what kind of controller do you recommend?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what kind of controller do you recommend?

Josh and Jenifer
I've gotton the engine and transmission out of my (our) S-10,  working on the adapter plates and coupler for the motor (warp-9) to the tranny.  probably time to start seriously thinking about the controller.  there was one i heard about from Italy that had re-gen capabillity, does anyone know anything about it?  Where to get one, etc.?  Also you can see my truck at:      http://evalbum.austinev.org/1477
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what kind of controller do you recommend?

cowtown
<<< I've gotton the engine and transmission out of my (our) S-10,  
working on the
adapter plates and coupler for the motor (warp-9) to the tranny.  probably
time to start seriously thinking about the controller.  there was one i
heard about from Italy that had re-gen capabillity, does anyone know
anything about it?  Where to get one, etc.?  Also you can see my truck at:
http://evalbum.austinev.org/1477 >>>

That would be a ZAPI controller, such as  
http://www.zapiweb.com/details.php?lang=eng&prod=6&type=Technology&id=2

But regen on a series motor with the advanced brushes needed for  
efficient forward travel can be damaging - Curtis had model 1221R with  
the same issues. Series-wound don't adapt as safely to regen as  
shunt-wound or AC - movable brush rigging or adding a take-off to  
power an alternator is possible, if more Rube-Goldberg-like in  
complexity. Having driven a series powered EV without regen, it's less  
important if you learn to get the most from coasting!

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what kind of controller do you recommend?

Peter VanDerWal
In reply to this post by Josh and Jenifer
The Warp-9 is most likely a series wound motor.
Regen does not play well with ordinary series wound motors.
Unless you can find a series wound motor with interpoles (and I don't
think Warp is doing those yet), stay away from regen controllers.

Best bet is to go with either a Curtis (mediocre performance) or a 'Zilla
1k (decent performance, costs a bit more and probably have to wait a few
months)

>
> I've gotton the engine and transmission out of my (our) S-10,  working on
> the
> adapter plates and coupler for the motor (warp-9) to the tranny.  probably
> time to start seriously thinking about the controller.  there was one i
> heard about from Italy that had re-gen capabillity, does anyone know
> anything about it?  Where to get one, etc.?  Also you can see my truck at:
> http://evalbum.austinev.org/1477
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://www.nabble.com/what-kind-of-controller-do-you-recommend--tp14522357s25542p14522357.html
> Sent from the Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list archive at
> Nabble.com.
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>


--
If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
wish with the message.  By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what kind of controller do you recommend?

Josh and Jenifer
In reply to this post by cowtown
is zapi a good controller? has anyone had any experiance with it?

----- Original Message -----
From: <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] what kind of controller do you recommend?


> <<< I've gotton the engine and transmission out of my (our) S-10,
> working on the
> adapter plates and coupler for the motor (warp-9) to the tranny.  probably
> time to start seriously thinking about the controller.  there was one i
> heard about from Italy that had re-gen capabillity, does anyone know
> anything about it?  Where to get one, etc.?  Also you can see my truck at:
> http://evalbum.austinev.org/1477 >>>
>
> That would be a ZAPI controller, such as
> http://www.zapiweb.com/details.php?lang=eng&prod=6&type=Technology&id=2
>
> But regen on a series motor with the advanced brushes needed for
> efficient forward travel can be damaging - Curtis had model 1221R with
> the same issues. Series-wound don't adapt as safely to regen as
> shunt-wound or AC - movable brush rigging or adding a take-off to
> power an alternator is possible, if more Rube-Goldberg-like in
> complexity. Having driven a series powered EV without regen, it's less
> important if you learn to get the most from coasting!
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what kind of controller do you recommend?

Lee Hart
Josh Creel wrote:
> is zapi a good controller? has anyone had any experiance with it?

The Zapi is a cheap controller; for some that is one definition of good.
They offer a lot of features for the price (including regen on some
models), but are not built particularly well and service/repairs are
difficult.
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what kind of controller do you recommend?

Dan Frederiksen-2
what's cheap? and who are selling them

Lee Hart wrote:

> Josh Creel wrote:
>  
>> is zapi a good controller? has anyone had any experiance with it?
>>    
>
> The Zapi is a cheap controller; for some that is one definition of good.
> They offer a lot of features for the price (including regen on some
> models), but are not built particularly well and service/repairs are
> difficult.
>  

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev