
> now see as
> the Smart. Frame and other safety stuff would all be changed.
>
> I'm sure I'll remember the nev company name about 3 seconds after I turn my
> laptop off. ;-]

I wouldn't try too hard, I'm pretty sure every statement you've made
there is wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Folks, please remember that the EVDL is not for discussing ICEVs --
including fuel efficiency.  For those discussions, you might try the
outstanding forum,  gassaves.org (some of our members also participate
there).

Also, please refrain from making any kind of partisan political comments.
EVER.  ABOUT ANYONE, OR ANY PARTY.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Sorry.  I'm done shouting now.  ;-)

If someone violates these rules and posts something inappropriate, please
don't respond.  Just delete it.  Please let me handle the off-topic posts
privately.

Read the rules :

http://evdl.org/help/index.html#conv

Also please read :

http://evdl.org/help/index.html#modr

Thanks.

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Dave King
Wikipedia is a just a "little" light on the development details.
Swatch bought a nev from Florida to use as a development prototype.
Do a google its on the net.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Dave King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What came out of Florida wasn't the Smart as we know it. It was a NEV out
> of Coral Gables I think (someplace in Florida warm sunny and occasionally
> windy).
> At that point Swatch purchased one to use as an design point and it went
> euro and
> was changed to the TDI. I saw pictures of the original nev and you can see
> the obvious
> similarities. I would doubt much of that nev actually made it into what we
> now see as
> the Smart. Frame and other safety stuff would all be changed.
>
> I'm sure I'll remember the nev company name about 3 seconds after I turn
my
> laptop off. ;-]

I wouldn't try too hard, I'm pretty sure every statement you've made
there is wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Glen Hoag
Since the sighting was in NC and Hybrid Technologies is in
Mooresville, NC, it's possible that is what he spotted.

I looked at the Hybrid Technologies web site; it seems long on hype
and short on detail.
<http://www.hybridtechnologies.com>

--Glen

At 08:24 PM 10/12/2008, shred <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Here is a some information in video on the Smart Car EV made by Hybrid
>Technologies for Sam's Club.
>http://www.brand45.com/ht-cbs2.wmv
>shred
>
>Or mabye it was one of these Flybo  XFD-6000ZK Smart Car copies.
>Ebay Item number: 320309869439
>--
>at Nabble.com.

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Doug Weathers

On Oct 13, 2008, at 2:31 PM, billb wrote:

> Already bought the brushless dc air cond. system

This has been a frequent topic on the EVDL.  Could you tell us more
about the system you chose?

--
Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Dan Bentler
I intend to convert 56 Chev pickup will drive with AC 3 phase.
Will do hum drum 91 Izuzu as test project prototype.

Dan Bentler

> On Oct 13, 2008, at 2:31 PM, billb wrote:
>
> > Already bought the brushless dc air cond. system
>
> This has been a frequent topic on the EVDL.  Could you tell
> us more
> about the system you chose?
>
> --
> Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been
> there.  It's super!"
> Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles
> "Pete" Conrad
> http://www.gdunge.com/ |

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to say that the Smart is based on an
NEV, though it might depend on how you define "NEV."

Nicolas Hayek, the man behind Swatch, began developing the car which
eventually became the Smart 'way back in 1989.  That was well before any of
the NEVs was available.  Bombardier launched their NEV, the first of the
breed, in 1996; GEM was founded late in 1997.

Of course there were EVs which were slow speed vehicles long before the
Bombardier was introduced.  The Citicar originated in the mid-70s, I think
in 1974.  The Elcar appeared at about the same time or a bit later.  There
were many other small EV prototypes, too, but none of them was offically
designated an NEV and I don't know of any others that actually made it to
market.

The Citicar was made in Sebring, Florida.  I suppose it could be the vehicle
Hayek examined.  If it were built today, it would almost certainly be
classified as an NEV, though it was titled as a regular passenger car in its
time.

I would kind of hope that Hayek would have examined something a bit more
sophisticated, though.  The Citicar was pretty crude, really just a golf car
with an enclosed body and basic safety equipment.  I can say this with
assurance, having once owned a later version of the Citicar (a 1980 Comuta-
Car).

At any rate, Hayek designed the Swatch Mobil to be a round-town grocery
getter.  The space behind the two seats was sized to fit a case of beer.
(Really!)  An ICE was emphatically NOT included as part of the original
conception.  It was to have been a pure battery EV.

However by the early 90s Hayek had formed a partnership with Volkswagen.
Their participation resulted in a series hybrid prototype using wheel motors
and a 250cc ICE.  I recall reading a test of this hybrid prototype but I
don't remember where.  Nor do I have specifics on the size of the battery --
but I'm fairly sure that like the batteries in the current factory hybrids
it wasn't intended to power the vehicle on its own, rather to provide the
torque (current) needed for acceptable acceleration.

BTW, it may have been this venture which led VW to suggest early in the
development of the New Beetle (then the Concept 1) that the NB would be
launched with Diesel-electric hybrid and pure BEV drivetrains as options (we
all know how THAT turned out).  But I digress.

Hayek's relationship with VW fell apart in 1993 and eventually he climbed
into bed with Diamler-Benz.  Diamler dispensed with the EV and hybrid
concepts altogether and fitted an ICE into the back.  A few years later,
Hayek sold his remaining 19% interest in the venture to Diamler, effectively
burying his original idea of an affordable, "green," purpose-built battery
EV town car.

So, the long and short of it is that what we call the Smart car was
originally designed to be an EV, and though it was probably not patterned on
any "offical" NEV, it was almost certainly influenced by some of the many
prototype and limited production small EVs of the 1970s and 1980s.

Thus, EV conversion of a Smart, whether done at the factory, by a conversion
shop, or by a hobbyist, is just a fulfillment of the car's True Destiny.  ;-
)

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Dave King
The one they purchased was definitely not a Citi/Comutacar. That's a cheese
wedge
on wheels (a friend owns one painted yellow) The car Swatch purchased was
from a
defunct or on its way company. You could recognize or see a smart from
looking at
it. Not exactly looking the same but quite a few things were. I say nev as I
remember
the performance mentioned as being pretty sedate. I saw the picture and the
write
up a few years ago and filed it under so that's where it came from and kinda
interesting.

Dave

On Oct 13, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Dan Bentler wrote:

> I intend to convert 56 Chev pickup will drive with AC 3 phase.
> Will do hum drum 91 Izuzu as test project prototype.

Nice; hope it goes well.  Good idea to test it on the non-classic
pickup first!

I was actually asking about your air conditioning system.  You said
you've bought a brushless dc air conditioning system - what did you
buy?  I'm pondering how to do air conditioning in my EV, like many of
us on the list.

Thanks,

Doug

--
Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been there.  It's super!"
Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles "Pete" Conrad
http://www.gdunge.com/ |

Re: what are YOU going to convert to EV?

Dan Bentler
Was not me who had the AC system.
BUT now that you bring it up I have a question also.
When you use the term "brushless DC" what type motor are you referring to?
There is a 3 phase commonly called brushless DC which is a straight old 3 phase motor with a rotor made up of magnets.  Why they call it brushless DC is beyond me.

BUT they are good motors with lots of good performance features including torque.
Dan Bentler

> On Oct 13, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Dan Bentler wrote:
>
> > I intend to convert 56 Chev pickup will drive with AC
> 3 phase.
> > Will do hum drum 91 Izuzu as test project prototype.
>
> Nice; hope it goes well.  Good idea to test it on the
> non-classic
> pickup first!
>
> I was actually asking about your air conditioning system.
> You said
> you've bought a brushless dc air conditioning system -
> what did you
> buy?  I'm pondering how to do air conditioning in my
> EV, like many of
> us on the list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug
>
> --
> Doug Weathers          | "The Moon.  I've been
> there.  It's super!"
> Las Cruces, NM, USA    |   - Astronaut Charles
> "Pete" Conrad
> http://www.gdunge.com/ |

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

Hank Gagnon
Sorry about the language gentlemen. I just get so frustrated that these
people are allowed to maintain their Monoply they have on us, and nobody
seems to care, or even know the lengths that they go to maintain that
monopoly.

Hank

Chris Stephens wrote:

> I think you sensored the wrong words :-)
>

> Hank Gagnon wrote:
>
>> There is a yellow ICE version driving around the Tyngsbor, MA area.
>>
>> The smart for two ONLY gets 40mpg. Which defeats the purpose of
>> purchasing such a small vehicle. There are quite a few ICE cars that
>> seat more than two and get close to 40mpg. The American Big Three and
>> Big Oil just don't get it. Toyota and Honda continue to embarass them
>> by giving Americans what we need.
>>
>> I was always was a buy American person. That is over now. I have
>> 2006 (4) cylinder Ford Ranger right now which was fine when gas was
>> under 2.50 a gallon (Average 26mpg). My next vehicle will be a Honda
>> or  Toyota Hybrid or a PHEV. Fuck the Bu_ _ administration, Big Oil,
>> Chen_ _, and the Big Three American Auto manufactures. They are not
>> for whats better for America, they are for themselves. They are
>> treasoness traitors.
>>
>> Hank

Re: Smart Fortwo ED sighting

EVDL Administrator
On 14 Oct 2008 at 9:44, Hank Gagnon wrote:

> I just get so frustrated that these
> people are allowed to maintain their Monoply they have on us ...

The way to break petroleum's dominance of transportation is to build your
own EV.

No other vehicle (except maybe a bicycle) has the same level of fuel
flexibility.  There are many ways to make electricity.  Some of them can be
done in your back yard or on your rooftop. Last time I checked, it was still
really, really difficult for the average homeowner to capture gasoline
directly from the sun's rays. ;-)

We can vote, write our representatives, and perhaps work with lobbying or
special interest EV organizations.  All this might have some effect on how
transporation works.  But it's just as likely that we'll argue over so many
other issues in the political process that we'll get mired down.  That's why
the EVDL bans political discussion; it produces far more heat than light.

The change that really matters happens driveway by driveway.  If you really
want to make a difference, don''t wait for Detroit (or Tokyo or Beijing) to
make an EV for you.  Their record is one of  broken promises.  Just get out
there, lift the garage door, and do it!

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not