what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Soren
Now that I have an EV and a blog, I get weekly emails from people who want to know if they can make the 100 mile trip from their house to their work every day.  I tell them probably not, I get 50 miles and %50 DOD.

But what is the max range that people here get.  ID 50 the max for Lead Acid?  what about NIMH ,and LI.  What are you long rangers getting in miles per charge.

Thanks

Soren

Re: what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Peter VanDerWal
Do a search for "Red Beastie"
Toyota pickup, 2400lbs(!) of lead.
120+ mile range.

> Now that I have an EV and a blog, I get weekly emails from people who want
> know if they can make the 100 mile trip from their house to their work
> every
> day.  I tell them probably not, I get 50 miles and %50 DOD.
>
> But what is the max range that people here get.  ID 50 the max for Lead
> Acid?  what about NIMH ,and LI.  What are you long rangers getting in
> miles
> per charge.
>
> Thanks
>
> Soren

> Nabble.com.

Re: what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Hello Soren,

The longest drive I did with the present EV I have now is 39.5 miles to 50%
DOD.  This is done with a EV that weighs 7100 lbs with 180 volt battery pack
of 260 AH Trojans T-145's on Dunlap 8 ply tires at 65PSI in a overall gear
ratio of 13.495:1.

The GE-11 motor rpm was kept to just below 6000 rpm which is about 40 mph
during this test drive.

This was done on a river road drive around the city where the road has
grades up to 7% for half the distance. Lots of short distance between up
hill and down hill, which I could roller coast some of the hills.

My maximum ampere at 35 mph was about 600 amps going up some hills and then
going down was 0 amps where the speeds would get up to about 60 mph that
would take me part way up the next hill was also 0 amps.

Once I got going to build up speed on the down runs, it may only take 200 to
300 motor amps to make it to the top of the hill which is about 75 to 100
battery amps.

I have only found one flat road for about 2 miles, where they just got done
taking out all the up and down grades. The EV can run at 100 motor amps at
40 battery amps at 30 mph on this short section which is also ultra smooth.

NOW, I know how some EV'ers feel like driving on flat only roads.

glasers wrote:
> Now that I have an EV and a blog, I get weekly emails from people who want to
> know if they can make the 100 mile trip from their house to their work every
> day.  I tell them probably not, I get 50 miles and %50 DOD.
>
> But what is the max range that people here get.  ID 50 the max for Lead
> Acid?  what about NIMH ,and LI.  What are you long rangers getting in miles
> per charge.

The best predictor of range is the percent battery weight to total
vehicle weight (with batteries). With lead-acid batteries:

25% - 10-20 mile range
30% - 20-40 mile range
40% - 30-60 mile range
45% - 40-80 mile range
50% - 60-120 mile range

Other battery technologies can do better; but cost is substantially
higher. Nicads are probably the only competitor for lead-acids on a
cost-per-mile base (3x the cost gives you more than 3x the life). Nimh
could be better, except they're even harder to get. Lithiums give you
several times the range per pound, but at much higher costs per mile.
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering

Re: what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Soren

Roland, I am measuring battery amps I think, in my EV, what knowledge do we get from measuring motor amps?

Would 600 amps being pulled, kill your battery pack, I have been trying to stay below 300 amps, with my 144v total 6v gc-2 battery pack.

When I hit a steep grade hill in 2nd gear I can only  go 20 mph with 300 amps being pulled, my system doesn't seem to want to do any more than that.  Is my controlled just weak?  (Curtis 1231 C)

Thnanks, there is just so much to learn.

Soren

Re: what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Soren
OK, I looked it up... 40 batteries makes sense, but how is this just 120V?

<quote author="Peter VanDerWal">
120+ mile range.

Re: what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Peter VanDerWal

> OK, I looked it up... 40 batteries makes sense, but how is this just 120V?

It's called a series/parallel pack.  Some folks call it "buddy pairs."
Hook two batteries in parallel and then wire up the buddy pairs in series.

With controllers that are available now, you could wire it up as a single
series of 240V.

Re: what's the longest range home brew ev you can make

Hello Seren,

Motor ampere is very important for me, because I want to stay at or below
the continuous rating of the motor, which for my Warp 9 or GE-11 is 200
motor amp continuous.

My battery ampere may only show 75 amps while my motor amperes is at 200
amps, so I know to stay at this amperage rating while climbing a long hill.

Before I had the Zilla controller and a motor ampere circuit that the Zilla
provided the motor amp indication,  I was running up long hills at 175
battery amperes which I found out was 500 to 600 motor amperes.  I had to
have the motor windings re-enamel which was easy for the motor shop to do,
because the field windings are space apart on insulating rods which also
allows for air flow through the field coils.